Platinum Grey Leon FR TDI Hybrid - The End!

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
SFS Turbo Outlet, Pancake and Allow FMIC kit: Impressions and rolling road results!
-----

As scheduled with Anthony from SFS I turned up this morning at AmD Essex ready for the bits to be fitted to resolve problems I had in earlier months. As you could imagine i was very pleased when I saw the alloy FMIC bits in good length and thickness. I was also quite eager to get their new turbo outlet pipe which is DOUBLE the size of the OEM one and the new replacement pancake pipe which is also double the size.

The car was rolling roaded before any work was started. The result was 231 BHP / 361lb/ft . I was over the moon already as this was the first time rr'ed since I had "the final map" put on.

We quickly got to work and fitted the parts. Big thanks to Anthony from SFS and Steve@AmD for working together to get it all fitted. Some bits need tweaking but I think in all its very well put together. here are the pictures, excuse the poor quality.

SFSTurboFMIC1.jpg

SFSTurboFMIC2.jpg

SFSTurboFMIC3jpg

After stopping a few rattles I went on a test run. The car felt more punching mid range but that was it. The sound it produced however was absolutely amazing. I just cant describe the sound but hearing the boost go through the alloy is lovely :drool:

The car was rolling roaded again and it got 257 BHP / 371lb/ft. I was absolutely gob smacked.

Although I said earlier that I couldn't feel much difference, the ride home was an eye opener as just how much of a difference its made. The car has started to adapt nicely to the new setup and its faster than its ever been. The torque has smoothed itself out a lot so although there is more torque the edge has slightly gone however acceleration is ballistic as ever. The extra torque and bhp just eat up the tarmac and the joyful song of the alloy pipes put a massive smile on my face each time you feather the throttle.

The graphs should be up soon I hope. More reviews to come during the week on how the car adapts. All in all a good day :D

Last edited:

brad1

AmD maps ftw :) some interesting stuff today mate, glad it's now finally sorted for you, well the project won't ever be finished for you :lol:

MattFrench

No poke without smoke
Jan 16, 2007
www.rsfrench.com
Thats very impressive maz.

speaking to paul at RS tunning who mapped my car said that the extra cooling will see more power and yourself, AMD and SFS has proved that.

You got any details on the size of the intercooler and when all these goodies will be available.

Did you have the map tweaked again at the end or are they pure hardware gains.

PS was there a fault in your hoses.

strugers1

i think i am going to have to get my sfs hose clip thing on and invest in a miltek DP to match that sort of power gains vry nice mate

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
that is some serious power :-o

what kind of mpg were you getting before this final work has been done?
Depends on whether I am doing motorway. Around town it varies from 38-42mpg, on motorway it can be anything from 50-64mpg depending on how much i granny the car. I would say mpg remains unchanged.

AmD maps ftw :) some interesting stuff today mate, glad it's now finally sorted for you, well the project won't ever be finished for you :lol:
Great are they :) The smoke has died down quite a bit since the car has adapted a little on the way home which is great.

great result Maz :)
Cheers Aaron - wonder what WMI would do?

Bloodyhell what a result. Glad you got the pipe work sorted at last mate.
Cheers Dave :)

Thats very impressive maz.

speaking to paul at RS tunning who mapped my car said that the extra cooling will see more power and yourself, AMD and SFS has proved that.

You got any details on the size of the intercooler and when all these goodies will be available.

Did you have the map tweaked again at the end or are they pure hardware gains.

PS was there a fault in your hoses.
Cheers Matt.

The intercooler is the standard one and the goodies should be available within the coming weeks. Best to e-mail SFS.

The map hasnt been tweaked so these are pure hardware gains. I am having the map tweaked to chuck in less fuel to reduce smoking.

i think i am going to have to get my sfs hose clip thing on and invest in a miltek DP to match that sort of power gains vry nice mate
Yes you do...!

That's impressive maz have to take us out in the animal
No probs.

Think i saw yours at AMD today. Mine was the red mk3 ibiza cupra there having coilovers put on. Nice car by the way :D and great figures!
Cheers!

Yea saw your car having coilovers?

Good stuff maz :thumbup:
Cheers Liam

Good results Maz thats awesome!!! :)
Cheers Ed. She feels much quicker now.

Ed car keeping clean? :)

Last edited:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Nice to see the success of the new pipes. I hope that they transpire to be worth it in the end - I recall when the original pipes first came on the scene via Pat.
I hope so too.

Meeting with Anthony from SFS face to face help matters as we discussed the concerns I had with the OE kit to which he fully agreed.

The new kit "should" do much better this time as all the components are uprated, the silcone has more layers so should stand the test of time. Lets see, its the 2nd generation of the product and SFS are listening.

mrwookie

Big Daddy...
Mar 22, 2008
Cambs & Herts
Cheers Ed. She feels much quicker now.

Ed car keeping clean? :)

Oh yes its still got a lovely shine to it! Was really pleased with how it looked at Inters as well thanks to your handy work mate. :)

Been busy beavering away in the engine bay over the past week and finally finished evrything last night so will post some pics on my thread later showing what i've been up to. :);)

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Graph, Sound and Day #1 review

RR Graph and Sound
-----

The noise the car is making now is amazing. The car sounds transformed and I love the noise the boost makes when going through the alloy pipes - almost like I have a big induction kit but not so in your face type noise. When cruising you get a darth vader noise with a hint of metallic sound resonating from it. Here is a small clip, doesn't really capture the dumping sound of the boost so going to have to persuade the mrs to take a video of me driving it along.

Rolling road results. Waiting for electronic version as the print outs are not that great.

SFSresults1.jpg

SFSresults2.jpg

SFS GOODIES DAY #1
-----

I took the car out for a quick a drive tonight to see how well the car adapted. I didn't put the car through its paces as it was damp. Driving the car slowly the delivery of the power is smoother and less "jerky". You don't get any of the boost variations as you work through the revs which was one thing that really took the enjoyment out of driving slow. Also this smoothness was present when you put your foot down to overtake, much smoother delivery and plenty of in gear torque.

The biggest difference apart from the fact that the car is much much much faster now is that I almost get 3 waves of power instead of 2. One kick at 2500-2700, second kick at 3000 and another surge at 3700-3900 revs. Like I said I have not put the car through its paces yet as I need a track for that however you can certainly feel the extra torque through the rev range.

The graphs really do paint the picture very well. In terms of power there isn't a huge difference up to 3000rpm (apart from smoothness) however after that the car accelerates very aggressively. I might get flamed for this but the only other car I felt such smooth aggressive delivery like that was probees LCR which is super quick. :drool:

The problem I have now is that the car spins in 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the wet almost too easily (tyres need changed. Falken 452's just cant take the power)...wheel spinning in 3rd at 3800 is a little scary even with a diff.

More to come later on this week. Slick should be round to give me his opinion sometime this week, looking forward to that :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.