ARGHHHH: Engine Speed Sensor / Crackshaft Positioning Sensor

Sly-Delvecchio

Leet Nerd.
Apr 11, 2009
West Midlands
www.conceptex.co.uk
Right - more of a nightmare. I'm REALLY pissed off to be honest after just speaking to the mechanic. I've got rid of my glow plug problems, it was just the plugs.
The only problem I've noticed, apart from the lights on my dash & the error log, is that my car is taking MUCH longer to start than usual.

Apparently it seems OK to the mechanic though. It takes 10 or so seconds to start. It used to take 1 second, like my brothers Leon TDi.

My car: Seat Leon Cupra TDi 1.9 150PS 2004.

VAG-COM Log:
--------------------

Address 01: Engine
Controller: 038 906 019 KG
Component: 1,9l R4 EDC 0000SG 5342
Coding: 00002
Shop #: WSC 06402
VSSZZZ1MZ4R103021 SEZ7Z0D2464989
1 Fault Found:
16706 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28): No Signal
P0322 - 35-00 - -
Readiness: N/A

--------------------

Figured I'd start with a new sensor.

Phoned a garage near me. Spoke with him a few times now. Every time I speak to him he tells me that he doesn't think it's the "Vehicle Speed Sensor" as he calls it. I agree to take my car in.

He runs it through his computer (not VAG-COM, dunno what). He phones me and tells me it's the Crankshaft Positioning Sensor not the Speed Sensor... like he thought.

He replaced the Crankshaft Positioning Sensor today (with an aftermarket sensor). Didn't fix the problem.

Now he's given me some options:

• Get a genuine part because my car might not like the aftermarket part although it would be the first time he's seen it. If the genuine part fixes the problem then he'll send the aftermarket sensor back for a refund as it would have not fixed the problem. If the genuine part doesn't fix the problem then I'm stuck with a bill for 2 sensors I don't need.
  • ECU could be failing. (Although everything else is OK...)

He DIDN'T mention that he could have changed the wrong sensor or that it might be worth changing the speed sensor.

Sounds a little bit to me like the he should have just changed the damn speed sensor, being as though that is what VAG-COM is saying, not the damn positioning sensor which VAG-COM hasn't complained about.

Does anyone have any insight?

Last edited:

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Yes take it to some one who knows what they are doing and doesnt just replace parts there code reader tells them to.

Your engine has 2 "engine speed sensors" the camshaft sensor which takes its reading from the back of the camshaft pully and the crankshaft pully which takes its reading from the crankshaft at the front.

The crankshaft pully is the faulty one in 99% of cases but he might have swapped the cam sensor because its the only on he can see and its easier to fit. The crank sensor is behind the oil filter housing.

If you have a pic of the removed sensor i can tell you which one it is and also what lights are on the dash?

Sly-Delvecchio

Leet Nerd.
Apr 11, 2009
West Midlands
www.conceptex.co.uk
Yes, and now he's saying that I still have to pay for the sensor he's put in that hasn't fixed the problem.
VERY annoyed.

Yes I just spoke to SEAT, they told me that there's 2 speed sensors. Camshaft Sensor & Crankshaft Sensor.

So is the Crankshaft Position Sensor (as my garage calls it) actually the Crankshaft Speed Sensor?

The lights on the dashboard are the EML (Engine Management Light) and the Glow Plug light flashes on and off continuously.

Don't have the sensor he took out at the moment because I don't have my car back yet, just looking for some information before I go and collect it. I can take a picture of it when I collect my car.

I think the one he changed is at the front of the engine block, behind the oil filter housing. Seems very awkward to change actually. Is that the crankshaft sensor?

Any ideas regarding my car not starting great? Even with faulty glow plugs it was starting brilliantly, before this sensor problem occured. Do either of these sensors going faulty explain that?

Also - if I reset the error codes, the problem won't come back until a few engine starts later, and only comes on when starting the engine - not during driving. Also, when the error first comes on after it's been reset, the traction control warning light comes on & you can't turn traction control on. Turn engine off/on again, training control problem goes away.

Sorry for all the questions, but this garage has pissed me off now that I have to pay and the problem isn't fixed.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
if they have told you thats whats faulty then replaced it and it hasnt cured the fault then they havent done there job correctly.

The bad starting could be directly down to this fault.

Fit a genuine part, vag cars are very fussy when it comes to stuff like this.

Yes the crankshaft position/speed sensor is the same thing and it sounds like they have changed the right one.

The tcs will knock off because it has no speed readout from the engine and in order to limit the power it needs to know the engine speed.

Sly-Delvecchio

Leet Nerd.
Apr 11, 2009
West Midlands
www.conceptex.co.uk
Thanks for your advice MJ.

I've picked up my car now, with the aftermarket camshaft sensor fitted.

Starts brilliantly now... but lights are still on and there's a new problem.
When I rev to 3k revs the revs just suddenly drop, or cut out all together, and the traction control warning light comes on.

I'm thinking that this is because it's not a genuine parts. I'm ordering a genuine part tomorrow, only £37.

Cheers again

Sly-Delvecchio

Leet Nerd.
Apr 11, 2009
West Midlands
www.conceptex.co.uk
I am. No complaint required, they offered, which makes a nice change.

When I get the genuine part I'm taking it back to them, they're fitting the part. If it fixes the problem, which it should, they're not charging me extra labour and they're returning the non-genuine sensor to refund me the cost of it.

Sly-Delvecchio

Leet Nerd.
Apr 11, 2009
West Midlands
www.conceptex.co.uk
Just saying thanks to everyone who helped me here. Got it sorted in the end. Glow plugs were causing errors but not problems.

Bad start & more errrors was Crankshaft Positioning Sensor. It needed a genuine sensor which I got from the local Stealer (Barlow) for £36.40. Not bad.

benwilliams05

hey, been reading your posts and have got exactly the same fault with my car. Just need some info as i was getting confused in the end. So what sensor do i need exactly, as i was told the cam speed sensor. Is this the same 1? i priced 1 up from the locol garage, but not a genuine part as i thought they would b a lot cheaper. but the seat dealer 1 u quoted was 4 quid cheaper. Any info regarding this post would b brilliant, as my car is driving me nuts now.

Thanks

Sly-Delvecchio

Leet Nerd.
Apr 11, 2009
West Midlands
www.conceptex.co.uk
hi mate, sorry for short reply, I'm on my phone.

yes its the same sensor. there's a few different names for it.

DO NOT get a non-genuine part. my garage tried one first before the genuine and when my engine got to 3000 rpm it had a fit, kind of cut out for a sec, and about a million lights came on.

to be clear its the sensor which u have to take the oil filter off to get to.

get a genuine part!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members