Platinum Grey Leon FR TDI Hybrid - The End!

Ad Lav

vRS...
Nov 10, 2006
Kent
Shame the weather was so naff today, would have liked the demo of those HUGE brakes!!

Car looks great mate and wheels are stunning in the flesh!

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Shame the weather was so naff today, would have liked the demo of those HUGE brakes!!

Car looks great mate and wheels are stunning in the flesh!
Thanks mate,

Like i said earlier was great to meet you and see your car in flesh too. I was shocked at how much worked your put into the car and it really does have a unique look! If you can believe it when I set off the car was 100% clean. By the time i got to you it was filthy hehe!

As for demo I am sure we can hook up again soon to show what our cars can do! :)

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
ATE High Performance Big Brake Kit review
----
326x30mm Discs
ATE Big Brake Calipers (4 big pots)
ATE High Performance Brake Pads
EBC Dot-5 brake fluid

I have done almost 400 miles since the new brakes and I can safely say they are bedded in quite nicely.

My first opinion of them is very positive. When I first set off as they felt very strong but not too strong when initially braking in traffic. Very progressive stops when required and not too much initial bite which was my main complaint with the 312mm conversion I had. Once the brakes have warmed up a little that's when they really come alive. The braking power of the 4 big pots on them is truly immense. You can literally dive in and out of traffic spaces knowing that you can stop whenever and wherever you want.

On a quiet road I did a 60-0mph stop. The 312mm brake setup tends to bite much earlier and fade near the end. The ATE kit gets stronger and strong near the end. There has been scenario where i had to stop suddenly so i didn't jump a red light...there was a nicely feeling knowing that the brakes progressively get stronger, this enables you to control the braking distance much easier.

Only negative about the brakes thus far is brake dust covering my wheels :)

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
See i told you matt black wheels are the new silver ;) Sounds like you're happy with the upgrade to the brakes though - just have to watch out for numptys in stock 3 series BMW tailgating and assuming that they can stop as well as sooty Leon :D

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
ATE High Performance Big Brake Kit review opinion #2

Hmmm i felt a little bit of disappointment today. Not sure if it is the pad compound or not but it seems the brakes do have to warm up a little to get the performance i expect. Not sure if I am expecting them to bite and they are not when I want them too. I felt this sensation with Brembos but the brembo OE pad seems to bit that little bit earlier which gives confidence. I didn't feel that today with the brakes. Although on a country road driving spirited the setup preformed very well...I am little confused...

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Hmmm i felt a little bit of disappointment today. Not sure if it is the pad compound or not but it seems the brakes do have to warm up a little to get the performance i expect. Not sure if I am expecting them to bite and they are not when I want them too. I felt this sensation with Brembos but the brembo OE pad seems to bit that little bit earlier which gives confidence. I didn't feel that today with the brakes. Although on a country road driving spirited the setup preformed very well...I am little confused...

Mine need a little bit of heat to work at speed - i expected that. It's not that they're bad from cold, just that they're not as sharp as they are when they're hot :)

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I think i was a little spoilt with the DS2500s because didnt take much for them to work sharply at all. Like you said it not as if when they are cold they are bad just not as good when they got heat in them...

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Little update on what things I got planned next couple of months

1) Full interior LED conversion is happening in the next couple of weeks

2) Engine cover, battery cover and airbox is getting sprayed piano black or another color which i am toying with.

3) Purchased LCR mesh exterior B pillars (MDS stylie)

4) Rear calipers will be painted RED

5) Toying with the idea of getting rear spacers. Doing this because the stopping power is so tremendous now the brakes are fully bedded in it goes a little bit skittish at the back. KarlosR is his spacers solved this and his car looks great with them on! Another option is to replace rear pads for DS2500s which i have been told by my trusty source unclefester fixes things :)

6) Purchase of a Megs G220 Dual action PC to detail the car. Although i get comments that it looks very clean and shiney i am not 100% happy so have to go that one step above what I am doing now to get the look i want.

7) Leather handbrake cover

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Don't forget i have rear spacers already - i always felt ( especially since the big front brakes went on) that the car always stopped like it was nose heavy. Since fitting the rear DS2500 there just seems to be that little more bite from the rear which seems to pull the car to a standstill slightly more level.

Once the bearings are fixed and new wheels are on you'll have to take it for a spin and see if you can feel a difference or not.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Ok pat, I'll take you up on that offer next meet. I probably wont be getting spacers and pads until after the next meet anyway. Just bought a new fence for the house so hit the wallet a little this month :(

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Oh right :)

Well i bought the panels now at trade price (brother is a tiler so got various trade accounts) and they shouldnt be hard to fit. Just slot into the concrete posts. If i get stuck i know who to call though! hehe

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
LED Conversion underway!

This Saturday, two cars and 22LEDs are going to undergo some major surgery.

Ordered these, very high quality and all coming in Warm White. There was Cool white but i think the "cooler" it is the less light output in the dark. It also makes the car look very cold.

16x

3ledsmtfest.jpg

2x

21ledfestoon.jpg

4x

ultimate501.jpg

Last edited:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Well just got them today and found out that warm white and cool white are not Xenon HID look...back they go then a whole £116s worth. :(

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.