PDA

View Full Version : Common Mk4 Problems

Pages : [1] 2

Ol' Timer
11-01-2007, 09:43
I thought it might be useful to have a thread to post problems encountered on your Mk4 Ibiza to see how common they are and if they have been successfully solved, preferably under warranty.

I thought it could include the car model, the problem, the symptoms and then the action taken to cure the problem and was it a warranty claim.

Here's my list so far:

04 Reg. FR TDi.

Recall for fuel pump bolts.
Replaced under warranty but this caused a fuel leak which was then cured at the second attempt.

New brake light switch.
Glowplug light showing on dash.
Warranty fix.

New ABS ECU.
Power steering light showing on dash.
Warranty fix after 1 week wait for parts.

Fuel gauge stopped working.
Warranty fix of broken wire in footwell.

Creaking rear suspension.
Lubricated under warranty but ongoing problem when roads are salted.

Door seal round window replaced.
Excessive wind noise.
Warranty fix but badly fitted and did not cure problem.

Misting in all lights.
Removed bulbs and dried out headlights myself.
Comes and goes with atmospheric conditions.
Would not fix under warranty.

Various trim rattles.
Fixed myself with varying degrees of success.

Over to you now.:)

tommmineh
11-01-2007, 10:14
Wire from battery to starter motor
The plastic bit that plugs into the starter motor had broke, fixed by AA man with a spade clip :) Harder to fix on larger engines as lots less space in the bay.
symptoms - nothing happens when you turn the key, you can hear the fuel pump, but nowt else.

Timing chain (1.2 12v engine)
belt slips causing all sorts of chaos, common fault with this engine, can happen at low mileage! Mine happened at 45k when the car was just (3 weeks [:@] ) out of warranty. BIG BILL!
SEAT UK SHOULD OFFER A GOODWILL PAYMENT, if the dealer doesnt offer, talk to Seat customer services.
symptoms - car turns over but will not start

Black_FR
11-01-2007, 14:32
Rear Wash Wiper

Seems to be a common fault. The fluid tube disconnects from the wiper arm and then sends the contents into the boot.

Fixed under warrenty

jamesmckelvie
11-01-2007, 20:29
being built !

gazjones
11-01-2007, 20:57
Turbo manifold bolts on 20vt
these can work lose on mapped or standard car, starts with a loud whistle like kettle when on boost then gets more like blowing exhaust. fixed undr warrenty needed new gaskets and bolts happened over easter bank holiday so was with out car for over a week should be done in 2 days.

reedbradshaw
12-01-2007, 15:19
stalls when you try to start it in 1st or 2nd come to think of it any gear for that matter unless you have your clutch down.

breaks if you crash it.

warren_cox
12-01-2007, 15:44
We had 2 successive lambda probe failures. Eventually they agreed to replace the cat as well. (Ibiza 1.2S Mk4)

Ad Lav
12-01-2007, 16:16
coxw - love the new car mate!! New black one went past me this morning, sounds great, looks great, goes like stink!

capt.slow
13-01-2007, 11:49
I have an 05 1.4 5 door SE 75bhp.Usual washer pipe issues.Became disconnected first in the engine bay,then the hatch twice,then rear drivers side wheel arch.Fixed by myself.
Also a faulty coolant temperature sensor and a rattling catalytic converter both replaced under warranty

Andy5224
18-01-2007, 11:15
Wire from battery to starter motor
The plastic bit that plugs into the starter motor had broke, fixed by AA man with a spade clip :) Harder to fix on larger engines as lots less space in the bay.
symptoms - nothing happens when you turn the key, you can hear the fuel pump, but nowt else.

belt slips causing all sorts of chaos, common fault with this engine, can happen at low mileage! Mine happened at 45k when the car was just (3 weeks [:@] ) out of warranty. BIG BILL!
SEAT UK SHOULD OFFER A GOODWILL PAYMENT, if the dealer doesnt offer, talk to Seat customer services.
what kind of noise did the belt make? i have some weird (whistling noise) usually when i go up hill at 1500-2000rpm. anything similar?

tommmineh
18-01-2007, 11:42
Doesn't make any noise AFAIK

I'd driven the car a bit in the morning, noticed nothing unusual, I cleaned it, then moved it out of the way to clean another car, went to start it a short time later and it wouldnt start.

Andy5224
19-01-2007, 08:48
till now (i have the car for 2 years now) i had the:
rear wiper problem - fixed in 10 minutes covered by warranty
door sensor - needs new lock costing 110pounds, (usually covered by waranty but mine expired)
Some noise coming from the engine - at the service the dont hear anything! but i do!
vibration inside... when i got the car i tried to figure out where it was coming from and fix it by taking apart some panels and fixing them back (did it with the side panel in the boot). but now that the vibration comes from almost everywhere i got used to it

red_october
27-01-2007, 15:58
My dealer said he's never heard about this timing chain problem before....
I've had the washer pipe come off 3 times, EGR valve fault twice and coil pack once.

Nath.
27-01-2007, 23:24
hey Red October, I used to know a guy on the CB years ago with that handle

where abouts are you ?

alex@2006
05-02-2007, 16:14
belt slips causing all sorts of chaos, common fault with this engine, can happen at low mileage! Mine happened at 45k when the car was just (3 weeks ) out of warranty. BIG BILL!

I know what you mean when i turn the key all u can hear is the engine trying to start but i wont. Mechanic had a look at it and told me the belt had sliped which wouldnt allow it to start. I contacted Seat to ask when i could take the car down to them so they can fix it. All i got was an answer saying sorry sir we are fully booked untill the 1st of march :wtf: so much for customer service. so now ive had to pay £650 to get this problem fixed which of course Seat wont pay for or even botherd to have a look at. [:@]

tommmineh
05-02-2007, 16:45
How old's the car? Could you not've took it to a different dealer?

deezal
11-02-2007, 13:49
A few niggles have appeared after 3.5 years :
Rear washer pipe came off during freezing weather

Offside Rear speaker not working

Faulty Recirc. switch (or bulb)

spyke85
15-02-2007, 10:36
Regarding the noisy window seal, I had to replace mine myself and since the wind noise is terrible. Should I remove it, and try refitting it and the mirror?

FLK
19-02-2007, 23:41
Another niggle, handbrake button sticking in on release. I've been to the dealer and had the cover replaced but it's still happening. Car's an 06 plate FR 20vt and has done less than 6500 miles in 8 months.

osorabjee
05-03-2007, 21:38
I have a clunking noise on my 130 sport 02. It comes from the passenger side front wheel when you pull off and go over bumps...any ideas?
Has anyone had any problems with rear wishbone bushes wearing badly? what price am i looking at?

deadeyejim
06-03-2007, 17:48
1.4 Sport 05 Reg

Speed sensor failure at 7777 miles. Car started to lose power and put it back on again whenever it wanted to.
Fixed under warranty

Fuel gauge started giving erratic readings.
Fixed under warranty

loonymoon
07-03-2007, 12:39
I have a 2004 54 Mk4 1.4SX (75ps) here's my mini list so far all under warranty:

Replaced headlight switch as front fogs kept coming on without switch being pulled at all - switch faulty.

Just had it serviced and the dealer said the radiator is leaking - can't be bad as I haven't noticed at all. This is being replaced soon.

Headlights fog but not badly.

I think the previous owner must have had the washpipe problem as when I went to see the car the boot card was out and the bits were everywhere!

naz_ty
25-03-2007, 12:53
my 06 cupra 160ps tdi has had both headlights replaced as they fogged up and condensation formed inside the light causing water droplets.... One was replaced in October 06 and the other in Jan 07. They have been ok since. At the dealer they told me a story that the lights are manufactured in Spain and its to do with the change in temperature when they come into the UK. Lets just say i took that news with a pinch of salt. I felt the wool was being pulled over my eyes :d

pedy
29-03-2007, 18:40
iv had the usual rear washer problem (which happened with my mk 3 aswell a god few times!)
also the fogging of the headlamps, taillamps and 1 of the side repeaters (also happened on my mk3 with the front fogs)

also, when i stop and reverse - when as i touch the brakes a sharp clunk comes from the o/s/f corner, then when i stop and pull forward it does the same, any1 else had this?

ibiza_1.4tdi
01-04-2007, 15:22
reply : also, when i stop and reverse - when as i touch the brakes a sharp clunk comes from the o/s/f corner, then when i stop and pull forward it does the same, any1 else had this?

- i had this problem on my honda civic its when the brakepads have been replaced with slightly smaller ones causing them to slide in the carriers, doesnt cause any damage just annoying.

pedy
02-04-2007, 17:15
cheers mate, was a bit worried about it, its got a years warranty anyway!

ADM
06-04-2007, 17:56
06 Ibiza Cupra TDI

Back passenger window leaking in water - new window fitted
center caps on alloys becoming discoloured.

andyfras
12-04-2007, 15:24
Rear engine mount connecting rod on '03 TDi 130.

Central locking problems early on. Now the driver's door will not auto-lock when driving.

Fangio
21-04-2007, 05:56
First purchased 11/05 and 17,000 mls to date 130Tdi Fr
.........................................................................................
Few rattles all fixed by myself - wind noise comes from the door mirror (it needs the little vanes a la BMW)
Electric mirrors packed up and it took two days to trace the fault (wire had been crimped in manufacture)
Complete coolant loss (poorly postitioned clip eating into pipe) 4 day wait for new pipe, and very strange burning smell thereafter, which seems to be lessening.
Drivers side seatbelt does not retract properly.
Really no worse than any other car I've had and a darn sight more fun to drive.
I still think the clutch is heavy and a bit sudden and the brakes need too much of a shove; I'll put this all down to RH drive conversion.

Empi5
21-04-2007, 06:45
06 FR Tdi.

1. Rear Wash Wiper jet- Stopped working, fixed under warranty

2. Rear brake light fault - fixed under warranty, short circuit possibly to do with the above.

3. Headlight Condensation - Both lights replaced under warranty

4. VAG COM shows a fault with the central locking but dealer says they cant find anything !

18000 miles in 10 months ! :)

Sim2cool
25-04-2007, 19:36
07 Cupra TDi

Picked it up Monday

Tuesday i had to take it back because of warning light apparently passenger airbag is brocken & needs to be replaced on order!

Today front drivers side head light fogged up!

Hopefully thats the end of the problems its only done 400 miles!!!

naz_ty
25-04-2007, 21:15
07 Cupra TDi

Picked it up Monday

Tuesday i had to take it back because of warning light apparently passenger airbag is brocken & needs to be replaced on order!

Today front drivers side head light fogged up!

Hopefully thats the end of the problems its only done 400 miles!!!

heya, post some photos of your derv in the photos section? my cupra is nearly a year old! both headlights replaced (see above)

robjackson
09-05-2007, 21:38
1.2s
coil pack problem
timing chain slipped
both window regulators broken
rear washer problem x2
nsf suspension bushing went also
Now i think lambda sensor/s

Johnsey
09-05-2007, 22:24
02 TDi Sport

Rear wash pipe popped off several times,
GPS aerial popped off the back of the Sat Nav a few times,
gearbox replaced (warranty),
paintwork resprayed (warranty),
front bushes replaced,
track rod ends replaced,
a section of intercooler pipe replaced,
broken cup holder (not bothered replacing)
....think thats about it :D

skott101
12-05-2007, 01:59
Just had a similar problem on my 04 TDI. In my case it was the front lower wishbone assembly which had worn badly. My car was fitted with polyproperlene bushes at some point in it's past but they were badly damaged due to no lubrication on the securing bolt/pin.

You cannot buy a genuine bush seperately, it's part of the whole wishbone assembly. Dealer cost was £67 plus VAT. I picked on up from ebay for £40. It's an arse of a job to do but lots cheaper than the £190 i was quoted from a garage!

I'm told polyprop. bushes improve handling lots but given their quick expiry on my car, i'll stick to OEM stuff.

Oh and a btw... my Seat dealer told me the rear bush is a very common failure. I changed mine while i was at it. They are £8 inc VAT from a dealer.

Hope this helps!

MK8
12-05-2007, 03:06
'53 Reg Ibiza 1.4 S - 37k

New Steering Rack - £550
New Steering angle Sensor - £95
New Steering Pump - £900

Also get suspension knock on full lock, and ofcourse headlight condensation!

All in one month, which happened to be 4 months after manufacturers guarentee ran out

Now bought a £200 warranty from warrantydirect - sick of paying bills!

keebo_sioux
12-05-2007, 18:24
'03 Sport TDI 5 door...still love it, but:

rear washer problem - once. They recommended we ensure that there was really good de-icer in the windscreen washer...no idea if it made any difference but it hasn't happened again...yet

headlights also mist up.

Both headlight bulbs went suddenly at around two years, only sidelights came on. Reckon it's unlikely that would happen "naturally" - cost me £26 (not impressed!) because I thought it was a fault and they reckoned wear and tear.

Since the car was two and a half years old I have had problems with the aircon. It can do cold - "lo" and it can do "hot" - so anything from 18C-24C comes out as 28C! The fan is also very confused, it blasts out air then cuts out, then blasts it and cuts out again. At the 3 year service they replaced a part , said it was one of the fans not working (they took the dash off), but it's no different now. I could not afford to go back there as the dealer is not nearby so I left it. I'm due a 4 year service in July but it's now out of warranty and going to be expensive to fiddle with the air con.

Because of the air-con problem, the CD unit gets hot and won't eject the CDs until they have cooled down. It tries to eject and then displays "mechanic" on the screen. CDs also jump if the unit heats up. Again, I asked them to look at this at the last service and they couldn't find anything because it only does it when the unit is warm from the air con problem! To be honest, this one annoys me because the old 1.4 estilo Ibiza I had before used to get hot too and wouldn't play tapes, so I know it is almost a 'design feature' - ie naff design. Any long journeys and after an hour or so I am stuck with the radio unless I turn the aircon off completely.

Also, you describe a knock when reversing, I have experienced that but I get more a squeaaaak if I reverse - i think it's only when I am steering, usually more prominent when it's wet, like I have my foot on a worn brake. One guy even told me "get your foot off the brake" when i wasn't even on it so it sounds like that to others too.

Johnsey
13-05-2007, 17:49
Oh that reminded me, had the air con unit replaced.. twice! :rolleyes:

Tom B
14-05-2007, 15:11
Seeing the cars have all these faults, how much is extended warranty?

MK8
15-05-2007, 11:48
I bought full top level warranty from WarrantyDirect, you can knock them down in the quotation price that the website will give you on the phone. From £220 for 12 months, i got 13 months cover for £200. Not major discount, but definately good enough! I think its excellent value for money. Cover seems more comprehensive than the competition aswell, for a lower price.

Tom B
15-05-2007, 14:02
Have you ever claimed on it? My worry with aftermarket warranty is that its like insurance - they'll do anything to get out of paying.

If I extend it, it'll be through SEAT.

chris04 sx
16-05-2007, 16:32
I have a clunking noise on my 130 sport 02. It comes from the passenger side front wheel when you pull off and go over bumps...any ideas?
Has anyone had any problems with rear wishbone bushes wearing badly? what price am i looking at?

I have the same clunking noise, but i never know when it gonna happen so i dont know where its coming from!! sound like passenger side!! chris..

Johnsey
16-05-2007, 16:37
I have the same clunking noise, but i never know when it gonna happen so i dont know where its coming from!! sound like passenger side!! chris..

I used to have the noise, until I replaced the bushes and the track rod ends... so far it's been as quiet as a mouse :D

chris04 sx
16-05-2007, 18:40
I used to have the noise, until I replaced the bushes and the track rod ends... so far it's been as quiet as a mouse :D

were the track rod ends worn then player? i can understand about the bushes... chris..

Johnsey
16-05-2007, 18:47
were the track rod ends worn then player? i can understand about the bushes... chris..

I wouldn't describe myself as a 'player' but the N/S track rod end had a lot of play in it. In fairness though it has taken a fair amount of abuse in 100k miles and didnt take long to replace, about 20 minutes each side

MK8
16-05-2007, 19:26
Have you ever claimed on it? My worry with aftermarket warranty is that its like insurance - they'll do anything to get out of paying.

If I extend it, it'll be through SEAT.

I went through that, but i searched for a few reviews, and they seemed the best. i havnt claimed yet, i only just bought the cover. They seem like they are a good company, ill find out soon if i have to claim. The level of cover is so much cheaper than Seat's equivalent, all Seat do, like the other manufacturers, is go through an external company anyway, and charge you a premium.

Try searching for reviews for "WarrantyDirect", could save your self a lot of money.

rob1
17-05-2007, 20:00
front left sidelight keeps blowing - right side still on original.

turbo replaced, although it was remapped....:lol:

rear washer came undone a few times, they have a new modified clip out now - no problems since.

strange engine/ turbo stutter at lowish rpm - its like i lose boost, seat checked all pipes and cant find a problem but admit there are some 'flat spots'. My mate advised me that this is sometimes problems with the EGR valve that needs cleaning with some carb cleaner.. Any one else had this problem and know if its just something that needs a clean???

air con keeps getting spiked according to my vag com and from the way it randomly flashes some days - seems to work though!

pmdc199
18-05-2007, 10:02
Turbo manifold bolts on 20vt
these can work lose on mapped or standard car, starts with a loud whistle like kettle when on boost then gets more like blowing exhaust. fixed undr warrenty needed new gaskets and bolts happened over easter bank holiday so was with out car for over a week should be done in 2 days.

I have a grunting sound when i accelerated, sort of sounds like a blown exhaust, worse when engine put under pressure> i have on 03 tdi sport 130 diesel, do you think that could be the bolts?

Johnsey
18-05-2007, 10:13
I have a grunting sound when i accelerated, sort of sounds like a blown exhaust, worse when engine put under pressure> i have on 03 tdi sport 130 diesel, do you think that could be the bolts?

Could just be the IC pipe vibrating, does it do it on tick over ?

greenakd
20-06-2007, 21:07
my wife owns a little 1.2 ibiza chill in yellow on a 56 plate.
picked it up in april with 46 miles on it.
it has now got just over 1000 miles on it and the power steering packed up today.
called seat assistance they couldn't work out what was wrong so told my wife to drive to local dealer.
they have now got the car but not sure how long they will have it for.
but got courtesy car for the duration.
anyone else out there had a similar prob on such a new car.[:@]

chris04 sx
20-06-2007, 22:38
Hay thats bad news.. bet thats pissed u off. my cars fine, but iam a tech at Chrysler dealership and we have 06/56 plate Grand Voyagers with leaking steering racks at 400 miles - 5000 miles... all are replaced under warranty!!
U would have though both manu's. have been making cars for yeah and would have got the simplest things made to last...

greenakd
21-06-2007, 21:27
my wife owns a little 1.2 ibiza chill in yellow on a 56 plate.
picked it up in april with 46 miles on it.
it has now got just over 1000 miles on it and the power steering packed up today.
called seat assistance they couldn't work out what was wrong so told my wife to drive to local dealer.
they have now got the car but not sure how long they will have it for.
but got courtesy car for the duration.
anyone else out there had a similar prob on such a new car.[:@]

my local dealer has phoned us today and said that we should have the car back for wednesday.
it was the power steering pump.:(

licklelady
26-06-2007, 21:37
brought my 2002 1.2s in July 2005.

1. Drive it off the forecourt and 1 mile down the road the temp gauge goes right up and then engine cuts out. It had an oil leak aparantly which dripped onto a belt and made it slip and then it shredded! - fixed under warranty

2. Grinding/rubbing noise coming from front when going over bumps - had roll bar bushes replaced under warranty - problem is still there

3. Drivers window regualtor goes while on the M6 - problem fixed under warranty

4. Remote central locking stopped working - key replaced under warranty

5. leak coming from somewhere - drivers and behind drivers footwells are soaking wet, have to wet and dry vac it every time it rains - had door seal replaced, window seals checked - still not fixed

6. Cigarette lighter only works when it wants to - and even then doesnt get very hot - socket isnt even producing enough power to charge my phone - not fixed, not in the mood to spend money on the shed!

7. Passenger door refusing to open - wont respond to the remote key and wont let me pull the pin up from inside either. Cant put the key in the door cause the passenger side doesnt have a key hole! - still not fixed (hoping to vag com it at coombe abbey meet)

7. Timimg chain slipped, tensioner snapped = £350 bill. - fixed reluctantly

and the latest...

8. Rear washer jet not working - am guessing the pipe has come off - not fixed.

I really do love my car

greenakd
27-06-2007, 18:42
we got the car back from the dealer last friday so very quick service and it was the power steering pump.

my wife also has a slight grinding noise from the front of her car when travelling at about 15 mph, braking and turning. we have spoken to the dealer but as usual they couldn't find anything wrong:confused:

chris04 sx
27-06-2007, 18:49

1. Drive it off the forecourt and 1 mile down the road the temp gauge goes right up and then engine cuts out. It had an oil leak aparantly which dripped onto a belt and made it slip and then it shredded! - fixed under warranty

2. Grinding/rubbing noise coming from front when going over bumps - had roll bar bushes replaced under warranty - problem is still there

5. leak coming from somewhere - drivers and behind drivers footwells are soaking wet, have to wet and dry vac it every time it rains - had door seal replaced, window seals checked - still not fixed

6. Cigarette lighter only works when it wants to - and even then doesnt get very hot - socket isnt even producing enough power to charge my phone - not fixed, not in the mood to spend money on the shed!

7. Passenger door refusing to open - wont respond to the remote key and wont let me pull the pin up from inside either. Cant put the key in the door cause the passenger side doesnt have a key hole! - still not fixed (hoping to vag com it at coombe abbey meet)

and the latest...

I really do love my car

Thats a list!!!!!..
# 8 is a common problem.. but i never look out my rear window & never use my wash/wipe..
#7 dont u have to double click the eye remote..

licklelady
27-06-2007, 22:16

and the latest...

I really do love my car

i forgot......

9. this came after number 3 on the list - lol - when accelerating, my car would lose power, like a flat spot and then it would feel like it was braking although i wasnt pressing the brake. happened in all gears at all speeds. Turned out to be one of my brake sensors sticking, so when i was accelerating, my abs was tring to kick in at the same time (i think thats what it was) - fixed under warranty

funboy.ch
29-06-2007, 17:54
1.4 Sport 05 Reg

Speed sensor failure at 7777 miles. Car started to lose power and put it back on again whenever it wanted to.
Fixed under warranty

Fuel gauge started giving erratic readings.
Fixed under warranty

hi there mate, you say the car started losing power? as in the engine sort of just cut off and lost power or just started going slower?

every now and then my Ibiza Sport will just cut the engine off while I am driving, regardless of what speed. Sometimes happends 3 times a days, sometimes once a month.

funboy.ch
29-06-2007, 18:02
'

Since the car was two and a half years old I have had problems with the aircon. It can do cold - "lo" and it can do "hot" - so anything from 18C-24C comes out as 28C! The fan is also very confused, it blasts out air then cuts out, then blasts it and cuts out again. At the 3 year service they replaced a part , said it was one of the fans not working (they took the dash off), but it's no different now. I could not afford to go back there as the dealer is not nearby so I left it. I'm due a 4 year service in July but it's now out of warranty and going to be expensive to fiddle with the air con.

I have the same problem :(

pmdc199
26-07-2007, 16:28
Oh that reminded me, had the air con unit replaced.. twice! :rolleyes:

was it the compressor that failed? did you have to pay for it?

pmdc199
26-07-2007, 16:33
Could just be the IC pipe vibrating, does it do it on tick over ?

Not on tick over or if you push throttle on still, seems to happen when engine under load. Someone suggested a gasket on turbo and the bolts being lose?

Johnsey
26-07-2007, 16:35
was it the compressor that failed? did you have to pay for it?

No, various motors failed. It needs regassing now :(

The Ginge
27-07-2007, 19:00
Black Magic 2003 SEAT Ibiza 3 Door TDi Sport 130 with Leather Seats

Just had done:

* New front wishbone bushes
* New rear wiper motor
* Cam belt (But that was standard 55K job)

Under warranty a couple of years ago, a new Air Con Compresser (Car barely 2 years old at that point) and also a new radiator as it was leaking coolant.

Making me think at the moment that I might go for a Honda Civic Type S next time! Will it win my money over a TDi Cupra?!?!?!

Yella Beeza
28-07-2007, 14:59
I'll have to be careful when I say this (touch wood!) - but my FR TDi hasn't had to go back for any repairs (yet?). New March 07.

Sorted out the loose trim behind the pedal box myself, and, yes, it has misting inside the headlamps but provided the covers on the back are vented properly this shouldn't be an issue.

Also a few blemishes on the bonnet caused by not being sprayed properly, but having done concours d'elegance shows for a number of years in the 1990's I sorted this out myself.:)

kris_tdi
23-08-2007, 18:40
Not on tick over or if you push throttle on still, seems to happen when engine under load. Someone suggested a gasket on turbo and the bolts being lose?

i have exactly this same problem, did you manage to find out what it was?

mine only does it when driving, i cant replicate it when the car is stationary.

Mr.SeZ
31-08-2007, 21:52
hi people, i used 2 have a mk2 4 a couple of months. sold it and now have a 05 ibiza cupra. since i have had i have been back 2 the dealer 3 times in as many months.

1) seal gone on head light.
2) a bracket on exhaust and manifold needed replacing, causing a knocking noise
3) paint peeling off fog light surround

all sorted under warranty. anyone else had similar problems?

Monkey_Boy
25-10-2007, 00:19
So far I have had 3 MK4s.
'53 plate 1.4S - Dashboard lights flickering - Warranty repair - common fault
'02 plate 1.9TDI (100) - Front suspension bushes disintegrated (Never had it fixed - would have been £200+); Air conditioning either v.hot or v.cold (warranty repair) also regassed air con for free!; air bag warning light constantly flashing - never repaired; dashboard lights flickering (warranty repair).
'06 plate TDI Cupra - Rear window washer pipe disconnected; Fog in headlights (Warranty replacement); Front driver's sun visor snapped (Warranty replacement - took 4 weeks to get the part); Rattling from Turbo (Replaced bolts); rattling from behind dashboard (They can't find it yet!).

Still love these cars though, esp the cupra!

nealo
30-10-2007, 12:56
had a 1.2 from new for 3 and a half years and the ECU packed up after 3weeks. that got replaced under warranty and the rest of the 3.5yrs was trouble free apart from the usual rear washer spraying water into the boot thing!

bought my tdi cupra new last year and so far the following problems have occurred :-( but all fixed under warranty.
- electric folding (convenience pack option) o/s door mirror broke - when openeing the mirrors out this one wouldn't stop, and would fold back on itself. the whole unit was replaced.
- turbo pipe split causing very loud hissing and lots of black soot!!
- vacuum hose assembly broke so couldn't brake properly. not a good thing!
- emissions light came on now and again.
- numerous rattles.
- it was recalled to check that the airbag controller was correct and that the correct airbag would go off if needed!! worrying!
- passenger seat doesn't lock back in place properly when you let someone in the back, unless someone sits in it. - this one has yet to be sorted as i forgot to mention it last time i was at the garage.

so more has gone wrong on the cupra than the 1.2, but i don't care its still a lovely car!!

nealo
30-10-2007, 12:59
So far I have had 3 MK4s.
'53 plate 1.4S - Dashboard lights flickering - Warranty repair - common fault
'02 plate 1.9TDI (100) - Front suspension bushes disintegrated (Never had it fixed - would have been £200+); Air conditioning either v.hot or v.cold (warranty repair) also regassed air con for free!; air bag warning light constantly flashing - never repaired; dashboard lights flickering (warranty repair).
'06 plate TDI Cupra - Rear window washer pipe disconnected; Fog in headlights (Warranty replacement); Front driver's sun visor snapped (Warranty replacement - took 4 weeks to get the part); Rattling from Turbo (Replaced bolts); rattling from behind dashboard (They can't find it yet!).

Still love these cars though, esp the cupra!

rattling behind dashboard - mine had this. i thought it was behind the dashboard too. its actually the air intake right at the front of the car - you'll see its a bit loose - just needs a cable tie round it ;-)

chrisRibiza
01-11-2007, 10:25
Got my 07 ibiza sport in June:
So far it has only had misting up headlights but these were ordered on 17th Sept and i am still waiting for them to arrive! Not impressed!

Guinness
01-11-2007, 11:42
just drill em mate, best way 2 fix em.

robcornwall2003
17-11-2007, 13:21
Mine has been the following,

Airbag slip ring = 4 times its been replaced over the last 3 years (bought from new) under warranty. The 4th time has been today but told that if it does it again then its a new airbag.

Suspension = shock absorbers, top mounts, drop link, greasing, again under warranty over 4 visits

CV boot, warranty

Turbo intercooler pipe nearly came off, now cable tied

Other than that its been ok, had a few rattles, bulbs seem to blow quick, oh and the back discs creek when getting in and out of the car, other than that nothing major.

Lordy
28-11-2007, 15:54
Hello everyone, new to the forum and am after a bit of advice.

Have had a '52 1.2 Ibiza for about 4 months now, no problems until I had put it in to have it's annual service.

All was good until they tried to start it the next day and it was dead! They tried everything, and to cut a long story short, the timing belt had slipped!!(after a week of trying to figure out what was wrong!!!)

Cost £480 to fix it:censored::censored: Have spoken to SEAT regarding payment for the problem, and they have come back and said they will not pay a penny as the repairs were not carried out at a SEAT dealership!!

Am absolutley furious as SEAT knew all along that is wasn't at a dealership!

Can someone confirm that the chain slipping is a SEAT design fault and that SEAT knew about the problem, hence they have issued a modified part!!

If so can someone give me reference I could use regarding the design fault and has anyone had any success in claiming back any money from SEAT.

Thanks for you help, Lordy

OFX
09-12-2007, 05:43
Hello I am a new but old user i had a 1.4 mk4 ibiza untill i broke it by smaking it to a nother car any to cut a long story shorti now bouth a new cupra 1.8t i picked it up on 25 october i had so many problems i cant belive how they can sell these cars like this first when i whent to pick it up i noticed that it had a 6 speed gear nob and i was shore they are 5 speed and when i asked the sales rep he said they made some changes to the 08 model whic was the model i was getting and on the way back home from the dealers i found out i could not get it in to 6th gear when i phoned them 10 min from picking it up they said that they made a mistake and they will order me a new 5 speed gear nob its been 2 months and still now show. Now i have other problems as well 1- the rev nedle keeps moving on its own verry little on iddle 2- there is a very squcing noise when on full lock 3- when you put the cluch down there is a metal rubbing noise 4- under seal wasnt done properly 5-cople of srews missing from the mud guard and so on it hase been nothing but a joke this car it was spose to be brand new not second hand when i spoke to seat uk abouth the problems they said in so many words we dont care it is between you and the dealer wick i will advise and one not to buy a new seat from seat sidcup or bromley they are a joke or any wj king groupe i am trying to resolve these problems at the moment and i will let you now how i got on but any advice will be help full [:@]

OFX
09-12-2007, 05:45
does any one know how can these people be reported to so this cind of thing dont happen again to any one. thank you

chris04 sx
10-12-2007, 17:50
I agree, my local seat dealer is rubbish, sales and reception that is. 8/10 for the parts department, but sales and service side are rubish. they don't care about anyones problems.

my advice is go to another garage for ur mud flat screws and noises.

OFX
11-12-2007, 15:46
i manged to get the problems solved by another dealer and they the most helfull dealer that i have seen they let me come in the work shop and look and show them what was the problems and they showed me why it will couse it first they changed the cv boots from rubber to plastick that was the first noise the scoond problem which was the engine movement it was that they put a stablising bar on the back of the engine they said with out it it will brake the manifod and exhaust and the other prublems like the mud guard and under seal i done it my self being in the trade my self. the gear nob i am still waiting for.

canonman
11-12-2007, 23:24
Had my ibiza for 2 weeks when I got it pulling to the left. They switched the wheels around. Passanger door handle stayed open, some lube sorted that and the gas peddle sqeeks

Mr.SeZ
12-12-2007, 18:01
my boot wont open at all. whats that all about!!!!its goin back on the 18th 2 get it sorted.

yellowdan05
17-12-2007, 20:25
Day1. Car went in to limp mode, Something to do with the ECU ?
had to phone Seat Asstance as it was a saturday after 12 dealer shut. got courtsy car untill mine fixed 2 days later FIXED on warrantry

Normal rear washer FIXED on warrantry
Rear window smashed as i was on the M60 car park the heated screen was on... no other reason .. (got fixed on my Insurance).

36,000miles took it in for checks before the warranty ran out
New front wishbone bushes FIXED on warrantry
Door seal around both doors gone brittle and rubbed away paintwork to the metal, replaced door seals and new paint.
Airbag light on Fixed.

I also got a few bumps pulled out (for a few quid) well worth it, they also touched up all the stone chips....

Various other niggles but everything FIXED on warrantry which i expected.

New front grill as the dog missshaped the old one
New crome mirrors fitted for free

David Cooks (Oldham) good dealer an always help out :D

Merry crimbo to All :p

Tom B
17-12-2007, 20:46
In my Cupra I have a knocking noise coming from the dash on the nearside, I guess it could be the rear wishbone bush, but surely not at 11k? I had the same noise in my old 85k Ibiza 130 and I put it down to it being a crock.

Also, Cupras seem to pull to the left, don't know why but all of them seem to do it.

JPS3290
18-12-2007, 17:18
Took mine in yesterday as a bubble has appeared in the paint on the rear tailgate near to the Seat badge. Wasn't their a week ago when I washed the car.

Looks like it will blister up and then form rust. It's getting slightly larger each day with the wet/cold weather up here.

They took photo's yesterday to see if Seat would fix it under warranty. I mentioned paint issues when I first bought the car and their won't be any 'if' about fixing it as i'm severely pi$$ed off with the issue's i've had fixed since buying it, including a new alloy.

Outstanding niggles:

1. Also need to look at why the engine fan keeps coming on for a split second along with the climate panel flashing.
2. Slight clunking on the front end when turning over a rough surface.
3. Vibration noise when clutch is pressed to the floor, sounds like release bearing.

Mine (57 Cupra TDI) pulls to the left slightly but nothing i'm concerned with, feels more like it's following the camber and is not as bad as the scooby.

C12HLL
04-01-2008, 22:46
The headlamps fogging up is a common problem on most makes of car now. This is down to the atmosphere inside plastic lensed headlamps.
Which most manufacturers now use. Honda actually released a bulletin which detailed puttin silica gel packs into the headlamp casing to absorb the moisture.

Also the Cupra's pulling to the left is common on most cars when what are standard cars are fitted with wider rims and tyres. Its normally down to the tyres tram lining more. Basically the wider track means it accentuates the camber on the road more. Many people complain but you'll find thats what SEAT will use as an explanation.

Only my ideas as to whats up having worked with a few other manufacturers warranties.

JPS3290
04-01-2008, 23:24
Had word back the bubble in the paint which is now 3 times the size than it was will be repaired under warranty on the 15th-17th. Not like they could get away with it on a 57 plate car! Other issues will be looked at while it's in.

Octane2097
05-01-2008, 00:05
got a weird problem with my rear wiper searched on here cant find anything!
it will squirt washer but the wiper arm wont move
but if i play with the trip computer (changing display to MPG, Trip Time, Clock etc) or pressing the reset button on the stalk sometimes it starts working, makes me belive its not the motor itself its the swich since its all on the same stalk
any thoughts?

Oh also since i had new tyres fitted on front car seems to pull to left, but fella that fitted them says its not the tracking
whatelse could it be?

kriso
05-01-2008, 15:16
1. Also need to look at why the engine fan keeps coming on for a split second along with the climate panel flashing.

The climate control panel flashing is a fault. Had it on mine and they fixed faulty air-con sensor under warranty.

JPS3290
05-01-2008, 15:52
The climate control panel flashing is a fault. Had it on mine and they fixed faulty air-con sensor under warranty.

I thought I had read it could be that. It's one of the things being looked at when the paint work goes in to be fixed.

CHR15-53AT
14-01-2008, 22:35
Just recently ive noticed a strage rubbing / squeaking noise coming from the front wipers as they go up / reach the right hand side of the screen. I popped the bonnet to see if something was caught on part of the arms but cant see anything. I think it might be rubbing on the bonnet release cable, because i can see a clip that is not holding anything. Anyone else ever come across this? I will post a pic if i can get a good shot to show exactly what i mean.

JPS3290
16-01-2008, 21:44
Car went in yesterday morning for the paint work (bubble) to be repaired on the tailgate along with, clutch rattle when depressed, noisy 2nd gear when coming off the accelerator, smashed engine cover from new, faulty climate control/radiator fan and ABS fault according to VAG-COM.

Supposed to take 2 days so will chase them tomorrow. What do I get in the mean time, the most awful god damn slow car that was ever manufactured. 1.4 Petrol Ibiza Stylance. Argh. I do 70 miles a day travelling from sea level up and over 1000ft to get home and it does NOT do hills.

Put my foot down in 4th when I got it and nothing happened?? lol 3rd wasn't much better.

The Ginge
31-01-2008, 21:24
Black Magic 2003 SEAT Ibiza 3 Door TDi Sport 130 with Leather Seats

Just had done:

* New front wishbone bushes
* New rear wiper motor
* Cam belt (But that was standard 55K job)

Under warranty a couple of years ago, a new Air Con Compresser (Car barely 2 years old at that point) and also a new radiator as it was leaking coolant.

To add to my previous post last year, gearbox problems, selector fork went and did a tour of the gearbox. Needed to be reconditioned and also a new clutch in there as well, the clutch was 50/50 but decided to replace it as might have to keep the car for a few more years yet and it wasn't going to cost any extra labour.

Won't buy another unless I get warranty thrown in over and above what is left of the standard warranty. Choice for the dealer will be simple, do that or I won't buy one! I'll be off to the Honda garage instead!

Fangio
03-02-2008, 02:30
Tdi 130 Fr:
Electric door mirrors packed up due to a crimped wire in production.
Total loss of coolant once again a production problem as a clip had been badly fitted.
Both fixed more or less efficiently under warranty.
Other than a pulling to the left which I think will be fixed by alignment there have been no problems.
It'd be nice to have a boot light which seems a strange thing not to have; the brakes are too heavy(a problem I reckon caused because us brits drive on the wrong side of the road); there is a lot of wind noise.
Other than that it is a cracking little car and well made too. In fact much better built than the Saabs' I've owned previously.
It is supposed to have traction control but the threshold is set so high it hardly ever kicks in - this car was made for its' home market and shows that distinctly.
The climate control is first rate and really effective apart from needing to take both eyes off the road to adjust it.
It's a gutsy little number with a bit of character that could easily be made very good indeed.
I'd look forward to a new model that got rid of the road noise which is the cars biggest let down.

Brummy
17-02-2008, 17:57
Seems Ive just joined the rear washer club :( never happened on my first one, but missus B mentioned it (again) today, so whilst she was vaccing the car out, i topped up the fluids and tested it.. front is/are fine, rear wiper moves but the wateretc comes out from the channel under the front passenger area ( car was admittedly on slight incline on drive ) felt in and arond boot , but all seems dry
looks like one of my days off in the near future will be spent down at the delaers :(

greenakd
17-02-2008, 19:15
Took mine in yesterday as a bubble has appeared in the paint on the rear tailgate near to the Seat badge. Wasn't their a week ago when I washed the car.

Looks like it will blister up and then form rust. It's getting slightly larger each day with the wet/cold weather up here.

They took photo's yesterday to see if Seat would fix it under warranty. I mentioned paint issues when I first bought the car and their won't be any 'if' about fixing it as i'm severely pi$$ed off with the issue's i've had fixed since buying it, including a new alloy.

Outstanding niggles:

2. Slight clunking on the front end when turning over a rough surface.
3. Vibration noise when clutch is pressed to the floor, sounds like release bearing.

Mine (57 Cupra TDI) pulls to the left slightly but nothing i'm concerned with, feels more like it's following the camber and is not as bad as the scooby.

My wife has just got rid of her Ibiza 1.2 due to all the problems she had. And one of them was a vibration and clunking when turning on full lock. It went in to the dealers about 5 times. She has just got an altea with OEM roofbars thrown in for free.:lol:

JPS3290
18-02-2008, 08:52
Greekakd: I just get the odd clunk when turning either way over a rough surface like something is catching. When it went it for the tailgate they said the front suspension mounts were not torqued up correctly so re-torqued them. It's a little better but still does it. It's booked in for it's first service shortly and mentioned it again to be looked at. I'll keep mentioning it until they fix it.

greenakd
18-02-2008, 17:18
Our local dealer tightened bits up and adjusted the subframe a couple of times and still no good. So we passed it on.[:@]

mixupz
18-02-2008, 20:13
my airbag light seems to say airbag off....altho the switch in the glove compartment seems to say that its on???

jay.ing
20-02-2008, 12:57
Ive had a knocking noise from my suspension, drop links were replaced and the noise went away.

Got a squeek/knock from the right front suspension, i think its the strut mount but not sure, its goin in on the 22 feb for a look over, they are also looking at my front-rear bushes as there cracked and perrished!

Last time it went in they didn't put the engine tray back properly and when i went through a Fjord and ripped it off :censored: wasnt happy, middle of lake district!!!!!!

various fastners missing!

Had my window seals replaced due to wind noise, they didnt fit the passenger one properly and the window kept going up and down!!!!!

Heating hoses behind the engine have chaffed through and nearly emptied the engine of water!!!!

EGR valve replaced because of reduced MPG and Hessitation at 2000 RPM

Passenger seat pan was replaced cos it didnt move forward

Vibration when bracking was rectified, due to warped discs!

And finally my headlights were replaced because they had dust/dirt on the inner lens!

All this on an 06 130 PD FR, replaced under warrenty thank God :clap: and ive only had it since late October!!!!! :censored:

The Hoose
10-03-2008, 21:31
Problems I've had with my 54reg 1.2 12v:
-Rear suspension bushes completely worn, had them replace 2 months after my warranty expired >£200
-Rear washer hose disconnecting - fixed myself

I've got a problem with the engine noise. It sounds really grumpy when revving, like a gravelly noise, but only when it's in gear. My mate listened to it and reckons its either the fan, or something need tightening in the engine. I haven't noticed any change in performance, or any faults. Has anyone else had this problem, or heard of it? I don't know if it's coincidence, but it only started when I passed a gritting wagon on the M6 just before xmas.

YorkIbiza
11-03-2008, 12:15
Had my 04 reg 1.2 12v for 7 months now and only have one/two (think they maybe connected) intermitent faults:

Every now and then when I let my revs drop, say to reverse onto my drive, my power steering light comes on and my steering goes really heavy as if I have no power steering and other times the light comes on and there is no difference?

Also if im driving around normally and need to put my dip beam on or wind down my windows my cd player will switch itself off and all the lights will flicker, will this be down to my engine size or will there be an electrical fault somewhere?

Any help would be much apprecieated because I dont want to pay a dealer to tell me they cant find any faults!

st10587
11-03-2008, 12:54
Also if im driving around normally and need to put my dip beam on or wind down my windows my cd player will switch itself off and all the lights will flicker, will this be down to my engine size or will there be an electrical fault somewhere?

sounds like you have a fault there. i used to have a 1.2 which the dash lights flickered on and the dealer said it was either the switch or the cluster.......so either a £10-15 fix or a £500 fix!!!

The Beltsander
13-03-2008, 21:35
I have a brand new mk4 and the Front lights are already fogging up. Must be a common seat trait...

st10587
13-03-2008, 21:38
I have a brand new mk4 and the Front lights are already fogging up. Must be a common seat trait...

yep loads on this! i just had my front goldfish bowls.....oops i ment front fog lamps replaced because of this:p

Barn
16-03-2008, 04:00
02 TDI 130 SPORT :-

is it normal to have 3 front springs break ?
i've only done 34k urgh

st10587
16-03-2008, 12:18
02 TDI 130 SPORT :-

is it normal to have 3 front springs break ?
i've only done 34k urgh

do you live in a area with pot holes or speed bumps?

Barn
16-03-2008, 16:04
do you live in a area with pot holes or speed bumps?

yea, both :(

st10587
16-03-2008, 16:22
yea, both :(

that would probably be why then!

Fixius
25-03-2008, 18:00
Had my 05 Cupra nearly 2 months now - rear washer pipe gone twice now. Glad I came on here cause I didn't realise it was such a common fault and my dealer charged me £20 to fix it last time blaming me for letting the resevoir get empty!! Front lights also misted up and get a slight groan from the rear suspension when going over speedbumps (no matter how slowly and carefully!) - should I be worried by this? Only ask as the car is going in for its first (10k) service tomorrow!

Fixius
25-03-2008, 18:02
P.S. Anyone know where I can get a copy of the service schedule from for my car? Previous owner had never been given one and Seat can only sell me a standard replacement for dealer stamps to go in! Just think it's a bit strange that they aren't gonna change plugs, air or pollen filter at a 10000 mile service - how long do these last?!?

lc4geoff
25-03-2008, 22:09
Joined the rear washer club today.
Have the car 10 weeks (it's an '06 FR TDI 130) in that time, electric mirrors stopped working, dealer said water had got into the connector in door - Fixed under warranty.
Tomorrow i have the dubious pleasure of ringing them to tell them that the turbo seems to be whistling louder than my Bora TDI did, the handbrake cover is loose, the interior fan seems to blow faster when reversing??? and surprise surprise, headlights are misting up.
Having said that i love the car to bits.:funk:

canonman
25-03-2008, 23:59
Joined the rear washer club today.
Have the car 10 weeks (it's an '06 FR TDI 130) in that time, electric mirrors stopped working, dealer said water had got into the connector in door - Fixed under warranty.
Tomorrow i have the dubious pleasure of ringing them to tell them that the turbo seems to be whistling louder than my Bora TDI did, the handbrake cover is loose, the interior fan seems to blow faster when reversing??? and surprise surprise, headlights are misting up.
Having said that i love the car to bits.:funk:

haha the fan is ment to do that so it doesn't suck up the fumes from the car :p

lc4geoff
27-03-2008, 22:59
Thats what i love about this forum, you get to find out info without having to ring a dealer and risking looking like a t**t.:D

canonman
27-03-2008, 23:03
hehe thats ok :D

PaulieB
31-03-2008, 20:26
Got/getting my headlights + rear lights fixed under warantee by SEAT (car being 15 months old) Took pictures, sent to garage, they forwarded to SEAT, and a week later they agreed to replace for me.

So if they say they wont do it, push for them to do it, and if the garage refuses, just go straight to SEAT UK

kriso
02-04-2008, 23:17
P.S. Anyone know where I can get a copy of the service schedule from for my car? Previous owner had never been given one and Seat can only sell me a standard replacement for dealer stamps to go in! Just think it's a bit strange that they aren't gonna change plugs, air or pollen filter at a 10000 mile service - how long do these last?!?

I can email you one if you let me know your address. As far as I know it is the same document for all models.

B3NNO
25-04-2008, 11:02
ive got an annoying problem with 2nd gear, if i change from 1st to 2nd under or around 3000-3500rpm its fine but anything around 4000rpm it grinds could this be the selector? or the box its self?

mines a 56 reg with 13,200 miles on it

ruimbt
26-04-2008, 23:54
Clutch Problems in Ibiza Cupra TDI 160

Who knows the best brand and not much expensive to replace the clutch of a Cupra TDI 160?

rayray
27-04-2008, 21:23
Am new to this forum (and t be honest to the whole new car thing; only my second car ever) but have a new Ibiza 1.4 sport...but the wind noise on the driver door is annoying me...been in twice to get fixed now, but still not right. Can anyone help??

Thanks!

altare
13-05-2008, 00:27
Anyone have trouble with intercooler hoses?

Lost the top one about 2 months ago following a loud pop at low speed. Inconvenient but only £20 to fix.

Today bottom connector popped off as I pulled up at a roundabout. This one is smaller but £70. Aaargh.

Both within 7 days of service (coincidence?)

Also, rear washed hose popped off at every connection so far, Air con low on gas, tracking well out already, clunking from rear suspension, cover blows off cabin pollen filter, key fob packed up again, water comes into passenger footwell if you go through puddles (water seems to come up and over the bonnet!)

Over than that I quite happy with it!!

EvoFR
14-05-2008, 00:47
That Will Be Your Link Arm( Anti Roll Bar) Bushes! £ 20 a side + Labour! Not a Big Job!

DFMM
24-06-2008, 04:05
All long-life items :-- 20,000 miles. BUT ANNUAL OIL + FILTER CHANGE NEENED AT 12 MONTHS/10,000 miles, using MOBIL 1 ESP 5W30 fully synthetic oil. ( hydraulic tappets and cam-drive tensioner relies on clean oil ).

Henry 17
25-06-2008, 00:41
Hi, can someone please tell me how to gain access to the brake light bulb o/s rear without breaking the lens? Thanks:confused:

st10587
25-06-2008, 13:48
Hi, can someone please tell me how to gain access to the brake light bulb o/s rear without breaking the lens? Thanks:confused:

open the boot, remove the 2 screws that hold the cluster in, give the cluster a good tug and it should pop out, some are very stif n require a tweak with a rag cover screwdriver! then is a small screw to undo the bulb holder! hope that helps :)

Henry 17
25-06-2008, 22:19
Hi. thanks for the info. However, what way do you pull the cluster, Does the lens cover stay where it is? Thanks for any reply

BigDave67
20-08-2008, 14:15
Hi. thanks for the info. However, what way do you pull the cluster, Does the lens cover stay where it is? Thanks for any reply

This reply is too late to help Henry but I just changed one of my brake lights. You stand behind the car and pull it towards you. As a previous reply said it can be very stiff and mine was. I put one hand on the outside by the indicator and the other on the black plastic near the screws (which I had removed). Pushed my hands together to get grip and pulled with a quick hard tug and it popped out.

BigDave67
20-08-2008, 14:22
I have an 02 plate TDi Sport 130 owned from new
And here are the problems I've had

1. From new driver side headlight misted, dealer said they filled it with water when they washed the car before collection as the rear cover had been left off Ė told to drive with headlights on for a while, if it didnít clear they would replace Ė it didnít clear, replaced.
2. When weather turned cold I noticed a rear window demister wire broken Ė replaced under warranty
3. Handbrake cover loose Ė re-fitted, loose again, not fixed. Iíve learnt how to use it but when anyone else drives the car they pull it off.
4. Passenger window regulator broken Ė fixed under warranty
5. Month or so later driver window regulator broken Ė fixed under warranty
6. osf suspension bushing went. Creaking noise from driverís footwell when lifting off accelerator or driving on a bumpy surface, like a campsite field. I think they replaced the wishbone arm too Ė this is a sore point as I went to stealer with creaking noise, never fixed, it got really bad and when they found the bushing had gone it was a couple of weeks out of warranty and they would not support me that I had reported the symptoms well inside the warranty period, said it was a different problem. Strange how the all noise went after the repair.
7. Rear washer pipe popped off in boot, think it was my fault because I only had water in the washer from summer and didnít add anything in winter and we had a frost and I think it froze Ė fixed at next dealer service at my cost as leak was in boot and I couldn't see how to get access to fix myslef.
8. Dealer noted turbo pipe was wearing out at a service Ė replaced at my cost
9. Driver seat wonít release to allow access into the back of the car Ė not fixed, out of warranty and Iím not paying to have it fixed, just use passenger side.
10. Not sure if this is a fault but the passenger seat doesnít always go back to where it was before it was tilted and slid to allow rear access. Sometimes you have to push it right back squashing the legs of the rear passenger to get it to lock then slide it forwards to where it was.
11. My headlamp bulbs didnít seem to last long. I was glad the one that went wasnít the battery side as there isnít much room to get access and I have big hands, but then about a month later the that one went :(. The side lights have both gone too and that was even worse to replace on the battery side, luckily my girlfriend has small hands and was able to replace the cover for me. All replacements have lasted longer.

My bother just bought an 02 1.4 and his drivers side window has just got stuck down after making a crunching sound. I think that will be a regulator broken.

He also had a vibration noise when driving at over 40mph. Turned out to be a plastic panel under the drivers footwell. It is held in place by plastic push clips and a bolt at the front. The bolt was missing and allowed the panel to flap and pop out some of the clips. I have seen several makes of car driving down the motorway with a plastic panel flapping about underneath.

Henry 17
20-08-2008, 23:34
Thanks, big dave for the clear reply about the replacement of the rear brake bulb and removal of cluster. I did this a few weeks ago and did just as you did. I was fortunate that it came out quite easily with a reverse tug. Regards, Henry 17

Owl
24-08-2008, 13:32
it seems the biggest problems are rear washer pipe and head light condensation...

obviously part from the obvious damp areas... do you need to keep checking the rear washer pipe??

DFMM
25-08-2008, 02:48
it seems the biggest problems are rear washer pipe and head light condensation...

obviously part from the obvious damp areas... do you need to keep checking the rear washer pipe??

Being new to the forum, you are understingly unaware of
1) Fragile bushings in the chassis
2) Breaking coil springs
3) Very expensive cam-chain problems on the 1.2 12 Valve petrol engines
4) Persistent history of failures of spark-plug individual H.T. coil-packs on all
petrol engines ( current revision has at least a year of nil-complaint )
4) Dealers often incompetent, unless they also have the Skoda Brand. ( At
one time it was Skoda who took on cowboy agents, but now VAG have
their SEAT operations to be ashamed of, but they let the trend continue )
FIAT and ALFA ROMEO are dumping poor dealers, in a determined effort to
restore consumer confidence. With SEAT dealerships, they ops themselves
to change brand as they lose custom to better nearby outlets.

Owl
25-08-2008, 17:00
your only a month older on here lad lol
only one im bothered on that list is the bushings one.. coilovers are going on... and its diesel so no plugs ;) and i also believe pd 100 engine is belt driven

lukekbrown
04-09-2008, 14:15
I've got a 1.4 SE (75BHP) 2002.

Since owning it 6 months ago i've had:

1. Front and rear wishbone bushes replaced

2. ARB, ARB bushes and brackets replaced

3. Backbox had to be replaced because it corroded away

4. New key fob because my old one decided not to sync to my car

5. I now have coolant liquid dissapearing everytime. I fill it up then is gone in like a week. I've looked for leaks I can't find anything. Any help?

6. Sometimes my car loses revs and jumps, After i put my foot down on the gas it goes away. I've been told that its my throttle body clogged up, I think it might be a coil pack.

Johnsey
05-09-2008, 02:38
I've got a 1.4 SE (75BHP) 2002.
5. I now have coolant liquid dissapearing everytime. I fill it up then is gone in like a week. I've looked for leaks I can't find anything. Any help?

If the layout is the same as it is on mine (TDI) have a look at the two aluminium pipes on the heater matrix, they have 2 'O' rings which perish causing the water to seep out. Once they wear out enough, the water will just empty in a matter of minutes. It's a tricky thing to spot until its too late as it behind everything. Good luck

lukekbrown
05-09-2008, 14:45
If the layout is the same as it is on mine (TDI) have a look at the two aluminium pipes on the heater matrix, they have 2 'O' rings which perish causing the water to seep out. Once they wear out enough, the water will just empty in a matter of minutes. It's a tricky thing to spot until its too late as it behind everything. Good luck

You lost me on the heater matrix...

Where is that located? Behind the engine?

Johnsey
05-09-2008, 20:55
You lost me on the heater matrix...

Where is that located? Behind the engine?

You should see the two aluminum pipes going down behind the engine and going in towards the cabin of the car

Muggs
17-09-2008, 17:29
rattling behind dashboard - mine had this. i thought it was behind the dashboard too. its actually the air intake right at the front of the car - you'll see its a bit loose - just needs a cable tie round it ;-)
Hey mate

Was just wondering.. Where is the air intake located? And how do i get to it?
I've got a rattleing sound, wich sounds like comming from my dashboard. Maybe its the air intake. By air intake you mean air intake to the cabin right?

malky39
07-10-2008, 17:09
well six months of owning my fr and the headlights are starting to mist up the passenger side worst than the drivers, would i be best waiting to see if it clears of just going straight to the dealer to get a warrenty replacement

canonman
07-10-2008, 21:32
well six months of owning my fr and the headlights are starting to mist up the passenger side worst than the drivers, would i be best waiting to see if it clears of just going straight to the dealer to get a warrenty replacement

drill a hole in the cover

Owl
12-10-2008, 18:09
Hey mate

Was just wondering.. Where is the air intake located? And how do i get to it?
I've got a rattleing sound, wich sounds like comming from my dashboard. Maybe its the air intake. By air intake you mean air intake to the cabin right?

your air intake is the piping to and from your air filter from the engine to the front of the car

ibiza75
23-10-2008, 15:27
First brake down (in any car I've owned) yesterday. :banghead2

Driving on a long trip and noticed a few "jumps" through the pedals. Also notived the revs being a bit erratic and the car juddering when slowing down.

Managed to travel around 50 miles and then wile going through a vilage the engine management light started flashing, the engine juddered like crazy. Made a dive for the curb and shut it off. Strated it again and the engine was vibrating like crazy and there was a strong plastic burning smell. :censored:

Got the AA out and after removing the cover over the engine it was noticed that one of the coils had (literally) burned itself out. In fact the wiring detached from the connector when it was pulled out. He said that he's never seen one like that.

After putting a new VAG coil into the engine it was much sweeter when fired up again. I've managed another 110miles or so since the breakdown and it seems fine.

However it did cost me £41 for the part and I didn't make my intended journey, but at least the car got home under it's own steam.

I'm wondering if I should replace the other coils as well?
It's a 1.4 16v engine, 63,300ish on the clock.

Damoegan
23-10-2008, 15:39
Coil packs are a very common fault mate, dont worrey about it.

RUM4MO
23-10-2008, 16:43
First brake down (in any car I've owned) yesterday. :banghead2

Driving on a long trip and noticed a few "jumps" through the pedals. Also notived the revs being a bit erratic and the car juddering when slowing down.

Managed to travel around 50 miles and then wile going through a vilage the engine management light started flashing, the engine juddered like crazy. Made a dive for the curb and shut it off. Strated it again and the engine was vibrating like crazy and there was a strong plastic burning smell. :censored:

Got the AA out and after removing the cover over the engine it was noticed that one of the coils had (literally) burned itself out. In fact the wiring detached from the connector when it was pulled out. He said that he's never seen one like that.

After putting a new VAG coil into the engine it was much sweeter when fired up again. I've managed another 110miles or so since the breakdown and it seems fine.

However it did cost me £41 for the part and I didn't make my intended journey, but at least the car got home under it's own steam.

I'm wondering if I should replace the other coils as well?
It's a 1.4 16v engine, 63,300ish on the clock.

Somebody on one of these VAG forums claimed that there was an extended warranty on these troublesome COP coils - maybe have a word with a Seat dealer to see where if you can claim and get the other 3 replaced FOC. My wife's 2003MY Polo 1.4 16V BBY engine, has had one coil failure so far from new - I used VAG-COM to find it and fitted a similar ebay sourced one - maybe not the smartest move by I had been hearing the jungle drums on this topic and just thought that I'd get prepared. I did not know about extended warranty at that time. Her COP coils were Eldor made in Italy, I thought that most of the problems came initially from Beru coils that were made in a "developing" country (they had moved the manufacturing base to save money).

With that sort of damage you were lucky that the ECU had not been whacked by the coil failing.

Leigh15
23-10-2008, 16:52
Coilpacks have a 5 year 60k mile warranty on them - dealers are only authorised to replace faulty packs though - so you can't replace all four because 1 fails

RUM4MO
23-10-2008, 17:37
Right, well you've missed out on getting any help from VAG, so it might be an idea, if you like playing with cars, to find out exactly what the numbers are on all the coils fitted to your car - I seem to remember that you can read them off the top of the HV potted area. Then keep a weather eye out (on ebay) for someone offloading some exdealer NOS ones that match your ones - the higher the "letter" the higher the revison of coil - so meant to be more resistant to inservice failure, I think that the HV potting cracks and if it lets moisture in that will accelerate the following burning up and total failure of the high side of the coil (arcing and burning/carbonising > tracking.

Surfergirl
24-10-2008, 00:19
Hi,
I love my little 1.4 but starting to doubt it now looking at everyone elses little probs, they look familiar. Does anyone have any experience of electric window problems. My passenger window decided to disappear at some point today in the rain. There is a steel cable visble and the electrics still make a whirring noise. Please please can someone offer some advice.

Off to see dealer tomorrow (i can see the bill now :cry:) The car is now soaked and I am going to be poor and mostly likely grumpy by tommorow.

Thanks in anticipation of reply:help:

Leigh15
24-10-2008, 08:40
Sounds like maybe the regulator has snapped - ie. the support the glass rests on. That's a problem inherited from VW I'm afraid!

petelking
26-10-2008, 23:26
Hi

I've got a 2008 Ibiza Cupra with 15,000Km on it.
MODs: Forge 007DV Forge Silicone intake Simota open air filter Custom remap 220BHP

This is what I've had so far and it all happened before I remapped the car:

1. Seat Sport Badge peel off engine cover - Fixed under warranty
2. Passenger door seal fell off - Fixed under warranty
3. Strange discolored dots on roof - Nothing to do about that, got the dealer to give me a free stereo system for that
3. GRRR sound from starter motor when starting the car in mornings - Starter Motor replaced under warranty
4. strange Clunk sound from gearbox after driving in reverse and then driving forward - Don't know what that is, dealer still checking
5. Gearbox make a noise like there is sand inside it - Dealer claims it's normal for this gearbox?!
6. Dash parts popping out of place - Fixed under warranty
7. Windows make squicking noises whenever the car goes over speed bumps - I don't even bother with this one...
8. Sunroof makes rattling noises from motor - Fixed my self with allot of foam.
9. Ashtray light burned out - Fixed under warranty
10. Aircon makes ticking noise from fan - Fixed under warranty
11. Electric Mirror Knob popped out of place - Fixed under warranty
12. horrible noise When changing gear to reverse - Don't know what that is, dealer still checking
13. Fogged Front headlights - Only happened once, if it will happen again I'll get the dealer to replace it.

With all that said, as soon as I push on the pedal I don't really care about the faults :)

Matt_FR
09-12-2008, 18:24
got a 54 plate frt150..

usual rear washer.. fixed myself...
crashed it.. fixed myself.
usual lights misting up.. fixed myself (drill vent holes in light caps.)
throttle position sensor failure.. just happened about 30 mins ago and have just been towed home..

usual coil packs.. was firing on 2 cyls at one point and the cat's failed. good excuse for a de-cat tho...

now car will refuse to start and sounds like its only firing on barely 2 cyls... and no throttle at all..

think my car has major issues.. keeps bringin up codes for the maf sensor etc...

let you know what happens.. gonna have a bash at fixin it the now... its not bad being a mechanic..

happylad
11-12-2008, 18:50
so guys my rear washer has come off but am out of warranty so how do you reapply the damn thing??????? Happylad

mark90
11-12-2008, 23:05
Hi

MODs: Forge 007DV Forge Silicone intake Simota open air filter Custom remap 220BHP

3. Strange discolored dots on roof - Nothing to do about that, got the dealer to give me a free stereo system for that
3. GRRR sound from starter motor when starting the car in mornings - Starter Motor replaced under warranty
4. strange Clunk sound from gearbox after driving in reverse and then driving forward - Don't know what that is, dealer still checking
5. Gearbox make a noise like there is sand inside it - Dealer claims it's normal for this gearbox?!
7. Windows make squicking noises whenever the car goes over speed bumps - I don't even bother with this one...
12. horrible noise When changing gear to reverse - Don't know what that is, dealer still checking
13. Fogged Front headlights - Only happened once, if it will happen again I'll get the dealer to replace it.

With all that said, as soon as I push on the pedal I don't really care about the faults :)

anything else:pwhats sand in gearbox sound like??:lol: i think al this would be a reason to have serious with dealer!!!

happylad
12-12-2008, 13:39
so guys my rear washer has come off but am out of warranty so how do you reapply the damn thing??????? Happylad

2day undid the trim screws but cannot get rear of boot to come loose. how do you get the damn thing off:help::help:

Matt_FR
12-12-2008, 14:10
off the parcel shelf.. then u concentrate on the black trim that hold the parcel shelf.. fold the seat forward in front of it to find a screw... theres one in the centre of the trim (when viewed from side on.. inside the boot) then the last one is under the corner trim where the main boot seal is.. this corner trim just pulls right off as its only clipped on..when all screws are out... then just wiggle the black trim and pull.. then you should find the black pvc washer pipe no problem.. find the 2 ends then they just click back together.. but better the use electrical tape etc to properly hold it together... because mines ended up popping of twice until i taped it.. hope that helps..

Ollie W
17-12-2008, 15:22
BigDave67, i have an 02 1.4 ibiza, with the most annoying creaking, exactly as u described in your list of problems, what was the problem and how did u get it fixed?
In your post on the 20/08/08, point 6.
Any help would be brilliant.

oony7
09-01-2009, 10:38
Hi

alright mate,see those marks on your roof,are they small black marks as if somethings been dropped on it or a fault in the paint??i have a 08 sportrider with 235 miles and my back lights are fogging up but they did that on my o2 tdi as well:censored:

RoughNeck6Zero
23-01-2009, 22:35
My son's Ibiza 1.4tdi 80bhp was handling a bit weird as if something was loose and noises were to be heard coming from outside the car.
It turned out to be suspension bushes needed replacing at 2.5 years and 11k miles . Yes 11K. Done under warranty by Seat. Told by the service manager they would go again, out of warranty would cost around £450 to replace.:-o

Fangio
24-01-2009, 08:51
2005 Tdi130 Fr..
Pretty reasonable so far with 30k miles done.

Electric mirrors packed up - fixed under warranty, a cable had been crimped in production.
Total coolant loss - fixed under warranty, a clip was chafing a pipe.

Ongoing minor niggles:
Wind noise is excessive, and so is road noise which even the stereo can't compete with. I have not attempted any kind of fix for the wind noise, but reckon the mirrors need the little vanes on top a la BMW.
The rear washer has packed up, but it's not desperate and the fix is on this forum.
Carpets on the drivers side are now very worn but otherwise the car is holding up very well indeed.
I enjoy the performance and don't mind the noisy engine and firm ride. These really are short distance cars, anything more than 200 miles becomes a bit painful due to the noise levels.
All in all certainly no worse in the reliability stakes than the Saab I had before, and generally better made, by a long chalk. For long distances and long hours I use a Ford Focus which is a far superior car for the purpose.
I suppose the Seat is a naughty little tyke with bloody knees kind of car, which I don't mind at all, for a bit.
All in all not bad at all:clap:

emma.kate
26-01-2009, 14:28
I recently got the mk4 "05" plate...

There is a serious fault with the A.B.S, the A.B.S. light comes on after a couple of miles of driving, but before that every time i break, the A.B.S always comes on, wether its on a dry raod or wet. The noise it makes is pretty dodgy too. Took it to the dealer twice and still hasnt been fixed.

The back windscreen wiper sometimes doesnt work when i want it to either.

and i dont know if anyone else has experienced this, but the horn only works in one place, when it used to work in three places on the steering wheel :S dont really know what hapened there.

but apart from that its a pretty damm good car:)

MJ
05-02-2009, 18:32
I recently got the mk4 "05" plate...

There is a serious fault with the A.B.S, the A.B.S. light comes on after a couple of miles of driving, but before that every time i break, the A.B.S always comes on, wether its on a dry raod or wet. The noise it makes is pretty dodgy too. Took it to the dealer twice and still hasnt been fixed.

and i dont know if anyone else has experienced this, but the horn only works in one place, when it used to work in three places on the steering wheel :S dont really know what hapened there.

Take it back and kick up a fuss and demand that they keep hold of it untill the issues are resolved. If its under there own used car warrenty then ask them to fit a new steering wheel - the push pin contacts on the back of it become bent and prevent a circuit being made so the horn, as you've found only works in one place instead of all 3.

Polyphemus
10-02-2009, 08:48
1. Seat Sport Badge peel off engine cover
3. GRRR sound from starter motor when starting the car in mornings
4. strange Clunk sound from gearbox after driving in reverse and then driving forward
5. Gearbox make a noise like there is sand inside it
13. Fogged Front headlights

Hi all,

I have a Dutch Ibiza Cupra 1.8T 2007, and I can confirm that I have the same issues as Petelking above. :blink:

Maleko
20-03-2009, 14:42
Had my car a week now :D Got a 06 MK4, came with the common fogged front head lights..i can't

Goose-Wingman
29-03-2009, 20:56

and the latest...

I really do love my car

I'm having a similar problem now with my very recently purchased 03 Ibiza 1.2. Please let me know how it works out - if you see this, of course. I'm hooking myself up with VAG-COM too, just so I can sort this problem. (Although, admittedly, I do also like the idea of sitting in my car with my laptop and laying down the law.)

cupraconnor
30-03-2009, 11:06
hi, owned my cupra for 18mths now, day i picked it up engine management light came on, temp sensor replaced, 2mths l8r manifold bolts worked loose, 6mths after that HEADGASKET gone! only covered 18000miles!! another 1000miles and temp sensor gone again!!
Dont think i'll have it much longer when warranty runs out.
MY rear washer packed up aswell!

Skywalker80
19-04-2009, 20:19
Hi, I've just bought an Ibiza 130 TDI Sport (2003) and already have problems.

Petrol Gauge works when it wants to
Coolant warning buzzer and light comes on when it wants to

Anyone had these issues and managed to fix them?

Also have a vibrating noise coming from behind dash or below it when traveling over 80mph.

beezanick
19-04-2009, 22:14

Also have a vibrating noise coming from behind dash or below it when traveling over 80mph.

The vibrating noise is a common 'feature' on these cars, the remedy is to turn the radio up:)

The instrument cluster is often an earth fault. There is a thread on here where someone fixed theirs with similar problems to you.

I had a faulty fuel gauge and the problem turned out to be a loose earth cable on the stering column.

BigDave67
20-04-2009, 09:17
BigDave67, i have an 02 1.4 ibiza, with the most annoying creaking, exactly as u described in your list of problems, what was the problem and how did u get it fixed?
In your post on the 20/08/08, point 6.
Any help would be brilliant.

Sorry for late reply. I didn't see this message, I normally get an email saying some one has replied to a post.
Anyway, there was a thread on this problem, http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27144

The stealer found it was something like the rear track control arm bush (creak was front driver side) The invoice doesn't help much. The description is CONSOLE ...r/f tca arm
It cost £62.25 ex vat and labour. But it does have a part number the dealer could look up to find out what you want them to check.
It is 6Q0199294D

A lot of people are saying the standard bushes are rubish and don't last long. It's bettter to get them replaced with Cupra ones.

digby130?
20-04-2009, 09:32
my bushes have lasted 54,000 miles...

BigDave67
20-04-2009, 09:36
For the vibrating noise you could check the plastic pannel under the front bumper. It's like a sump guard or air guide, guiding air under the car. Mine was loose onthe drivers side and rattled, but does it on bumpy road rather than at speed. But I would have a look under you car and see if any thing is loose.

CHR15-53AT
20-04-2009, 18:32
When you have to climb over the passengers seat to enter / exit the vehicle :doh: beacuse the drivers door is "dead locked" and wont open. the dealer says it's only happenend once before summit to do with electrics apparently...

BigDave67
21-04-2009, 10:51
Same thing happened to my brothers car but on the passenger door. He's got a 2002 1.4
they had to replace the locking motor in the door.

CHR15-53AT
21-04-2009, 11:44
strange thing, the door has magically unlocked itself, and now seems to be "working":funk: ... the dealer ordered new parts though so im still gonna go ahead and get them fitted ... saying as its under warrenty got her in 2007 (1.4 16v "Sport")... hopefully it wont happen again.

lukester85
01-05-2009, 11:54
Mine does that all the time! its a 1.4 V-reg, passenger door decides its not going to work with the rest of the central locking and just wont open, same with the boot! The passenger door opens eventually if keep pressing the central locking button, but the boot's been stuck for months!

Going to have a go at forcing with a screwdriver or knife in a bit.

why do these things always happen when your trying to sell the car lol, It used to be stuck open - it would close but not lock, now its closed but not open d'oh!

tdijack
12-06-2009, 21:57
My 10k miles 1.4 sport has a split washer bottle....the dealer was amazed when I said it was leaking from the front, not the tailgate,

Also the rear shocker is leaking like a sieve

Replacement parts on order for a week now.....

Gertie
18-06-2009, 16:00
Ibiza Fr TDI 130 54 plate from David Cook Dealers

1. Rear washer pipe pop off fixed under warranty

2. premature failure of front bushes fixed under warranty

3. Top intercooler pipe blew off fixed with tyraps by me

4. Top Intercooler pipe split at join fixed with more tyraps by me

5. Yes you guessed it bottom intercooler pipe blown off yes tyraps to the rescue again

by the looks of the posts on here i've had it easy still like the car though.

pedy
19-06-2009, 09:58
Hi, I've just bought an Ibiza 130 TDI Sport (2003) and already have problems.

i had this problem with mine (fuel gauge) its linked with the outside temp guage, it would go blank and then the fuel would drop, when the guage came back on i knew if i turned the engine off and back on it would work again, got to the stage it wouldnt work for weeks at a time, SEAT couldnt fix it, other garages couldnt fix it.... so i got shot of it!

also the drivers door lock packed in so the car didnt know if the door was open or not and the intercooler casing shattered.... refused to pay for a replacement so used duct tape!! and traded it in, hope know1 on here bought it..... nursed it from glasgow to derby (hilton garage) its a shame coz when it ran good it was amazing but when sumthing went wrong it was never simple! also had wishbones and bushes replaced every few months!

tdijack
19-06-2009, 23:18
My 10k miles 1.4 sport has a split washer bottle....the dealer was amazed when I said it was leaking from the front, not the tailgate,

Also the rear shocker is leaking like a sieve

Replacement parts on order for a week now.....

Went in to Thompson and thompson at Caldicot yeserday, all fixed just in time, but its the small details that hack you off....

Why on Earth couldn't they stick some water in the ******* bottle when they put it in there??!! Went straight to work, using the car all day, would have been nice to get the flies and cr*p off the screen:censored:

ibiza64
23-06-2009, 20:51
1.2s

coil pack replaced
cat converter replaced
exhaust cracked
engine management light forever coming on
now have another cat converter prob!
engine now sounds a bit tinny and growly on start up but returns to normal sound after a journey
tickover is wobbly

6 years old 42k miles

fluffmitten
25-06-2009, 21:06
Picked up my 2006 06 Mk4 1.8 FR last Tuesday:

1. Ran out of screenwash so I refilled it but lo and behold: the famous lack of rear washing action and the front passenger side jet is skew. Great for soaking cyclists but crap for cleaning the windscreen!

EDIT: Just been out to check it: the washer jet head has come off the front left and now the fluid just goes all up the inside of the bonnet. Bah.

2. Not sure if this is a fault or a feature but the volume on the stereo goes up when I accelerate and down when I brake. I'm changing the stereo back to my old Alpine that I rescued from my old car (after pay day) but I'd like to know about this volume thing before I look like an idiot at the audio place lol. Anyone else had this happen?

3. The steering lock jammed and I couldn't start the car until I really pulled hard on the steering. No big deal but I did look like a muppet outside my work pretending to know what I was doing when I thought I'd knackered the immobiliser.

4. When I had the bonnet open to put the screenwash in I heard a sort of humming whirring noise - I'd just turned the ignition off. Excuse me for being a total n00b but is that the turbo? I was told to idle it for a couple of minutes before turning it off - maybe I didn't leave it long enough? Never had a turbo before so not sure if I need to idle it for two minutes after every little pootly journey or just after ragging it! :help:

(Thought the bonnet was sitting a bit high when I finished with the screenwash but I shoved it and it seemed ok, until I was on the A34 this morning and I saw it bobbing up and down. Felt a right ***t pulling over and getting out to shove it shut properly. The first week has been a learning curve :happy: Most of this list has been my own fault lol.)

BigDave67
26-06-2009, 11:19
Speed Controlled Volume is a function of the head unit. I think it comes up as SCV in settings and can be set at different levels something like low, medium, high or off.

fluffmitten
26-06-2009, 22:43
Cheers, that's really useful to know! I probably won't get to change the stereo for a while but it's good to know I won't make such an ar$e of myself when I do :thumbup:

ibiza_santos
29-06-2009, 21:20
Johnsey
SNAFU

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdc199 View Post

pmdc199

Question turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazjones View Post
Turbo manifold bolts on 20vt these can work lose on mapped or standard car, starts with a loud whistle like kettle when on boost then gets more like blowing exhaust. fixed undr warrenty needed new gaskets and bolts happened over easter bank holiday so was with out car for over a week should be done in 2 days.

I have this same problem, a grunting sound

Phoned AA This guy came out he did a turbo boost test, fault codes etc.. no problems at all,
took it for a road test, grunting starts at 45-55 mph AA man said it won't be the turbo more like the catalic converter
that it could be breaking up inside.

So took it to seat and what a joke they said it's the turbo and it will cost 1800 pounds to sort out.
Weird as it boosts fine through every gear apart from the odd grunt noise it is fine.

They asked if they should proceed with the work i was like oh your having a laugh 1800 squid pah!!
they must think everyone has a bottomless pit at home.

If anyone knows anything about the turbos post me some info as i just can't believe it is the turbo unit.

Johnsey
29-06-2009, 21:28
Johnsey
SNAFU

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdc199 View Post

pmdc199

Question turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazjones View Post
Turbo manifold bolts on 20vt these can work lose on mapped or standard car, starts with a loud whistle like kettle when on boost then gets more like blowing exhaust. fixed undr warrenty needed new gaskets and bolts happened over easter bank holiday so was with out car for over a week should be done in 2 days.

I have this same problem, a grunting sound

Phoned AA This guy came out he did a turbo boost test, fault codes etc.. no problems at all,
took it for a road test, grunting starts at 45-55 mph AA man said it won't be the turbo more like the catalic converter
that it could be breaking up inside.

So took it to seat and what a joke they said it's the turbo and it will cost 1800 pounds to sort out.
Weird as it boosts fine through every gear apart from the odd grunt noise it is fine.

They asked if they should proceed with the work i was like oh your having a laugh 1800 squid pah!!
they must think everyone has a bottomless pit at home.

If anyone knows anything about the turbos post me some info as i just can't believe it is the turbo unit.

You may find it's a pipe vibrating against something as the engine rocks backwards under acceleration, have a look to the left of the engine for a thick plastic pipe that's suspect 1, suspect 2 would be if you have a strut brace if anything is hitting off that

ibiza_santos
29-06-2009, 21:39
You may find it's a pipe vibrating against something as the engine rocks backwards under acceleration, have a look to the left of the engine for a thick plastic pipe that's suspect 1, suspect 2 would be if you have a strut brace if anything is hitting off that
Cheers for the speedy reply, i will check the it tomorrow i get the car back then. its not so much of a rattle more of a grunting noise, seat sure know how to ruin your day. with a 1800 quid bill lol

Neo
01-07-2009, 22:41
When I had the bonnet open to put the screenwash in I heard a sort of humming whirring noise - I'd just turned the ignition off. Excuse me for being a total n00b but is that the turbo? I was told to idle it for a couple of minutes before turning it off - maybe I didn't leave it long enough? Never had a turbo before so not sure if I need to idle it for two minutes after every little pootly journey or just after ragging it! :help:

(Thought the bonnet was sitting a bit high when I finished with the screenwash but I shoved it and it seemed ok, until I was on the A34 this morning and I saw it bobbing up and down. Felt a right ***t pulling over and getting out to shove it shut properly. The first week has been a learning curve :happy: Most of this list has been my own fault lol.)

1. Probably the radiator fan, these are electrically controlled but you do not need the ignition on for it to work. Quite common for them to keep running for a minute or two after switching off.

2. Don`t PUSH your bonnet closed, drop it from about a couple of feet above the shut.
It will lock ;) if you are unsure just drop it again!

fluffmitten
04-07-2009, 13:15
1. Probably the radiator fan, these are electrically controlled but you do not need the ignition on for it to work. Quite common for them to keep running for a minute or two after switching off.

2. Don`t PUSH your bonnet closed, drop it from about a couple of feet above the shut.
It will lock ;) if you are unsure just drop it again!

Brilliant, I'll be so relieved if it's just the fan, cheers!

Top tip about the bonnet thanks, it does work better but I'm just worried about dropping it too hard and damaging it - I was surprised how bendable it felt when I tried pushing it carefully :(

mudcow007
18-08-2009, 22:35
im scared!!

we have just bought a 1.2 '03 on 50k, had it 10 days, its had so far....replacement key fob, coolent temp sensor and now the reverse light has given up the ghost too

i will keep you in formed

Neil Davies
06-09-2009, 20:53
My girlfriend has a 1.2 SX on a 54 plate (owned by her mother than sister from new, so good history!), and we've had some of the common faults.

- Rear wash wipe pipes come loose
- Brake light switch packed in, giving the EPC fault
- Slightly "diesel-y" noise at start up and a growly idle.
- It's got a strange habit every now and again of putting the engine light on on the dash, but nothing else happens so we just get it turned off...;)

It's at 48k miles so probably due for some cam chain problems soon, from what I've read on here...:shrug:

Edit - just remembered, it seems to eat left hand stop/tail bulbs! One every three months or so!

mudcow007
07-09-2009, 07:41

My girlfriends one does this too...i just put it down to being only 3 cylinder?

mutley170fr
08-09-2009, 12:03
[QUOTE=pedy;2484577]i had this problem with mine (fuel gauge) its linked with the outside temp guage, it would go blank and then the fuel would drop, when the guage came back on i knew if i turned the engine off and back on it would work again, got to the stage it wouldnt work for weeks at a time, SEAT couldnt fix it, other garages couldnt fix it.... so i got shot of it!

i've got exactly the same problem with my wifes 03 130sport tdi.fuel gauge works then doesn't just recently it hardly works at all! at the same time this started the outside temp. gauge started being wierd,reading kept changing and then would go blank,it still works now and again but most of the time its blank!
any help or ideas would be much appreciated as my wife loves the car and we're not in a financial position to change it.:help:

Binz
09-09-2009, 09:10
Hi all,

anyone had experience fixing a seat that wont fold forward to let people in/out of rear? started off with difficulty releasing seat (pulling realease up hard before it would release), now wont do anything. i had a quick rummage and there's a wire each side that pulls and one of those is slack. Any idea on how to get into the seat and fix this?

Also, wire in window regulator got mangled recently. Unded up with window stuck open (in door so couldn't grab it to pull it up) and couldn't get door card off as didnt have star tool to undo fixing. Luckily found garage open on a sunday (TGM Sport near Fleet) who took card off then drilled out rivets and undid door panel and got window closed (gaffer tape is king, never travel without it). End result, £140 for new regulator and 1 hours labour. Garage said this was a common thing (they had had the same thing on an Audi a few days before).

And i thought VAG cars were supposed to be reliable!

Binz

BigDave67
09-09-2009, 10:10
My drivers seat has the same release problem, I haven't been able to fix it. I can pull the slack cable with pliers and get the seat to release but haven't been able to get inside the seat to fix it. I think a cable guide must have broken allowing the cable to go slack.
As for the window, yes it's a common problem. Both my regulators have been replaced (luckily in warranty), my brother has the same car and has had one replaced.

Davecutts
09-09-2009, 14:25
Exhaust Corrosion
Wishbone Bushes
Lamba Sensor

other people keep opening thier doors into her and scraping my bumpers in carparks... very annoying!

Davecutts
09-09-2009, 14:30
- Rear wash wipe pipes come loose
- Brake light switch packed in, giving the EPC fault
- It's got a strange habit every now and again of putting the engine light on on the dash,

Engine light and the diesel noise are probably kind of related, although most Ibiza's do tick a little while the oil is cold, might pay for an oil and filter change.

Rear pipes come loose if you dont have anti freeze in there which i still have to sort out on mine. :)

angrymaus
27-09-2009, 02:39
2007 Ibiza 1.6 Sport 5-dr
37,000km + and so far so good except:
When I am in 4th gear at about 80km/h there is a weird noise coming from what seems to be the accelerator... when I use a light foot the noise is gone but as soon as I put it down again I just hear a weird sort of whine over the acceleration - anybody experiencing this? It's mostly in 4th gear sometimes 3rd. Maybe I'm driving too slowly in high gear ? :P

joewl92
01-10-2009, 23:59
Hi
I have got a 2005 1.8 Ibiza Fr.
Sometimes when i start the engine there are three long bleeps. It doesn't do it all the time though, and no lights come on on the dash.

Any thoughts what it could be?
Cheers :)

conkerman
03-10-2009, 22:20
2002 PD100. 3 door. Currently at 92000 miles.

60k Miles, needed new Unit injector loom to cure a misfire. £40, easy fix. Probably just needed the contacts cleaning, but doe to the low cost of the parts I splashed out :)

At 80k miles, and 6 years old, age got to the poor old thing.

Since then Its had.

Both window regulators, Not that bad a job really.

Couple of sets of ARB's keep intending to weld a washer or similar to stop the ARB moving too much. Crap bit of design.

Front wishbone Rear bushes. One required a new console after Pedro crossthreaded the bolt at the factory and caused damage which lead to the bolt snapping. The other bush was knocked in/out.

Front wheel bearings and track rod end changed (will do the other tomorrow if I get the time). Easy peasy to do if you have access to a bearing press :)

Outstanding jobs.

May do the front ball joints. as I will need to get a 4 wheel alignment done.

Fix the rear wash pipe which is split under the passenger footwell.

Fix the bloody seat release, 20p piece got caught in the mechanism and I was a bit of a Galoot :)

Other than that, it really has been a good car, had it for over 5 years and 70k miles.

I may have a mooch about the rear end and see how things are.

Conks

wessy
05-10-2009, 14:01
Hi
Any suggestions please, 03 1.2...
car left for 4 hrs and then wont start, just cranks, then starts after 5/6 attempts, this has happened on 3 occasions with 4-5 days in between?
Also when should the cam chain be replaced.

Many thanks
Wessy

conkerman
06-10-2009, 12:41
Cam/Crank sensor, coil, plugs, broken wire somewhere, dodgy immobiliser.

Are the problems only on startup, or does the engine do odd stuff whilst running??

Conks

wessy
06-10-2009, 12:44
All good when running, just on start up....

conkerman
06-10-2009, 14:23
Check out the plugs, how do they loof in the morning??

Conks

wessy
06-10-2009, 15:05
I will get them changed, thanks for your advice....

conkerman
07-10-2009, 09:14
Don't change them if there is anything wrong..

Whip one out and have a look. Take a picture and post it up if you are not sure what you are seeing.

Conks

wessy
07-10-2009, 10:12
The check engine light has know come on, I will get the codes pulled and let you know, hopefully this could help, again thanks for your advice.....

monkeywrench
08-10-2009, 15:25
Had a 1.2s with the rear washer pipe leaking into boot had to take off rear seat belt surround to get to the leak dried off male and female elbow connector and glued it to prevent it happening again...job done,now got a 1.4s same problem with rear washer pipe but leaking from engine bay/front bumper! Both versions suffer from the condensation problems in the headlights/light clusters...got to replace front disks and pads and nrside outer gator

wessy
08-10-2009, 15:38
Don't change them if there is anything wrong..

Whip one out and have a look. Take a picture and post it up if you are not sure what you are seeing.

Conks
Plugs have been checked, all ok.
DTC was for engine coolant temp sensor, has had new sensor and code reset, not sure if this will help with starting problem......

connor257
22-10-2009, 14:28
hi i was wondering if anybody has had problems with igition coils failing on there cars i have had three go in the space of a month, and they were not on the same cylinder, have put an after market code reader on her and it just has the one fault of the coils failing, any ideas as what it could be if it is not just the coils have checked the plugs and they look ok.

tdijack
24-10-2009, 00:04
Rear screen washers stopped working this week, didn't worry too much as car was to be serviced today, reckoned they could bung the pipe back on while they were doing the service....oh no , its the pump itself, oh well, that'll be 10 days waiting for the parts to arrive........

raul_sbd
27-10-2009, 14:21
Hello all,

I bought a second hand Seat Ibiza 1.4 Tdi 2 weeks ago (05 model), and since then it has been 4 times in the garage trying to find a clunking noise in the driver wheel side.

The noise it happens when the engine is warm.. after driving 5 min.. and specially at low speeds and when going to stop and going from a traffic light. It sounds like a poping-clunking noise from the right front part of the car.. Noise is not very consistent when the car has driven for 5 min but when i drive the car for 30 min or 1 h the sound is more constant.. and allways coming from the same place.

The garage though could be the suspensions.. so they change bushings, ball joints and both shockabsorbers... i spend allready 400 £ and the noise still there. (as well has been checked the engine mounts)[:@]

Next thing i am thinking is to check the subframe bolts and mounts as in some forums ppl says that when the car goes warm the bolts can be loosy or could be a broke mount.

Any help, or anyone that had the same issue?

Thank you

BigDave67
27-10-2009, 15:48
Mine is a 2002 but I had a similar problem. It was the track controll arm, listed as "CONSOLE ...r/f tca arm" on my invoice, about £62 ex vat and fitting.
I think the part number is 6Q0199294D.

raul_sbd
27-10-2009, 19:06
I really have to be very sure before to go ahead with the control track arms... as is not cheap and i already spent a fortune in repairs... You had the same noises in the same situations?

BigDave67
28-10-2009, 09:10
I wasn't suggesting you blindly have it replaced. Get the garage to check it over.
Yes I think I had the same noises in the same situations, it didn't do it from cold which made it hard for the garage to hear. I took the car back 3 times before they found it. They only found it the last time I went back as the track control harm had worn so much the noise was there all the time and they were able to see it. Driving on uneven ground like grass would make the noise appear.

mindtraveller
05-11-2009, 22:08
I drive a sexy black 03 TDi 130 and i loves it...

Had it about a month so far and....

My turbo pipe came off and needed replacing, and now the rims are slightly cracked (from previous lady driver kerbing it all the time it seems) Passenger seat cable snapped trapping people in the back! and my lights mist up too, especially after washing them!

Those turbo pipes going are quite scary...makes you think it's the cam belt or something! and it's a common problem and easily fixed I'm told.

Anyone know where I can get a cheap alloy?

ibiza64
18-01-2010, 14:59
1.2s 12v 2002.

to date.....

new cat converter
3 new coil packs
2 window regulators
1 seat lifter handle (the ones that come off in your passengers hands!)
exhaust manifold repair
today......exhaust manifold replacement

but would you want to drive anything else!!! no way!

Palmer
21-01-2010, 22:35
bought my 1.2, 2 weeks ago and the rear washer stopped working and i ended up with a swimming pool in my boot.

What a pain it is to take the boot apart but it's all fixed now, i used some glue to keep it in place HOPEFULLY anyways

mudcow007
09-02-2010, 08:39
**new problem**

my mrs told me last night, "the car is making funny noises" i went outside an it has 2 broken front springs!!

its like driving a pogo stick at the moment....

it looks likes the near side has been broken for awhile, its all rusty

any ideas on a price for a set of front coils for a 1.2!?

conkerman
09-02-2010, 14:32
I changed the springs, shocks, topmounts and bumpstops on my motor last week (PD100). Parts were about £200 (Euro car parts)

£100-£150 to fit I reckon.

Seems to be a common fault on a lot of cars nowadays.

Conks

conkerman
09-02-2010, 14:54
2002 PD100. 3 door. Currently at 92000 miles.

60k Miles, needed new Unit injector loom to cure a misfire. £40, easy fix. Probably just needed the contacts cleaning, but doe to the low cost of the parts I splashed out :)

At 80k miles, and 6 years old, age got to the poor old thing.

Since then Its had.

Both window regulators, Not that bad a job really.

Couple of sets of ARB's keep intending to weld a washer or similar to stop the ARB moving too much. Crap bit of design.

Front wishbone Rear bushes. One required a new console after Pedro crossthreaded the bolt at the factory and caused damage which lead to the bolt snapping. The other bush was knocked in/out.

Front wheel bearings and track rod end changed (will do the other tomorrow if I get the time). Easy peasy to do if you have access to a bearing press :)

Outstanding jobs.

May do the front ball joints. as I will need to get a 4 wheel alignment done.

Fix the rear wash pipe which is split under the passenger footwell.

Fix the bloody seat release, 20p piece got caught in the mechanism and I was a bit of a Galoot :)

Other than that, it really has been a good car, had it for over 5 years and 70k miles.

I may have a mooch about the rear end and see how things are.

Conks

90K Drivers side window regulator failed.

95k miles. Broken spring. Replaced front springs/shocks/mounts etc.

Nearside wishbone bush on its way out. I blame the rubbish roads I drive on. Will replace with Cupra item If I keep the car.

Conks

denispearl
17-02-2010, 14:56
I thought it might be useful to have a thread to post problems encountered on your Mk4 Ibiza to see how common they are and if they have been successfully solved, preferably under warranty.

I thought it could include the car model, the problem, the symptoms and then the action taken to cure the problem and was it a warranty claim.

Here's my list so far:

04 Reg. FR TDi.

Recall for fuel pump bolts.
Replaced under warranty but this caused a fuel leak which was then cured at the second attempt.

New brake light switch.
Glowplug light showing on dash.
Warranty fix.

New ABS ECU.
Power steering light showing on dash.
Warranty fix after 1 week wait for parts.

Fuel gauge stopped working.
Warranty fix of broken wire in footwell.

Creaking rear suspension.
Lubricated under warranty but ongoing problem when roads are salted.

Door seal round window replaced.
Excessive wind noise.
Warranty fix but badly fitted and did not cure problem.

Misting in all lights.
Removed bulbs and dried out headlights myself.
Comes and goes with atmospheric conditions.
Would not fix under warranty.

Various trim rattles.
Fixed myself with varying degrees of success.

Over to you now.:)
Hey Buddy. What was a problem with your fuel gauge??? I gaving a promlems with it now sort of temperature gauge and diesel gauge stop working all together, but if ill switch the engine off and back on - all back to normal.
Did u had the same???
Thanks

Seref
21-02-2010, 14:25
I've got a 1.4 16V Sport and the only problems i've had with it so far are...

Leaking passenger door seal.
Condensation in the driver side headlight, got that fixed on warantee but seems to have returned recently.
Washer pipes on rear wiper coming off. (It's happened so many times i'm bored of getting it fixed.)
Lamba Sensor
It not starting first time on a cold morning, the starter motor just ticks over until you put your foot on the accelorator pedal. I thought a service would fix it but after the service if anything it looks to have gotten worse, anyone else have this problem?

kopec56
21-02-2010, 19:19
Rear Wash Wiper

Seems to be a common fault. The fluid tube disconnects from the wiper arm and then sends the contents into the boot.

Fixed under warrenty
wen i squert the back windows water seems to come from under the bonnet as appose to filling the boot lol:confused:

oneofthetwins
22-02-2010, 19:18
- Passenger door wont open with key or inside unlocking button any idea whats happening with it? has it happend to any of you guys? Easily fixed?

Cheers

st10587
22-02-2010, 19:19
- Passenger door wont open with key or inside unlocking button any idea whats happening with it? has it happend to any of you guys? Easily fixed?

Cheers

sound like ye old door switch. there is loads on it just search door switch in the main forum

clouty86
25-02-2010, 09:46
1.2 sx 2004

hi had new timing chain fitted luckily the guy i go to heard it sounded loose and had herd of t problem so got that replaced with the new modified pulleys so it wont slip :) rear wiper is doing my head in iv fixed it three times now and It of agen [:@] front spring snapped and ended up ****ing the shock. abs light is on. engine cover rattles the hole time bit in the middle with the 1.2 12v fell of and got melted flexy on exhast has broke bit fed up off it rely then wife ****ed up front bumper when slid of in the snow i thing it might be ginks

also found the boot was full of water ended up striping bumper and all lights of and silicon up all body joins to solve the problem

ivorbign
08-03-2010, 20:48
Ive just got a 130 Sport TDi and so far
rear washer comes out in the passenger footwell
a small dash rattle
misting up lights
front left speaker doesnt work??
front left door doesnt unlock when ui pull the key out so the handle needs to be pulled twice

thats all for now but i forgive the car these problems as it looks soo good :D

nick0323
17-03-2010, 14:27
Polo 9N 2002 1.2 12V 65PSmodel...

Bought in September 2007 with 1 years comprehensive warranty and RAC euro break down cover.

1) Timing chain & tensioner (replaced under warranty)

2) Front anti roll bar bushes gone (replace entire arb kit under warranty)

3) Windscreen wiper mechanism (replaced under warranty)

4) Ignition coil (not done under warranty as taking time off work proved too costly) - replaced all 3 myself at £33 per coil.

5) Front lower rear wishbone bushes split (put through to VW warranty but they wouldn't accept being a wear & tear part) - replaced with Seat Cupra TDi bushes :P, also had to replace one subframe due to a jammed bolt)

6) Dogbone engine bush - miles too soft...replaced with poly bush, miles too hard...replaced with Polo 9N3 (mk7) revised bush...win!

7) Slack handbrake - adjusted through rear drum without taking wheel off, minor stuff.

8) Fuses - replaced ABS and electric mirror fuse, minor stuff

9) Interior rattles - one in the centre console, had since I bought the car 1.5 years ago, has gotton worse ever since, started to have a look yesterday and put in petrol pipe to reinforce a plastic support but haven't driven the car since so I don't know whether if I've fixed it or not.

10) New Front ARB kit - bushes squeaking, took bushes off myself and used copper grease on the mofo's. No more squeaking.

Have yet to experience any issues with the EGR valve or Lambda sensor. Must have one of the luckier Polo's.

Haven't fixed the knock coming from the passenger side front wheel when on full lock. Read today that someone suggested it might be where my foot is on the brake whilst steering...I have new shocks and springs already, replaced the top mount (bearings shagged) on drivers side but not the passenger side, could also be that.

EDIT 18/03/10 - Fixed centre dashboard rattle with petrol pipe, now to fix major rattle on the passenger side, had a look at it, seems like a poor design of the glove box. Not really sure there is much for me to do in this department.

11) Rear windscreen washer leak - plastic joiners underneath the bonnet behind the ABS unit had come apart, put them back together. Pressure still seemed weak...plastic joiners in boot area had also come apart, haven't tested the pressure since fixing today.

EDIT 19/03/10 - Rear windscreen pressure back to normal, sounds like a rocket about to take off. Took off a few screws here and there around the glovebox area and re-tightened them, hasn't rattled since but the glovebox lid is still rattly.

12) Centre console trim and vents - On the Polo mk6 (9N 2002-2005) there is a smooth layer of rubbery stuff which scratches very easily and can flake off after time. The vents also don't hold in place, if I pull a vent up it just drops down. i changed the entire centre console with a newer revised mk7 version (air vents is parts of the console). This newer panel doesn't have the smooth layer, it's just plastic and feels much more durable. Vents also hold in place but after a few months they develop the same fault and don't hold in place.

DoYouDoubt
18-03-2010, 17:48
I've got worn driver and passenger seat covers on my 06 1.4 sport. It isn't normal wear and tear but poor design. The white weave in between the red is coming away by itself, it seems to be nylon or something.

lawrieIbizaMk4
23-03-2010, 21:43
here goes....

car was at about 13000 miles. had it for about a month..coil pack died, cruise control died, break switch died, airbag needed re-wired (steering wheel now squeeks), usual rear hose stuff, wind noise, glove box has been jammed shut since i got the car, boot lamp doesn't sit in right/always falls out, trims keep falling off...the list goes on but i love it :)

ayrshire_cupra
26-03-2010, 16:38
my boot lock works sometimes and somtimes it doesnt

mattbrowning
01-04-2010, 21:15
I've had various rattles, creaks from the rear suspension but the worst was the boot lid refusing to open when I reached the airport car park! Had to get all the cases out by putting the back seats down! Any one got any tips on fixing this?? I've oiled greased all the mechanism and it seems to work for a bit then decides now and again not to open! Agghhhh!

great_kahn
29-04-2010, 00:13
I've had various rattles, creaks from the rear suspension but the worst was the boot lid refusing to open when I reached the airport car park! Had to get all the cases out by putting the back seats down! Any one got any tips on fixing this?? I've oiled greased all the mechanism and it seems to work for a bit then decides now and again not to open! Agghhhh!

Mine didnt work once when i took my sister to the airport :lol: funny old world..

I used CV joint grease... and used absolutely loads of it, up and in all the little nooks and crannies, then gave it all a good jiggle. Been fine for a few months now.

lukester85
29-04-2010, 01:57

I had this on my last ibiza, ended up taking the plastic trim off the inside the boot, popping the white box that moves the clamp shut (solenoid?) taking it to my mate who at the time worked for seat, he ordered me a new one... i cant remember exactly but think it cost about £30 including his discount! Worked alright after that, but didnt keep the car for long so whether it was that or not i dunno.... might have fixed it temporarily by accidentally wiggling something!

Mobo
01-05-2010, 19:40
hi
i see there is a few common problems
would you recommend a tdi model for someone who sits in traffic all day or are all the rattles and noises that bad

Binz
04-05-2010, 08:50
Hi Mobo, i have TDI sport and sitting in traffic is no problem re noise or comfort. I do 30 mile each way commute; stop-start or pootling traffic in mornings up the M3.

Binz

Nick_
27-05-2010, 22:53
Ibiza 1.4s

Engine Management light came on and car wouldnt start, eventually it did!! Sounded Rough! Only firing on Two cylinders!! Replaced all four Coils, problem fixed :D

DFMM
28-05-2010, 02:32
Replacement of all 3 coil-packs on my Son's 1.2 Ibiza, needed a new lambda probe, done-in by the first failure. I replaced the 2nd and 3rd coils myself a fortnight after the Seat dealer did the first one. I had a local garage check with a Bosch lap-top style diagnostic unit, the day after my work, and the lambda warning was persistent. New one cost £85, replaced free of VaT or labour. The car is running on Denso Iridium Power sparkplugs, which are less demanding on the H.T. system.

ruhul
30-05-2010, 02:00
had a hairline crack on the righthand side of the boot with made a noise got it fix under warranty took 3 weeks to be fixed
Rear washer pipe came off 2 times

Binz
14-06-2010, 09:07
intermittent imobiliser fault. Would sometimes start and immediately die. Keys reset (no cost but no better). So they took dash out and resoldered circuit board connections to fix it, seems to be OK now, cost £185 in labour charge. Was told if it needed new circuit board they cost £400 plus labour!

kimimaru
17-07-2010, 12:41
This is insane problem some people have on here , but we all still love it , all my problem started when instaling a raadio alpine ida x001 ,alpine conector for iso , all original genuine . after instaling the radio.

1 Airbag lights come up on dash does not go , allways back on after starting the car now is there for ever.
2 some times after few minuts of car in neutral the engine sounds like is going to cut off but then come to normal ,
3 . after 2 days stop when starting the car the rev speeds is 1. plus in without acelerating.
4. rear screen wiper no water .
5. sometimes the car sounds like is 3litre engine in there dont knwo if its fine or its a problem, special when parking . sounds coming from exaust ????
6. there is some quit little noise on driver front wheell , when parked on neutral ,dealer says its normal today , next day they cant ear noting , noise goes and comes back.

pottsyfabs
02-08-2010, 21:57
Hey up lads, im having a few problems with the other half's ibiza fr tdi 130 06 reg facelift model!!!
The steering is realy stiff entering corners then half way round the corner it loosens off to the normal light steering it feels awfull and borderline dangerous!!!
feels like there is no power steering then all of a sudden it will kick in.

Also the rear tyres are lumping round the inside radius creating a terrible wheel bearing noise!!!
how can i prevent this from happening its going thru rear boots on piece????

raul_sbd
10-08-2010, 08:24
Hi folks,

I bought a Seat Ibiza 1.4 Petrol 56 with 27k on the clock. 1 month ago and i been having a problem with the handling specially in wet or bumpy conditions.

The steering is very loosy (i dont know if supose to be like that on this models) the thing is that Whilst cornering on a bend or roundabout the car feels like it is under-steering or like it is floating or driving on sand. Lane changed on dual carriageways or motorways also produce a similar nervousness, specially when is wet. The driver is unsure exactly what the front wheels are doing and the steering is not responsive.

I feel like i have to do constant micro corrections in wet surfices or roads with holes.. perhaps is just a feeling rather a necessity, nevertheless the steering makes the driver feels uneasy.

I checked the tyre pressure and were ok, then i brough the car to a kwit fit and they said to me that all was ok. After my independen local garage said to me that the o/s lower arm bush needed to be changed due to split. I drove after my car to Seat for a checking and they said the car was ok but they found the same o/s lower arm bush starting to split (even the chap said that was not very importart) they advice me to change it qouting me 220 £. Then i drove my car to another independent garage and they quote me 200£ for change the 2 wishbones + 2 bushes (cupra ones that are more hard, not the original rubber ones). I think i gonna chose this last option... and book the car for friday.

My questions are if someone has had same or similar problem? how affects the driving car a split bush? and following your experience what another things can be compromising the handling in a car fairly new and with 7m treat tyres all arround??

Thank you for your answers

jpcibiza90
18-08-2010, 22:06
my list 1.4 100bhp AUB 02 reg
lost 5th gear had a load of plastic round it its fine now just squeels a tiny bit
new startermotor
gearbox leak
cables in window snapped
hand brake light flashes when accelerate after i changed discs n pads
arb buggered
thats all i can think of atm

kimimaru
25-08-2010, 16:16
I think best to do is go online and find warranty for it on a dealer it cost estra 300 per year , but online is like 170 , they pay all genuine problems that make huge bill they wont pay any mods but engine they will up to 3000 should be fine for the 200 and over bills .

darkchaos
26-09-2010, 09:03
Hey there,

Just got myself a 2003 Seat Ibiza with the 1.4 100 bhp engine.
But offcourse, there are already problems:

Interior was very wet, if i pressed the floor in the rearpassenger area, a lot of water came up. Fortunately that dried up.

I also have the foggy rearlights and headlights, imho a Seat problem, cause our '06 Nubira and our "06 206 and the Skoda's, Mercedesses and VW's from my work(taxi) doesn't have those problems..

But there's 1 problem i can't find the answer to: The key won't turn if i want to unlock the door manually... It does work on the rear, but also not as it's supposed to work, but both keys won't work on the driver's side of the car.
Fortunately the Remote control does work, but what if it runs out of battery?

powered_by_pies
13-10-2010, 22:11
Hey guys, posted about 2 months ago when I picked up my '07 Ibiza 1.4 sport (meant to be a DAB special edition - it's got everything EXCEPT the DAB radio! Just the standard one! Doesn't really bother me though). Looks like it's already got a problem!

The emmission light's come on. Took it out to pop down the shops just now, and the light came on. Cue much swearing from myself.

Can anyone shed any light onto what it could be? I'm assuming it's just the Lambda sensor? More importantly, is it safe to drive until it goes in (won't know until tomorrow when I can get it in to the dealers, obviously)?

Also, every now and then, the engine 'hiccups'. Nothing major, it just seems to drop power for about hald a second. then it's fine. The lights don't dip, so it's not an electrical fault as far as I can tell. It's not really causing me great concern, I'm just keeping my eye on it in case it gets worse. Sometimes it'll hiccup a few times a day, sometimes it won't do it for a few days.

Anyone have any idea what it could be?

beaks
22-10-2010, 17:39
Emission light comes on and when idling the car starts to shake pretty bad and even sometimes loses most power ( even when floored wont go above 2k revs) although when i turn it off and on again its generally grand, its a 1.2 ibiza, any ideas whats wrong?

beaks
22-10-2010, 18:45