Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

notabenem

Aug 26, 2016
I have the 6P0 Navigation System (not the PLUS, my does not have a HDD) with 0635 maps (bought 06/2016).

Today I tried wiping the card (made a complete back-up first) and copied the contents of the '0730_MP161-1231a.xEUR1' package on it.

Long story short, it did not work. However. I made a couple of experiments:
1. I copied a new version of the maps/00/nds/ROOT.NDS to the original SD card with the original content on it. It was accepted
2. I also copied a new version of the maps/00/nds/PRODUCT/PRODUCT.NDS to the original SD card with the original content on it. It was still accepted
3. I tried to copy a newer version of any file under maps/00/nds/PRODUCT/E**/ to the card. At this moment it was not accepted. It's interesting to note that the card was refused in under 1-2 seconds. This is not enough to read the contents of the files in a single directory (given that the smallest one, E13, is still around 200MB).

My conclusions:
1. While the SD card itself is somehow protected, the contents does not matter. It's more of a 'cloning' protection, than upgrade protection. The reason that those who have 'MapCare' can overwrite the contents of the SD card proves this.

2. The navigation itself must store certain attributes of the SD Card, or the files (or both) that allows it to accept or refuse the SD CARD as a whole or the content on it

3. Not all files are checked for eligibility on the SD card.

4. The quick refusal of the SD card IMHO rules out any checksum (MD5/SHA) based protections, as those would take ages to read (practically the whole SD would need to be read before it could be approved/rejected)

TODO: Rule out file modification date based protection:
>> try changing one file's attributes (create/modify dates), as well as size (add an extra byte to it, yet keeping the dates in tact) and see if it gets accepted or not.

notabenem

Aug 26, 2016
BTW: if anyone here has a MAPCARE option purchased, please post the complete file list of the SD card as an attachment (e.g. do a 'dir /s /b /a > sdcard_contents.txt' in the root of the sdcard)
That would help comparing SD card with and without mapcare option (if there's any different at all)

EddieP

Nov 8, 2016
Coatbridge
Thanks for the info dude.

I have 2 versions downloaded that do not work on my car but it would be good to compare what code is different.

still need to get a hold of the original files that came on my card then i can look at that code and get it working on my car

notabenem

Aug 26, 2016
TODO results:
1. changing the file create date does have no effect (POI.NDS)
2. changing the file's size by padding it has no effect (POI.NDS)
3. changing a single byte inside a given file has no effect, it is still accepted (even though I imagine it could create problems later)
4. replacing the file with a later version causes the DB not to be accepted.
5. extra files in the directory structure has no effect on the acceptance. e.g. copy contents from the newer version to maps/00/cfg/map_cfg (previously this folder was empty in version 0635) has no effect on the acceptance of the DB
6. replacing maps/EEC/PRODUCT.NDS with the newer version has no effect...

Conclusion so far:
Files are checked for integrity based on their partial contents/consistency with the rest of the DB

notabenem

Aug 26, 2016
Warning, geek stuff here.

Finally I am able to decode and read (but not change) the contents of the NDS files using a small JAVA app.
For future reference, those files are following the Navigation Data Standard (NDS) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navigation_Data_Standard. They are in fact special SQLITE3 database files, that can only be manipulated using a $4000 proprietary library called ZIPVFS: http://www.sqlite.org/zipvfs/doc/trunk/www/index.wiki

UPDATE: I could convert only certain NDS files to a classical SQLITE DB (e.g. ROOT.NDS, PRODUCT.NDS). Others (POI.NDS, BMD.NDS, basically anything under EXX/*.) i couldn't. Those are encrypted (hence the name "E"?). The key, however, it seems is inside PRODUCT.NDS

Last edited:

EddieP

Nov 8, 2016
Coatbridge
I will have a look tonight or over the weekend see if i can convert any of the files i have

Still hoping someone has the v3 files online that i can download to atleast try get my card working again

Dont suppose anyone could PM CyberGene for me?
Since i cant pm anyone till ive made enough posts.....

Last edited:

notabenem

Aug 26, 2016
Some of my findings after taking a look into the data (0730_MP161-1231a.xEUR1):
  1. Don't really expect to see roads finished during the past year (and half?)
    • For the 0735 map release, the underlying map data are from 10/2015.
    • Map data were compiled 2016-07-19 by HERE.maps (or navigation.com)
    • to get the compiled map data published by the car manufacturers took another 4 months.
    • honestly, such a slow update cycle doomes built-in navigations and those (like SYGIC and many others) who don't have their own map sources and who need to purchase maps and compile/transform into their own formats. There's no way they can keep the pace with Waze/Google maps.
  2. DataModel, version, and dataScript are identical to 0635 release.
  3. it seems also the cipherKeyData are identical - whatever is its purpose (chances are this is used to decrypt some data in files in the EXX folders)

Given the [age-]old map sources, I am not even sure i am willing to update. It won't make any change for me - unless there is some extra eye-candy or or higher comfort in the SW itself.

Last edited:

EddieP

Nov 8, 2016
Coatbridge
i found a program that has allowed me to make changed to the database files and commit the changes though it is almost impossible to test without getting someones original data making the changes then uploading the changed data back

i may just fork out the cash for a new SD card for my one then test it after making a couple of backups this time

SLUN1

Dec 5, 2016
Hi,

a friend of mine accidentally deleted his V4 Europe AT SD Card, but I only could supply him V6 Data (witch don't work), so could anyone of you be so kind to Share the V4 Card Data ?

PartNumber1="8V0919866B "
PartNumber2="5G0919866F "
PartNumber3="5E0051236C "
PartNumber4="5F0919866F "
PartNumber="8V0919866B "
ApplicationSoftwareVersionNumber="0036"
SystemName=" ECE 2014 "

Cup Racing 280

Jan 12, 2017
Sat-Nav Update

Hello, I am new to this forum and it appears that nobody had been lucky with the map updates.

I purchased my Cupra 280 in December 2016 and it came with V1 navigation, so knew it needed an update. I have tried every step mentioned in this forum to no avail. After spending the last month messing about moving files around I finally gave up and decided to contact my UK dealer. They did say i'd have to pay for a new SD card if I wanted the updated maps. I challenged them on this and said I wasn't happy as I've had the car for 3 weeks, so it was negotiated down to a 50/50 which I was happy with.

Today, I went into my local dealer to collect my SD card and as soon as I picked it up I knew it was wrong. They had ordered me V9 and in their own 66 plate Cupra 280 they had V4 which was even more confusing. On the back of the box it had Accessories Part Number 5F00 and my system is the 6PO version. The mastertech said he'd come and fit it and when it didn't load, he realised it wasn't that simple. He then got several cards ranging from V3 - V7, again to no avail. He then got the V4 from the 66 plate Cupra which loaded, then stopped working. We decided to put my old one back in which then didn't work either! The mastertech had to take the car in and reset my ECU to get the original card to work. He did try this with the V4, but it wouldn't load.

After 2 hours of sitting around he came back to me and said he needs to get an Action Code from Seat UK to update the firmware which might make the V4 work. I did say that he must have the firmware update on a file at the garage, but apparently dealers have been updating peoples cars when the shouldn't, so now the update must come from Seat UK. I will post again when I have an update. I can't believe how difficult this is!! [:@][:@]

ganticus

May 5, 2014
Hi,

Apologies for the stupid question. Just used the SatNav for the first time on my Cupra Black. It only recognised the first 4 digits of the postcode on each occasion (not the full postcode) but worked OK with road names. I tried to look in the settings but could not find anything for why it didn't recognise full postcodes.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Tell

Staff member
Hello, I am new to this forum and it appears that nobody had been lucky with the map updates.

I purchased my Cupra 280 in December 2016 and it came with V1 navigation, so knew it needed an update. I have tried every step mentioned in this forum to no avail. After spending the last month messing about moving files around I finally gave up and decided to contact my UK dealer. They did say i'd have to pay for a new SD card if I wanted the updated maps. I challenged them on this and said I wasn't happy as I've had the car for 3 weeks, so it was negotiated down to a 50/50 which I was happy with.

Today, I went into my local dealer to collect my SD card and as soon as I picked it up I knew it was wrong. They had ordered me V9 and in their own 66 plate Cupra 280 they had V4 which was even more confusing. On the back of the box it had Accessories Part Number 5F00 and my system is the 6PO version. The mastertech said he'd come and fit it and when it didn't load, he realised it wasn't that simple. He then got several cards ranging from V3 - V7, again to no avail. He then got the V4 from the 66 plate Cupra which loaded, then stopped working. We decided to put my old one back in which then didn't work either! The mastertech had to take the car in and reset my ECU to get the original card to work. He did try this with the V4, but it wouldn't load.

After 2 hours of sitting around he came back to me and said he needs to get an Action Code from Seat UK to update the firmware which might make the V4 work. I did say that he must have the firmware update on a file at the garage, but apparently dealers have been updating peoples cars when the shouldn't, so now the update must come from Seat UK. I will post again when I have an update. I can't believe how difficult this is!! [:@][:@]

Thanks for all the information. I did stumble across something that covered the last bit of the login procedure which dealers have to follow. You can see how some dealers mess up people's units.

Tell

Staff member
Hi,

Apologies for the stupid question. Just used the SatNav for the first time on my Cupra Black. It only recognised the first 4 digits of the postcode on each occasion (not the full postcode) but worked OK with road names. I tried to look in the settings but could not find anything for why it didn't recognise full postcodes.

Thanks for any help you can give.

I try not to use the post code. You can hit the space bar and carry on with the postcode. Reality is it doesn't need the postcode, street number and street plus town will get you there and it knows whether the house is on the left or right. Town, street, number. Tossing in postcode gets problematic and it then asks you about junctions.... I loose my patience at that point. I know there is suppose to be a way to frig it.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.