spacesaver tyre and wheel

rubble2

Aug 21, 2006
Apologies if this has already been covered but I am trying to find some definitive information on the spacesaver spare for an 06 model year Leon.

I bought this car (2.0 TDI Reference Sport) 10 days ago, It is a pre registered 06 model and therefore does not have a spare wheel. I have asked the parts dept. at the dealer what the part numbers and prices are, this is what I was told :-

There are two versions of spacesaver wheels for the Leon, an 18" one and a 16" one, both apparantly will fit my car ?
The 18" wheel with tyre is readily available from Seat for approx £173.68
The 16" wheel is not currently available as Seat do not have any suitable tyres available.
I then asked if the 16" rim was available without the tyre, it is for £39.55, the idea being to source the tyre myself. I therefore asked what the spec of the tyres was, and was told that the 18" version is a 125-70-18 and that the 16" version is a 125-70-16
I am assuming that the '70' in both cases is the aspect ratio, so how can a 16" rim with a '70' aspect ratio tyre fit a car that has 205-55-16 tyres as standard? Even more worrying, how could a 125-70-18 ever fit?.

The dealer later phoned me back and sail that they could source and fit a brigestone tyre to the 16" rim for an all in price of £99, which I guess isn't bad, I am just worried that what he is telling me is wrong.

If anyone has a new Leon with a spacesaver spare, could they confirm the tyre and rim size for me please, and the size of the standard wheels on the car. Thanks

Distant Sun

Contains mild peril
Sep 9, 2005
Belfast
At the time I tried to get a space saver for our Altea there where two different sizes available in Europe, 16" and 18", but only 18" in UK (as far as I know). The tyre size for the 18" was T125/70 R18. From the thread below there are links to the German Seat forum (provided by Klawit) which seem to confirm that the tyre size for the 16" wheel is T125/70 R16 (subject to my best German translation);)

http://http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69721&highlight=space+saver

The dealer may actually be correct for once:whistle:

Edit: By the way, welcome to the site and enjoy your new car!

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
Do the tyres go in your boot, or under it?

If they go in the boot, surely it'd be cheaper to find a full size steelie and tyre from eBay? If I was in your shoes, I'd do that as space savers can really ruin a day, especially when you're in a rush.

Stealthdave

Sep 28, 2006
doesnt come with a spare wheel? is it like the gilf with a repair kit to get you home then?

Chuckie

I Have It
Apr 22, 2006
South Lincolnshire
The original Mk2 Leons came with a tin of foam etc, but the 2007MY FR comes with a space saver as standard (I don't know if it is an FR or a 2007MY thing)

Chris

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members