Platinum Grey Leon FR TDI Hybrid - The End!

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Maz, I booked dents for saturday but missus has decided she wants to go thorpe park!! she asked me why I cant make it, I told her... she was not amused! Not sure if I can do the dents - I will need to ring and see if hes free one day in the week!

DaveB got back to me, I emailed you the reply yesterday...
I just contacted the guy who made the kit, hopefully he will answer soonish.

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
Here's a couple of pic's the new calipers, started out looking
10fcbb90.jpg

And finished :D
96125a4e.jpg

Last edited:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Map/Performance tweaking update
-----

This week:I have had to use the car a lot more than usual this week, clocking up a good 400 miles. Overall the car has been good and I hit a good average of 58mpg according to the car trip computer. The amount of bug splats on the windscreen was quite amusing! The 5.5 Litre tank came in handy as I have used roughly ¼ of the screen wash and still got a good 4litrs left.

During my adventures I especially have noticed is that the smoke levels were pretty bad. The car would smoke worse when poodling around town especially after a long hot run. Lag in the lower gears up to 2.5k was pretty bad also and got worse as the sun was at its hottest. This was quite annoying and embarrassing in town areas! I should have etched into the sooted boot "car map in development" :lol:

Today I took a look under the bonnet today and noticed I had a big boost leak where the EGR and H&S pipework joined together. I also found the lower drivers side of the FMIC weeping also. There isn't much I can do about these apart from buy new seals again. With this in mind I cleaned everything up with brake cleaner and WD40 and tighten all the clips as tight as they would go. Hopefully this should reduce the weeping especially around the EGR area.

My Thoughts: Maybe there is too much boost/flow going through the system so its going to weep with the PD150 intercooler until I get another FMIC without those crappy plastic fixing points. Maybe I should get H&S to cut off the plastic parts and weld on the intercooler proper pipe fixing so I can join with silicone.

I decided to go and see Kenny@AmD and he re-assured me that nearly all the diesels he works on including hybrids all suffer from this problem so not to worry too much about it.

We did some logging today to see what the car is doing. Duty cycle was still a tad high so decided to start tweaking the actuator as the arm was too short and probably causing the grey smoke issues when poodling around. Adjusted the nut 3 turns to lengthen the arm. On the test drive the smoke levels were dramatically improved and the car was much more responsive/smoother lower down too. We done a couple speed runs and the car felt very strong and quick. In fact we smashed the speed a well mapped 1.8T circa 230BHP does on the run.

Now the actuator is properly adjusted it’s just the mapping left to get smoke further down and increase power. I just have to drive the car for a good couple of weeks to see how the smoke levels are with the current map. I am feeling quite positive overall. Car is now heading in the right direction and I can feel that I should have a lovely well rounded map just round the corner waiting for me.

An alarming note is that the metal bracket made by H&S to keep the pipework in place snapped! It was alarming for the first 2 minutes but giving it more thought its better because the pipework was too rigid. Now the bracket is broken part of the pipework can move so shouldn’t pull the pipework out of the plastic fixings when giving the car beans. I will be going back to H&S to talk it through with them and get the bracket smooth off the pipework.

29/07/2010 - AmD Remap Final Remap
-----

Went to AmD today to get the final remap for the car sorted finally!

We did some logging first on the car to see what the duty cycle was doing. Positive results was that it only peaked at 86% in 4th gear under heavy load so we knew that the current actuator length and map was almost there. We sat the car on the dyno and stuck on the tweaked map on. Kenny@AmD said the map was the "more power, more tidy map". The whole map was in essence a reviewed, tweaked, more power lower down the rev range and increase the torque so it held on as long as possible map. Car pulled in some impressive figures. First run was 251BHP, second and third run was 240BHP.

We took the lowest figure as the benchmark. 2-3 hours later with plenty of road tests, tweaks to map to stop overboosting and calm down smoke in certain areas and we had the end result. After 8 dyno runs we averaged (cant remember exact figures) 243BHP and a big wad of torque. The graph looked excellent and was pleased me the most was the way the torque held on. On the road we managed to get another 3-4mph on my best ever speed run.

On the road the map is smooth and quite aggressive when you put you foot down. You really do have to hold onto the wheel as there is plenty of torque for the diff and the driver to manage. On my favorite A and B roads the car gave me the initial feeling I first got with the turbo...the gut wrenching feeling. I am sure I will get used to it but for now at least I can sleep better knowing the map is done....until my next big mod. ;)

Review of To Do List [priority order]
-----
1) Final Remap - complete
2) new 5.5ltr washer tank - Complete
3) R32 Wheel - In progress - should be with me soon
4) Flip Key - in progress - should be with me soon
5) Rear big brake upgrade in progress - waiting on parts
6) Scrub out the falkens and get two toyo t1rs for the front. - in progress
7) Get an asymmetric tyre for my spare. - To Do
8) gauges - To Do
9) oil cooler - To Do
10) plum in s3 vents - To Do
11) New interior seats - [if Mrs lets me]

Upcoming Details
-----
1) VW Passat Estate 01/08/2010
2) Leon TDI - 14/08/2010 - my car needing a quick spruce up.
3) Audi RS4 on 21/08/2010
4) Golf PD250 - Soon as Rams sorts out his dings!
5) DK's Leon Cupra R - September

Fiinally I debadged the Leon letters on the boot so just the red TDI badge. Quite like the look as the rear end looks cleaner and "fatter". :)

rscott4563

Cant remember exact figure as I was looking at plenty of graphs today. I think around 360-370 but holds quote well.

Didn't get any print outs - I didn't think to as I got so many over the months.

Ah you know what they say, if there aren't any printouts then it never really happened! :p

Seriously though, with a changed map and changed figures surely a dyno plot is a must to be able to see what exactly is happening. Peak figures are all nice but it's the curve that actually matters and the space under the curve that's all important.

What sort of dyno do AMD have and will you be taking it to an independent dyno to confirm the figures at some point?

Got to say though if the figures are accurate and can be replicated on an independent dyno (a Dyno Dynamics one at that) then that is definitely one hell of a derv you've got there! :thumbup:

Ryan

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Ah you know what they say, if there aren't any printouts then it never really happened! :p

Seriously though, with a changed map and changed figures surely a dyno plot is a must to be able to see what exactly is happening. Peak figures are all nice but it's the curve that actually matters and the space under the curve that's all important.

What sort of dyno do AMD have and will you be taking it to an independent dyno to confirm the figures at some point?

Got to say though if the figures are accurate and can be replicated on an independent dyno (a Dyno Dynamics one at that) then that is definitely one hell of a derv you've got there! :thumbup:

Ryan
Yes I completely agree. Like I said I didnt get a print out and one of the main reasons is that I have been on AmDs rollers more times than I can remember so didnt see much point in posting another AmD graph up to "prove" figures and curves etc...I am not number chasing at the end of the day I just gave numbers so its tangable to people.

I will get on other rollers in future I am sure. At the end of the day to get serious power you need

1) bigger injectors
2) bigger turbo
3) all the associated bits required to get bigger turbo working correctly like map sensors, deleted MAF, new manifolds, turbo intakes etc.. etc...

Long way down the road yet that is.

Feb 22, 2009
South Wales
I will get on other rollers in future I am sure. At the end of the day to get serious power you need

1) bigger injectors
2) bigger turbo
3) all the associated bits required to get bigger turbo working correctly like map sensors, deleted MAF, new manifolds, turbo intakes etc.. etc...

Long way down the road yet that is.

Your thinking about it then - What is seriuos power from our TDIs?

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Your thinking about it then - What is seriuos power from our TDIs?
I been thinking about it for past year but I said to myself until something happens to the current turbo/engine I wont be spending 2-3k.

I have a list of the parts I would need to do the upgrade and where to source them from. This process started as Slick is going for serious power in the future so we started a plan already.

Serious power for our cars is a genuine 260-300bhp. You can only really achieve this level of power with a big turbo like a 2260vk, Bosio or Firad nozzles, rosten rods, ported head, tubular manifold, plenum intake and a lot of time mapping.

dav3

devilishd4ve xbox tag
Mar 29, 2007
Essex
Its taken time mate but glad you've finally got there with the map. RR days wont be the same now if your new map has reduced the soot clouds:cartman:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Passenger Mirror + Flip Key
-----

I got an early birthday presents from my good friends Rams and Staszek20vt. Rams gave me a flip key with a blank blade so that will be cut soon and Rams will program the key. Stan got me this beauty:

passengermirror.jpg

and its not for the drivers side ;) Big thank you to both!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.