Platinum Grey Leon FR TDI Hybrid - The End!

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
How about the tar remover stuff then snow foam and a clay
I know that I can rectify the damage depending on how deep the scratches are on my Mrs car but the point is that they damaged the car by their negligence. If there is damage and I cant correct then it will have to be resprayed. This will come out of their time and money not mine. I am going to speak to another detailer with vastly more experience/skill than me to get their opinion.

poliq

four-by-four fan
Aug 4, 2010
Røros, NO
Try not to waste too much time and energy on this!
Let them handle it! -But it still sucks, I know!

Is most of the cars covered I guess then?
Im hoping to hear from insurance the upcoming week.

Maybe both of us get our cars resprayed?

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Cheers for the advise guys. I am going to look into investing in some car covers for both but have some concerns. What i dont like about car covers is that it almost makes it a target for kids. I dont think the cars need a respray, both can be corrected for sure. In fact my car is not that bad as a gave it a good clean today.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
R32 Steering Wheel

As per my previous post the wheel has been fitted. I am going to go to town on the airbag portion of the steering wheel to bring the natural colour of the plastic up to match steering wheel better.

r32Wheel1.jpg

r32Wheel2.jpg

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Bad News #2

Right today I decided to see what sort of damage was on my car. I just couldnt leave the car in the state it was knowing what happened to the Ibiza.

Before

As you can see from these pictures the car is heavily soiled. It may not look too bad to some people but its bonded on. I wouldnt mind if this was natural dirt I picked up whilst driving but seeing as its crap that dropped onto the car and stuck on really got my blood pressure raised. People who know me and seen the car know that the is normally glass smooth.

DSCF3128.jpg

DSCF3129.jpg

DSCF3130.jpg

DSCF3131.jpg

DSCF3132.jpg

DSCF3133.jpg

DSCF3134.jpg

Process

1) Snow Foam and leave for 5 minutes
2) Pressure washer off thoroughly blasting off any stuck on dirt
3) Snow foam and leave for 10 minutes
4) Pressure was again
5) Clean wheels
6) Cleaned arches
7) Snow Foam
8) Carefully wash the car using two bucket method
9) Dry with superplush towel

Result

DSCF3139.jpg

Conclusion

The paint surface is much cleaner and all the surface dirt has no gone. I couldn't see any visible scratches or marring but I have a feeling I will know tonight when I inspect under the street light.

Looking closely at the paint and feeling it, it doesn't look clean and feels like sand paper. Some areas still have some marks i.e. roof and bonnet. The car will definitely needs claying with an aggressive clay bar and thus the paint will need to be corrected/cleansed. I will not be doing this as I don't feel that I should be doing it seeing as someone else was to blame for this.

I have the builder coming to see me this week and I will present to him the quotations I got for both cars to be corrected. I wont accept anything else. My neighbour (lovely lady) has reassured me that it will be sorted and if the building company doesn't accept liability she will pay for the details.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
Hi Maz,

Sorry to hear about the fallout from next door's building works having ended up on your family's cars. It think the advice that has been given is spot on; take your time, don't rush into anything and get a professionals opinion on methods of correction. Is it cement dust that has cured with moisture in the air?

The steering wheel looks very nice. Does it feel as chunky as it looks? I remember upgrading from the standard steering wheel up to the LCR 225-edition and that had been a noticeable change.

Has the exhaust bedded in nicely? Is the pipe work in the engine bay causing any further issues or has it stayed together, following the last repairs?

Car looks great as always Jon! I hope the recent bad news is quickly forgotten about.

James.

Edit: Sorry Maz, I must have been typing whilst you posted your last entry.

Last edited:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Hi Jon,

Sorry to hear about the fallout from next door's building works having ended up on your family's cars. It think the advice that has been given is spot on; take your time, don't rush into anything and get a professionals opinion on methods of correction. Is it cement dust that has cured with moisture in the air?

The steering wheel looks very nice. Does it feel as chunky as it looks? I remember upgrading from the standard steering wheel up to the LCR 225-edition and that had been a noticeable change.

Has the exhaust bedded in nicely? Is the pipe work in the engine bay causing any further issues or has it stayed together, following the last repairs?

Car looks great as always Jon! I hope the recent bad news is quickly forgotten about.

James.

Edit: Sorry Jon, I must have been typing whilst you posted your last entry.
Hi James,

Cheers for the comments and support. Your exactly right basically its dust, specs of cement and whatever else has layed on the roof of next doors porch splatter on the car. As its been raining this week and lots of moisture in the air its coated and bonded to the cars pretty well.

It is pretty chunky, might be slightly chunkier than the LCR 225 wheel. Feels great when driving and I haven't had any comfort issues with it. I will see what its like when having a spirited drive.

As for the exhaust, its bedded in nicely. It does sound a tad loud when flooring it. Some people love the sound, others think its quite loud and I think its nice but could be a tad quieter. When i get the 3" DP made I will get another small box put in.

As for the pipework. Its all working great! Problems I currently have is that where the seals are on the intercooler there it is weeping. I also noticed I still have a slightly leak where the EGR is but I think that is easily resolved with a new Jubilee clip and a better sized bit of silicone. I will try get that done this week. batemanfr is sending me new intercooler seals that definitely stop the weeping so just waiting on those to come through (really nice of him to do that for me I must say).

Cheers,
Maz

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Detailer

Right had a long hard think and I have chosen the detailer to undertake the work on both cars. Rob @ Gleammachine will be doing the work. Anyone who is on Detailing World will probably have seen his work and its quality. I will be detailing both the cars with him which should be quite cool.

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
Detailer

Right had a long hard think and I have chosen the detailer to undertake the work on both cars. Rob @ Gleammachine will be doing the work. Anyone who is on Detailing World will probably have seen his work and its quality. I will be detailing both the cars with him which should be quite cool.

That will be quite fun! You will learn a lot too, I have done a few tuition details with Dave KG and Caledonia from DW and its really good fun!
Hopefully the cars will looking as good as ever soon!
Alex

4937Liam

Jan 12, 2010
Lakenheath, Suffolk.
Any long term paint damage to this beauty would be a sin!
Keep us posted on the pro detail - It will be loads of fun as mentioned.

R32 wheel looks spot on - i really like how 'chunky' it looks I dont see this as a downside at all, suits the interior perfectly and its 'different' which is always good to see.:yes:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Leon and Ibiza Paint Enhancement & Paint Correction - 8th Oct to 10th Oct - Joint detail with Gleammachine

Very please to say that the cars is booked in with Rob @ Gleammachine. As stated I will be detailing both cars with Rob so looks to be a very enjoyable and exhausting 3 days. I am looking to soak up as much information as possible from him in my question to become an ever better detailer. To be honest my car should be a breaze and more going OCD on it. Hopefully with Robs myriad of lights he can spot any RDS that I cant spot.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.