Common Mk4 Problems

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
I thought it might be useful to have a thread to post problems encountered on your Mk4 Ibiza to see how common they are and if they have been successfully solved, preferably under warranty.

I thought it could include the car model, the problem, the symptoms and then the action taken to cure the problem and was it a warranty claim.

Here's my list so far:

04 Reg. FR TDi.

Recall for fuel pump bolts.
Replaced under warranty but this caused a fuel leak which was then cured at the second attempt.

New brake light switch.
Glowplug light showing on dash.
Warranty fix.

New ABS ECU.
Power steering light showing on dash.
Warranty fix after 1 week wait for parts.

Fuel gauge stopped working.
Warranty fix of broken wire in footwell.

Creaking rear suspension.
Lubricated under warranty but ongoing problem when roads are salted.

Door seal round window replaced.
Excessive wind noise.
Warranty fix but badly fitted and did not cure problem.

Misting in all lights.
Removed bulbs and dried out headlights myself.
Comes and goes with atmospheric conditions.
Would not fix under warranty.

Various trim rattles.
Fixed myself with varying degrees of success.

Over to you now.:)

Last edited:

tommmineh

1.2 POWER
Feb 28, 2005
Sheffield/Rotherham
Wire from battery to starter motor
The plastic bit that plugs into the starter motor had broke, fixed by AA man with a spade clip :) Harder to fix on larger engines as lots less space in the bay.
symptoms - nothing happens when you turn the key, you can hear the fuel pump, but nowt else.

Timing chain (1.2 12v engine)
belt slips causing all sorts of chaos, common fault with this engine, can happen at low mileage! Mine happened at 45k when the car was just (3 weeks [:@] ) out of warranty. BIG BILL!
SEAT UK SHOULD OFFER A GOODWILL PAYMENT, if the dealer doesnt offer, talk to Seat customer services.
symptoms - car turns over but will not start

Black_FR

Rear Wash Wiper

Seems to be a common fault. The fluid tube disconnects from the wiper arm and then sends the contents into the boot.

Fixed under warrenty

gazjones

Turbo manifold bolts on 20vt
these can work lose on mapped or standard car, starts with a loud whistle like kettle when on boost then gets more like blowing exhaust. fixed undr warrenty needed new gaskets and bolts happened over easter bank holiday so was with out car for over a week should be done in 2 days.

reedbradshaw

Spireite till i die
Oct 6, 2006
chesterfield
stalls when you try to start it in 1st or 2nd come to think of it any gear for that matter unless you have your clutch down.

breaks if you crash it.

Ad Lav

vRS...
Nov 10, 2006
Kent
coxw - love the new car mate!! New black one went past me this morning, sounds great, looks great, goes like stink!

capt.slow

Problems.

I have an 05 1.4 5 door SE 75bhp.Usual washer pipe issues.Became disconnected first in the engine bay,then the hatch twice,then rear drivers side wheel arch.Fixed by myself.
Also a faulty coolant temperature sensor and a rattling catalytic converter both replaced under warranty

Andy5224

Wire from battery to starter motor
The plastic bit that plugs into the starter motor had broke, fixed by AA man with a spade clip :) Harder to fix on larger engines as lots less space in the bay.
symptoms - nothing happens when you turn the key, you can hear the fuel pump, but nowt else.

belt slips causing all sorts of chaos, common fault with this engine, can happen at low mileage! Mine happened at 45k when the car was just (3 weeks [:@] ) out of warranty. BIG BILL!
SEAT UK SHOULD OFFER A GOODWILL PAYMENT, if the dealer doesnt offer, talk to Seat customer services.
what kind of noise did the belt make? i have some weird (whistling noise) usually when i go up hill at 1500-2000rpm. anything similar?

tommmineh

1.2 POWER
Feb 28, 2005
Sheffield/Rotherham
Doesn't make any noise AFAIK

I'd driven the car a bit in the morning, noticed nothing unusual, I cleaned it, then moved it out of the way to clean another car, went to start it a short time later and it wouldnt start.

Andy5224

till now (i have the car for 2 years now) i had the:
rear wiper problem - fixed in 10 minutes covered by warranty
door sensor - needs new lock costing 110pounds, (usually covered by waranty but mine expired)
Some noise coming from the engine - at the service the dont hear anything! but i do!
vibration inside... when i got the car i tried to figure out where it was coming from and fix it by taking apart some panels and fixing them back (did it with the side panel in the boot). but now that the vibration comes from almost everywhere i got used to it

red_october

My dealer said he's never heard about this timing chain problem before....
I've had the washer pipe come off 3 times, EGR valve fault twice and coil pack once.

alex@2006

belt slips causing all sorts of chaos, common fault with this engine, can happen at low mileage! Mine happened at 45k when the car was just (3 weeks ) out of warranty. BIG BILL!

I know what you mean when i turn the key all u can hear is the engine trying to start but i wont. Mechanic had a look at it and told me the belt had sliped which wouldnt allow it to start. I contacted Seat to ask when i could take the car down to them so they can fix it. All i got was an answer saying sorry sir we are fully booked untill the 1st of march :wtf: so much for customer service. so now ive had to pay £650 to get this problem fixed which of course Seat wont pay for or even botherd to have a look at. [:@]

spyke85

I Like Cheese!
Oct 26, 2003
Bolton
Visit site
Regarding the noisy window seal, I had to replace mine myself and since the wind noise is terrible. Should I remove it, and try refitting it and the mirror?

FLK

May 14, 2005
UK, Staffordshire
Another niggle, handbrake button sticking in on release. I've been to the dealer and had the cover replaced but it's still happening. Car's an 06 plate FR 20vt and has done less than 6500 miles in 8 months.

osorabjee

I have a clunking noise on my 130 sport 02. It comes from the passenger side front wheel when you pull off and go over bumps...any ideas?
Has anyone had any problems with rear wishbone bushes wearing badly? what price am i looking at?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.