Help finding HIDs

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
Less hassle since no cutting the cover too! Happy days :p

Yeah I was never keen on that idea, stealth install all the way!

At least you have experience in tight spaces :cheeky: should make it a bit easier.
But I confess when I did mine I removed the bumper and the headlights since I was replacing a cluster too!

Need some matching sidelights when you are done too?

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
Yeah I was never keen on that idea, stealth install all the way!

At least you have experience in tight spaces :cheeky: should make it a bit easier.
But I confess when I did mine I removed the bumper and the headlights since I was replacing a cluster too!

Need some matching sidelights when you are done too?

Lol! I do that mate [B)] Yeah probably removing the bumper and unit would be easier, but Im going to attempt it without doing that first :p
Yeah I will once they're on, are the sidelights 501's in the Ibiza? I havent looked..

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
They are 501`s yeah, since you want 6000k hid`s I suggest this type: >>clicky<<

Known as a SMD type led - little yellow circle. (newer than the traditional type that looks like a little bulb >>clickity<<).
They are brighter and whiter than the older type and their colour is about 6000k so should match nicely.

Oh, and if you go for led`s, get more than 2 as they have been known to blow.

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
Thanks mate, Ive ordered a set of the top ones :thumbup:

Those the ones you have then? Not bad for £3.98 posted a set! Ill just wait till I need new ones then order some more :p

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
I don`t have them in at the moment, I`ve had them in before and she has them in her mk3, but as they are a little blue they don`t quite go with my 5000k`s.
Should look good with 6000k`s though - they are the whitest led`s I`ve found.

I`ve ordered some "warm white" ones to see if they match mine... the spending continues!

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
Ahh ok mate :) Hopefully they will go well.. Ill let you know when its all fitted!

"Warm white" Is that not what some sellers class as the 4300k/5000k? Should be ok if it is :p

Thanks for all your help btw mate!

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
Ahh ok mate :)

"Warm white" Is that not what some sellers class as the 4300k/5000k? Should be ok if it is :p

Thanks for all your help btw mate!

I think so, they look about 4300k from the pics, we`ll see.

No probs mate!

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
Got my HIDs today (well yesterday but got taken back to sorting office because no-one was in to sign for them :rolleyes:) Fitted them in about 40 minutes, both sides, and inside the headlight unit itself! And I never removed the units either :funk: Result!

Not seen them in proper dark yet, its just started to dull down so wont be long :)

Oh and Neo, thanks alot for your help and pictures again mate.. Very Very usefull and a great help! :thumbup:

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
Got my HIDs today (well yesterday but got taken back to sorting office because no-one was in to sign for them :rolleyes:) Fitted them in about 40 minutes, both sides, and inside the headlight unit itself! And I never removed the units either :funk: Result!

Not seen them in proper dark yet, its just started to dull down so wont be long :)

Oh and Neo, thanks alot for your help and pictures again mate.. Very Very usefull and a great help! :thumbup:

Good job mate, looks like inside the lights is the way forward for slim ballasts then! :funk: Really glad I did it now :funk:

You got H7R`s right? you will need to adjust them upwards after fitting, a 6mm allen key is needed for the blue adjuster in this pic:

Headlight.jpg

You need to park on a level surface in front of a wall/garage door to align them... Ibiza headlights have an inclination of 1% - meaning the top of the beam should DROP at a rate of 1%.

Here is the calculation:

Beam.jpg

ben-ducky

Feb 25, 2008
Llanelli, S Wales

How did you find fitting them inside the unit? Also received my HIDs today and would like to do it this way but am worried that the fit will be so tight that might cause problems.
Found it a tight enough space to change a normal bulb let alone get all that in there without removing bumper/headlight :lol:.

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
Good job mate, looks like inside the lights is the way forward for slim ballasts then! :funk: Really glad I did it now :funk:

You got H7R`s right? you will need to adjust them upwards after fitting, a 6mm allen key is needed for the blue adjuster in this pic:

You need to park on a level surface in front of a wall/garage door to align them... Ibiza headlights have an inclination of 1% - meaning the top of the beam should DROP at a rate of 1%.

Here is the calculation:

Looks like it mate haha.. Good find aswel! What made you think about putting them inside the unit?
Yeah H7R's.. nice and bright and dont blind other drivers :D

Hmm.. Ill have to find somewhere to adjust them, my driveway is on a slight slope :thumbd:

I highly recomment getting the slim ballasts though and doing what Neo and myself have done.. its so much tidier and not much more difficult to be honest!

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
How did you find fitting them inside the unit? Also received my HIDs today and would like to do it this way but am worried that the fit will be so tight that might cause problems.
Found it a tight enough space to change a normal bulb let alone get all that in there without removing bumper/headlight :lol:.

Not too bad, I unplugged the headlight adjusters then slid the ballast underneath the reflector part of the light (You'll see what I mean if you look at it). Its not difficult if you take your time, Ive got the 1.9tdi engine and I managed it so cant be too hard! :p

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
Heres a pic half way through the installation. Sorry for the rubbish quality.. was taken on my phone :rolleyes:

Osram Nightbreaker on the left - 6000k H7R HID on the right.

HIDs.jpg

ben-ducky

Feb 25, 2008
Llanelli, S Wales
I just fitted my HID's, and done so by fitting the ballasts inside the headlight unit. Literally took me about 15minutes. Couldn't get over how easy it was. In fact it was so easy it makes me wonder if I've done something wrong after seeing on here how people have gone to the hassle of removing bumpers to fit ballasts to crashbar etc :confused:.

Aimez

I have fitted mine today in the same way too! Need new light covers as mine have holes in from my old HIDs.
Ben-ducky you bought slim ones yeh? I have older one sin before and it was a right painful process fitting them in somewhere! People tookt eh bumper off to make it easier.

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
Looks like it mate haha.. Good find aswel! What made you think about putting them inside the unit?

I did some research into getting factory xenons (waaaay too expensive in the end), and on them the ballast is built in to the bottom of the light - and I thought... I wonder :think:

Glad everyone seems to be finding it easy to do though, you too aimez, nice one.
The covers are`nt expensive from the dealers, or maybe a scrappy.

Aimez

Well done for thinking of the idea I told you it was a first and you would start a trend!
Light covers £6 from sere motors. I will get some eventually just taped them up with black tape for now. Got prices from David at Sere for more exciting things first!
Want some LED sidelights too but waited nearly 2 weeks for HIDs 4 u to get them in stock and gave up waiting as my old ballast seem to have completely failed. Too dangerous to drive home like that even if it is only 5 mins!

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
Cheers!
Yeah that`s not a bad price for the covers.
Sidelights eh? what colour hid`s do you have? if you look further up the thread I posted a link for some that are about 6000k, Tried them myself.

I`m still waiting on some warm white sidelights as I have 5000k hids.

ben-ducky

Feb 25, 2008
Llanelli, S Wales
I have fitted mine today in the same way too! Need new light covers as mine have holes in from my old HIDs.
Ben-ducky you bought slim ones yeh? I have older one sin before and it was a right painful process fitting them in somewhere! People tookt eh bumper off to make it easier.

Yeah i bought the slim ones. Just been using them now for the first time at night.
Amazing difference....well worth every penny. Don't know why I didn't do it sooner now.

Aimez

Cheers!
Yeah that`s not a bad price for the covers.
Sidelights eh? what colour hid`s do you have? if you look further up the thread I posted a link for some that are about 6000k, Tried them myself.

I`m still waiting on some warm white sidelights as I have 5000k hids.

I have never bought them as don't fancy destroying my hand if they keep blowing and they are not exactly cheap. Want some that someone can say they have had in use for a year at least!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members