Audi S3 GT3582R stroker Build (previously GT3071r)

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Small update... spent a bit of time with the fuel pump tonight but didn't finish it off as I managed to leave the fittings at home... DOH!

Tony has been having a look at the downpipe and boy is it tight!!! new day, new problem... a power steering pump pipe is in the way. I have no pics as I forgot my camera too but its the one that comes out of the reservoir and down past the brake master cylinder. Its a flexible pipe part way down then goes hard pipe just past the MC and down across the subframe. This pipe needs to be moved to allow enough room for the DP to curve back out of the turbo.

Current idea is to remove this pipe and replace part of the hard pipe with hydraulic grade flexible pipe and route it out of the way to rejoin the hardpipe by the subframe. This should open up a nice space for the DP to live in.

Probably wait until Bill is back for a second opinion as I would rather we get this bit right.

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Been a casual couple of days, been playing with the TIP a bit to see where I can sensibly place outlets for the DV, N75 etc... Going to have a chat with Bill about this to make sure he is happy with my current train of thought.

Ran a pipe to the actuator and thinking I may leave that until the DP is done as this seems to be very close to everything no matter where I try to run it...

Spent a bit of time trying to avoid doing the fuel pump as I know until I get the push fit connectors I won't be happy with it so I just cleaned stuff for a while and the car is all shiny again...

Put it off as long as I could so went in determined to get a 'solution' in place until the push fit connectors are sorted.

Finally got it somewhere close to where I feel happy enough about it...
20090926_CRW_3767.jpg

Need to stick the battery on charge I think as I want it to be nice and healthy for when I start her up at last :)

Bit more faffing to do on the TIP, I was just going to get the alloy tubes welded together but I am now using the hump hose I bought from Forge to give me a little more adjustment and also as a little extra safeguard against vibrations killing the MAF sensor.

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Good progress made today, drilled the holes in the TIP to fit the outlets for the DV, N75 and breather stuff.... all ready for TIG welding now.

The star that is Tony has pieced together the downpipe too!!! WooHoo!! Didn't have to modify the power steering pipe in the end although it still needs to move a bit but here it is...

Tacking for mocking up...
20090927_CRW_3777.jpg

In situ...
20090927_CRW_3773.jpg

20090927_CRW_3774.jpg

Ready for final welding...
20090927_CRW_3781.jpg

20090927_CRW_3782.jpg

20090927_CRW_3783.jpg

Brilliant :)

Nearly there, will have pics of the TIP hopefully tomorrow night...

<tuffty/>

Andrew@ALD

If a top mount manifold was used would it be less tight like tiger?

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
If a top mount manifold was used would it be less tight like tiger?

Check out Mat20vt's A3 build thread for an example of a top mount in an A3 engine bay.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=206650

Wasn't as tight but still had its moments. Downpipe still has to miss stuff and exit next to the prop (its a quattro) but less hassle on the top.

I didn't want to go top mount due to wanting the OEM look but tbh from what I have been told underslung BT conversions are inherently trickier than a top mounted solution and considering how tight everything is with the OEM setup its always going to be a tad 'snug' in places...

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Thanks mate... will look into that further...

Had an interesting start to the day yesterday... The car I am driving about in while I work on my S3 ran out of fuel in the middle of nowhere (my fault entirely) so had to get the missus out of bed at 7:30am to bring me some fuel... she wasn't the happiest person in the world :)

Anyhoo... went to the workshop straight from work yesterday afternoon (having put more petrol in the Golf of course) and made a start on the cold air feed and TIP fitting.

A friend of mine managed to fit a 4" duct threaded past the battery and down into the bumper where the SMIC used to be... so after a quick PM I had a go at that too... gave up after an hour... no idea how he managed to get it in there but decided there was more to life and compromised but cutting it short past the battery so still getting the good stuff but with less lacerations of the arms and hands...

Obvious differences between the OEM inlet to the airbox and the 4" ducting
20091001_CRW_3793.jpg

Modding the airbox to accept the ducting...
20091001_CRW_3791.jpg

Ducting fitted...
20091001_CRW_3799.jpg

20091001_CRW_3803.jpg

20091001_CRW_3804.jpg

With that done, I started to put the TIP together and plumb everything back up. Its a little tight in places and I would like to make some improvements to the outlet positions for the DV and one of the breathers (my fault entirely) but it all works and the top end of the engine bay is now complete and back together.

Here is a pic of the TIP...
20091001_CRW_3806.jpg

Not a bad evenings work. Back on it from Saturday morning where the list of things left to do is getting smaller all the time.

DP just needs the V-Band flanges properly welded on and a lambda boss too. I can then wrap it and fit it.

The lower part of the exhaust and flexi to be welded up then fitted to the existing exhaust system.

Oil drain needs further modding to clear the driveshaft and any additional heat shielding applied.

Power steering pipe to be moved over a tad more.

Driveshaft to be refitted, propshaft to be bolted back on.

Everything to have a final going over to check its all tight and stuff...

Fluids then start the car!!!

Look for stuff leaking then last but not least of course, mapping!!!

Will update the thread Saturday evening with progress..

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Small update.... didn't get over to the workshop till late afternoon as the wife was having her hair done and I had the kids...

Anyhoo... went through a check list of stuff to check, making sure things are tight and connected properly. Downpipe is done and now wrapped ready to go on tomorrow once the oil drain has been modded.

20091003_CRW_3817.jpg

Bill was kinda busy so gave him a hand with stuff today.

Few things left to do, hopefully try and start the car late tomorrow with a mind to get her mapped in the week.

Fingers crossed she will be running for Audi International on the 10th but not gonna rush getting the last bits sorted out..

<tuffty/>

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
Awesome progress on this OEM look build love the stealthyness of everything, very kind of Bill to let you use his premises.

Last edited:

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
bill's a top man. Good project , wish bill was doing this when i had my s3.Good turbo choice aswell.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.