Platinum Grey Leon FR TDI Hybrid - The End!

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
spending money again .,.,,.,.

as for that DJ orange crush - great product , although a little hard to see where your applying it against red paint lol

or at least it was hard on sunday , with the sun shining

i put some puctures in my RR of my ameature attempt of polishing

cheers for the recomendation , thinks il invest in the big pot when ive finished that sample pot

cheers

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
spending money again .,.,,.,.

as for that DJ orange crush - great product , although a little hard to see where your applying it against red paint lol

or at least it was hard on sunday , with the sun shining

i put some puctures in my RR of my ameature attempt of polishing

cheers for the recomendation , thinks il invest in the big pot when ive finished that sample pot

cheers
Nope the above shouldnt cost me a bean as its part of the delelopment process I been doing with Kenny@AmD.

Dodo waxes are very good. I actually got the recommendation in persion from PJ @ Dodo during a detailing seminar.

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
No idea, havent spoken to Kenny. I am just leaving it in his hands, he has the car for a week and he will be driving it to and from work some days to get a good feel as to what its doing.

Fair enough. Gives him plenty of time to tweak everything I guess.. can't just generic map with your mods!

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Took the car out for a gentle drive so I could get some fresh air. Really am happy with the current setup even at low speeds. I zipped the car round a roundabout and it was just planted with minimal body roll, diff pulling me round and ample of composure. This got me thinking that I need to spend more time enjoying the car this summer than tinkering. I would like peoples thoughts on this - time to stop for a while?

I still have a to do list.

1) hopefully what will be the final map on the car. Booked in for mid May.
2) scrub out the falkens and get two toyo t1rs for the front. At same time get an asymmetric tyre for my spare.
3) gauges
4) oil cooler
5) new rear pads - ds2500s
6) new washer tank installed
7) plum in s3 vents

and when money allows watermeth.

Progress Update
-----

Not updated the thread for a while so thought I'd better do so. Just come back last week from a two week holiday in Thailand a little disinterested in the car to be quite frank. It was quite amusing as the "in" thing in Thailand is plastic Brembo casing to go over OEM calipers. On a lot of cars you see Toyota/Honda's with tiny discs and massive plastic Brembo calipers. lol.

Today I took the car out for a quick blast to clear out the spider webs from the exhaust testing out Navigon SatNav on the iPhone. I was going to wash it as its filthy but not got the energy so will probably do it one night this week and possibly give her a wax.

The latest map which again is not the final map is very progressive in its power delivery. Its extremely strong on the final 3rd of the rev range however punch lower down is minimal compared to before. There is also a lot more smoke lower down also. The great thing is it picks up speed extremely quickly and the engine judder has been resolved in the high gears 5th and 6th. When it goes back in Kenny will sort out the low end punch and smoke levels. This should hopefully be the last map for a while (famous last words).

Other goings on:
- 5.5 ltr tank has been installed so if I decide to go watermeth the car can accommodate it.
- I have decided that I am going to a Newsouth column pod for the gauges to keep an OEM type feel to the car. I just don't like the idea of gauges blocking my view of the road.
- I have an R32 steering wheel coming in a couple of weeks from Rams (ukmkivs) in return for detailing his black golf, which I am looking forward to.
- Got to speak with slick to come round one Saturday and plum in the S3 vents. Might also sort out an iPod connection for the Becker unit too.
- Asymmetric Falken 912 is coming for the spare LCR wheel start of July so that will mean I got a proper spare wheel now to fit over the ATEs in the event of a puncture.

Thats all I got planned for the moment. :)

crying_boy

Jan 8, 2006
Portugal
Progress Update
-----

Not updated the thread for a while so thought I'd better do so. Just come back last week from a two week holiday in Thailand a little disinterested in the car to be quite frank. It was quite amusing as the "in" thing in Thailand is plastic Brembo casing to go over OEM calipers. On a lot of cars you see Toyota/Honda's with tiny discs and massive plastic Brembo calipers. lol.

Today I took the car out for a quick blast to clear out the spider webs from the exhaust testing out Navigon SatNav on the iPhone. I was going to wash it as its filthy but not got the energy so will probably do it one night this week and possibly give her a wax.

The latest map which again is not the final map is very progressive in its power delivery. Its extremely strong on the final 3rd of the rev range however punch lower down is minimal compared to before. There is also a lot more smoke lower down also. The great thing is it picks up speed extremely quickly and the engine judder has been resolved in the high gears 5th and 6th. When it goes back in Kenny will sort out the low end punch and smoke levels. This should hopefully be the last map for a while (famous last words).

Other goings on:
- 5.5 ltr tank has been installed so if I decide to go watermeth the car can accommodate it.
- I have decided that I am going to a Newsouth column pod for the gauges to keep an OEM type feel to the car. I just don't like the idea of gauges blocking my view of the road.
- I have an R32 steering wheel coming in a couple of weeks from Rams (ukmkivs) in return for detailing his black golf, which I am looking forward to.
- Got to speak with slick to come round one Saturday and plum in the S3 vents. Might also sort out an iPod connection for the Becker unit too.
- Asymmetric Falken 912 is coming for the spare LCR wheel start of July so that will mean I got a proper spare wheel now to fit over the ATEs in the event of a puncture.

Thats all I got planned for the moment. :)

modifications always spectacular.
as always.
[B)]

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Bird Poo - dont leave it to dwell on the car!

The car was used as target practise today. When I came home, I saw 6 direct hits on the roof and rear bumper! I decided it was time to wash the car anyway so started the normal was routine and all the bird poo came off easily enough with me smugly thinking "great the layers of protection I put on did its job". To my horror the bird poo on the bumper marked the lacquer! Luckily after 4 hits of Dodo Need for Speed and some Megs Swirl X (didnt want to get the machine out) by hand got rid of it.

So lesson for everyone, it only takes a short period of time for the acidic bird poo to do damage to your cars EVEN with a couple of layers Sealants and Waxes.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Map/Performance tweaking update
-----

This week:I have had to use the car a lot more than usual this week, clocking up a good 400 miles. Overall the car has been good and I hit a good average of 58mpg according to the car trip computer. The amount of bug splats on the windscreen was quite amusing! The 5.5 Litre tank came in handy as I have used roughly ¼ of the screen wash and still got a good 4litrs left.

During my adventures I especially have noticed is that the smoke levels were pretty bad. The car would smoke worse when poodling around town especially after a long hot run. Lag in the lower gears up to 2.5k was pretty bad also and got worse as the sun was at its hottest. This was quite annoying and embarrassing in town areas! I should have etched into the sooted boot "car map in development" :lol:

Today I took a look under the bonnet today and noticed I had a big boost leak where the EGR and H&S pipework joined together. I also found the lower drivers side of the FMIC weeping also. There isn't much I can do about these apart from buy new seals again. With this in mind I cleaned everything up with brake cleaner and WD40 and tighten all the clips as tight as they would go. Hopefully this should reduce the weeping especially around the EGR area.

My Thoughts: Maybe there is too much boost/flow going through the system so its going to weep with the PD150 intercooler until I get another FMIC without those crappy plastic fixing points. Maybe I should get H&S to cut off the plastic parts and weld on the intercooler proper pipe fixing so I can join with silicone.

I decided to go and see Kenny@AmD and he re-assured me that nearly all the diesels he works on including hybrids all suffer from this problem so not to worry too much about it.

We did some logging today to see what the car is doing. Duty cycle was still a tad high so decided to start tweaking the actuator as the arm was too short and probably causing the grey smoke issues when poodling around. Adjusted the nut 3 turns to lengthen the arm. On the test drive the smoke levels were dramatically improved and the car was much more responsive/smoother lower down too. We done a couple speed runs and the car felt very strong and quick. In fact we smashed the speed a well mapped 1.8T circa 230BHP does on the run.

Now the actuator is properly adjusted it’s just the mapping left to get smoke further down and increase power. I just have to drive the car for a good couple of weeks to see how the smoke levels are with the current map. I am feeling quite positive overall. Car is now heading in the right direction and I can feel that I should have a lovely well rounded map just round the corner waiting for me.

An alarming note is that the metal bracket made by H&S to keep the pipework in place snapped! It was alarming for the first 2 minutes but giving it more thought its better because the pipework was too rigid. Now the bracket is broken part of the pipework can move so shouldn’t pull the pipework out of the plastic fixings when giving the car beans. I will be going back to H&S to talk it through with them and get the bracket smooth off the pipework.

Last edited:

dholdi

Jul 3, 2008
Preston
So lesson for everyone, it only takes a short period of time for the acidic bird poo to do damage to your cars EVEN with a couple of layers Sealants and Waxes.

Tell me about it, I work in Blackpoo and I'm sure their gulls know I'm a Northender :D
Seriously Maz is spot on - you need to get it washed off asap - I now carry a spray bottle for just this purpose and can often be seen leaving clouds of smoke in the general direction of the nearest carwash.

Last edited:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Map/Performance tweaking update
-----

This week:I have had to use the car a lot more than usual this week, clocking up a good 400 miles. Overall the car has been good and I hit a good average of 58mpg according to the car trip computer. The amount of bug splats on the windscreen was quite amusing! The 5.5 Litre tank came in handy as I have used roughly ¼ of the screen wash and still got a good 4litrs left.

During my adventures I especially have noticed is that the smoke levels were pretty bad. The car would smoke worse when poodling around town especially after a long hot run. Lag in the lower gears up to 2.5k was pretty bad also and got worse as the sun was at its hottest. This was quite annoying and embarrassing in town areas! I should have etched into the sooted boot "car map in development" :lol:

Today I took a look under the bonnet today and noticed I had a big boost leak where the EGR and H&S pipework joined together. I also found the lower drivers side of the FMIC weeping also. There isn't much I can do about these apart from buy new seals again. With this in mind I cleaned everything up with brake cleaner and WD40 and tighten all the clips as tight as they would go. Hopefully this should reduce the weeping especially around the EGR area.

My Thoughts: Maybe there is too much boost/flow going through the system so its going to weep with the PD150 intercooler until I get another FMIC without those crappy plastic fixing points. Maybe I should get H&S to cut off the plastic parts and weld on the intercooler proper pipe fixing so I can join with silicone.

I decided to go and see Kenny@AmD and he re-assured me that nearly all the diesels he works on including hybrids all suffer from this problem so not to worry too much about it.

We did some logging today to see what the car is doing. Duty cycle was still a tad high so decided to start tweaking the actuator as the arm was too short and probably causing the grey smoke issues when poodling around. Adjusted the nut 3 turns to lengthen the arm. On the test drive the smoke levels were dramatically improved and the car was much more responsive/smoother lower down too. We done a couple speed runs and the car felt very strong and quick. In fact we smashed the speed a well mapped 1.8T circa 230BHP does on the run.

Now the actuator is properly adjusted it’s just the mapping left to get smoke further down and increase power. I just have to drive the car for a good couple of weeks to see how the smoke levels are with the current map. I am feeling quite positive overall. Car is now heading in the right direction and I can feel that I should have a lovely well rounded map just round the corner waiting for me.

An alarming note is that the metal bracket made by H&S to keep the pipework in place snapped! It was alarming for the first 2 minutes but giving it more thought its better because the pipework was too rigid. Now the bracket is broken part of the pipework can move so shouldn’t pull the pipework out of the plastic fixings when giving the car beans. I will be going back to H&S to talk it through with them and get the bracket smooth off the pipework.
Sunday Blast: took the car out on an aggressive blast around the country side. I really wanted to get the car warmed up and see what the smoke levels were like in the hot weather. Car never was awesome and the smoke levels were minimal compared to the car of old. I really cant wait to get a powerful map put on now, I can almost see the finish line. Falkens definitely need to go as they just don't provide enough grip lower down the rev range and when hitting the tigher bends. I also don't have much confidence in the strength of the sidewalls, the toyo's are far superior.

Some more good news is that the boost leak in the EGR area looks to be sorted. Will keep an eye on it but if it occurs again I may go against what I said and get EGR delete pipe. Added benefit of this also is that I can plumb the boost gauge in easily. I think thats the only way to deal with this sort of problem and not rely on the OEM seals.

Some other happenings is that I am getting a flip key as the circuit board has gone on the current.

Last edited:

brad1

Glad to hear the car is going well. In my opinion, get a delete pipe, no boost leak ;) I know you was wary of what they call a run away, but I can't see that happening to be honest.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
nice one maz

ive lost all enthusiasm with mine at the moment , am just in the middle of swapping the door carrier parts across to the new one
Dont lose faith mate. Very good feeling when things do come together.

Glad to hear the car is going well. In my opinion, get a delete pipe, no boost leak ;) I know you was wary of what they call a run away, but I can't see that happening to be honest.
You say that but someone just had a runaway with a GT2260VK. :lol:

R44MS K

Jul 11, 2010
Maz.. Car is looking good!!
Kenny@AmD told me about the actuator adjustment! smoke levels are noticably down - thats positive!
turned mine up a few turns but it needs more fuel!

R32 steering wheel should be coming shortly for you fella, used my discount quota but should be a matter of weeks until its here!

My car needs your detailing touch asap!! will hopefully getting the dents removed this week

Rams

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Maz.. Car is looking good!!
Kenny@AmD told me about the actuator adjustment! smoke levels are noticably down - thats positive!
turned mine up a few turns but it needs more fuel!

R32 steering wheel should be coming shortly for you fella, used my discount quota but should be a matter of weeks until its here!

My car needs your detailing touch asap!! will hopefully getting the dents removed this week

Rams
Cheers Rams!

Yea its made a massive difference overall. It now gives him a good base to sort out a powerful map for it!

Thats cool about R32 wheels, look forward to it. Is he definately doing it this week, soon as thats done we can get cracking.

:)