Hurdy's Polo GTI - Ibiza cousin!

Hurdy

Yorkshire - born and bred
Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
I pop in on the Ibiza section quite often and so thought I'd share my latest ride.

VW 6R Polo GTI
Deep Pearl Black
5 door
7 speed DSG

I got carried away and ticked quite a few of the options boxes :D

Climate control
Convenience pack
Sensor pack
Winter pack
Xenon headlights with DRL's
Multi-function steering wheel

I was initially tempted to have the RNS310 Satnav unit, but found out that it only had a 5" screen and less functionality than the VW RNS510 that is an option on the Golf and so held off and kept the standard RCD310.

Here is a pic of the car as standard.

IMAG0217.jpg

However she didn't stay that way for long and within the week she was sporting Revo stage 1 and uprated NGK BKR7EIX spark plugs . The power went from 178.7bhp/178.3lbft to 206.5bhp/223lbft and felt much better for it.

As you can see from the first photo, the car looked rather high on the OEM suspension, so I ordered some Bilstein B16 PSS9 coilovers to help reduce that pesky arch gap.
At the same time I ordered a front brake upgrade from TAROX and also was fortunate to lay my sticky mits on a full Milltek turbo-back exhaust system, VWRacing special order Team dynamics Pro Race 1.2's (they have the motorsport rim logo deleted and have no need for spigot rings), Whiteline rear ARB and a Tomioka lightweight race battery.
The combined effect of all these mods was to effectively reduce the weight of the car and help with handling and power for trackwork in 2012.[B)] The rear spare was replaced by a tyre repair aerosol and overall the car dropped in weight by 50kg from it's initial weight of 1200kg (with half a tank of fuel).

Once the exhaust went on I had the car moved to Revo stage 2 and dyno'd on the same rollers. The car went from 206.5bhp/223lbft at stage 1 to 220.5bhp/232.5lbft at stage 2 and still on the OEM intake.

This made me torment REVO for their new ITG intake, which was duly fitted and then the car went back on the same rollers again to see what the difference was. The car went from 220.5bhp/232.5lbft on the stock filter to 236bhp/267.9lbft with the ITG intake - just goes to show how restrictive the OEM exhaust must be and how good the ITG intake is.

IMAG0258.jpg

The next gap to fill was the woeful headunit and I had managed to use my connections to get hold of the latest revision F RNS510 head unit along with the latest bluetooth module and GPS antennae. These were all fitted by Darren who is a whizz with this kit and duly set the equipment up to show speed cameras and speed limits as POI's and code in the reverse sensors and MFSW.

RNS510.jpg

So, here are a few pics of how she looks at the moment.

Brakes - TAROX b30 - 6 pots - 323mm disc
IMAG0238.jpg

Lowered with all the kit on.
IMAG0241.jpg

A couple of arty shots
Morning19112011v2web.jpg

Morning19112011noregweb.jpg

Future mods in the pipeline are:-

Uprated intercooler
Uprated radiator
Water/meth
Hybrid turbo
ATB LSD
Polybushing

These should be done before the 2012 show/track season begins.

Thanks for viewing and comments welcome. [B)]

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
I'm looking for around 270bhp to 280bhp with the hybrid, intercooler and water/meth all in place. Much more than this and I think it will spoil the balance of the car. :)

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
So, it is the return of the Performance box. :D

0-60mph runs on a flat surface and done each way. Surface was dry, but with some mud in parts. Tyres were normal road tyres (not semi slicks), the car had it's full interior minus the spare (aerosol onboard!) and a full tank of fuel. Runs were done in sport mode with the traction control off.

0-60mph in 5.1 second both ways [B)]

Here is a pic of the performance box screen.

IMAG0262.jpg

adamb87

cupra gone :(
Feb 13, 2011
Preston
Good effort, that is seriously quick!! Cant believe the difference that the intake made to performance. Good stuff!

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Good effort, that is seriously quick!! Cant believe the difference that the intake made to performance. Good stuff!

The OEM intake has a very restrictive intake inlet and the path it has to take is torturous as well as the filter being very restrictive too. ITG really know their onions when it comes to delivering power.......and air[B)]

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Whilst bored I knocked up some comparison graphs and separated torque from power. These were all done on the same dyno. The overall area under the graph is the important thing and shows how the power/torque delivery changes as the tuning progresses.

POWER
Dynocomparisons.jpg

TORQUE
Dynocomparisonslbft.jpg

The difference on power and torque delivery from stock to mapped is phenomenal, at some points the difference between mapped and stock is 70bhp on power and at other points up to 150lbft more on torque :-o

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Another performance box update. Done with the first half on the flat and then a kink to a slightly uphill second half. Brave pill swallowed, dry start with damp patches. Had to brake just before the 1/4 mile mark, otherwise I would have run out of available surface.

0-100mph with another consistent 0-60mph
IMAG0268.jpg

1/4 mile time - this was only just achieved and I was braking before the end of it. Remember this wasn't a bang straight run and the whole of the second half was uphill. If I had the room then I reckon probably a 102mph terminal would have been about right and if it had all been straight and flat, who knows?
IMAG0269.jpg

So, I guess I need to adjust my targets a little!! :whistle:

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Didn't know the polo GTI came as a 5 door as well. Looks really smart mate, hate the standard alloys, so glad you got rid of them lol

Cheers.

Yeah, I would have had a 3dr, but have elderly parents and I can't see them squeezing in and out of a 3dr.
I know what you mean about the standard alloys - they have now been well and truly overdone on the VW cars.

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Need a few targets to aim to beat .......

0-60mph - target under 5 seconds
0-100mph - target is 13 seconds
1/4 mile - target is 13.6 seconds

and maybe a sub 8min 30 second Bridge to Gantry on the Nurburgring. :whistle:

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
Nice car dude, always been a fan of the Polo GTI :)

Good power gains/times dude.

hahahah good luck with the 8min30 BTG lap ;)
I just did a 9min20 in my 200sx, but few mods going on now, so next year I was <9mins :)

Keep it up

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Nice car dude, always been a fan of the Polo GTI :)

Good power gains/times dude.

hahahah good luck with the 8min30 BTG lap ;)
I just did a 9min20 in my 200sx, but few mods going on now, so next year I was <9mins :)

Keep it up

An 8min 30 second b to g is achievable. I did an 8 min 15 second full lap in the ED30. I'll have a few extra bits on by the time I get to the 'ring too. ;)

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire
Looking good. Quite fancy one of these in 3DR form. How's the DSG box handling the extra torque? Any room for improvement or is it at it's limit?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.