2.0 tdi (BKD) Dual Mass Flywheel & Clutch

FR+TDI

Jul 8, 2007
Carmarthenshire, Wales.
Just taken the box out of my Altea 2.0 TDI & I'm pretty sure the DMF is phucked! It seems to have end float, ie, you can seperate the two parts slightly - I don't think this should be happening!! So, suggestions for the best place (price) to get a replacement.
Cheers.

Last edited:

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
I have a brand new DMF (sachs, better than the LUK ones) for the BKD engine retail is circa £400 for it but im open to offers :)

Will need a matching clutch.

oldtimer

Mar 3, 2008
Wales
One of these days people are going to realise you can only "mod" what is afterall a family car, to a certain degree, drive it like Jason Plato and expect it to keep going forever. The important bits are the bits you can't see, and they will always break if not uprated as well.

FR+TDI

Jul 8, 2007
Carmarthenshire, Wales.
One of these days people are going to realise you can only "mod" what is afterall a family car, to a certain degree, drive it like Jason Plato and expect it to keep going forever. The important bits are the bits you can't see, and they will always break if not uprated as well.

Erm, the car is totally standard.... It was my company car from new & I've just bought it off them with 91k miles. Can you clarify the 'mod' bit please? The car I refer to in my signature is my wifes LEON (hence my user name & avatar pic...), which gets driven like Miss Marple btw. The car with the gearbox & flywheel/clutch issues is an ALTEA, hence the posing in this section.

Last edited:

oldtimer

Mar 3, 2008
Wales
"Mod" = Modify.

Come on, all those "mods" and then drive like Miss Marple, what for?

BTW these problems with VAG cars dual mass flywheels have been known about for the best part of 25 years that I know of. Why have they never tried to resolve the problem? anyone any ideas.

chrispy

The DMF on my Special Edition had to be changed at 37k, owned from new and Pxd when fault diagnosed

FR+TDI

Jul 8, 2007
Carmarthenshire, Wales.
"Mod" = Modify.

BTW these problems with VAG cars dual mass flywheels have been known about for the best part of 25 years that I know of. Why have they never tried to resolve the problem? anyone any ideas.

Are you for real or just being a twat because you can? [:@] The Altea has not been modified - its was my company car and bog standard - the flywheel has died because its a crap idea.

The Leon is my wifes car, does 4k miles a year and is her commuter but nevertheless she likes a responsive & good handling car, yes, she does drive quickly but does not drive like a boy racer - she's a bit old for that! You assume an awful lot don't you oldtimer? You know what assumtions are though - the mother of all phuck ups! knob!

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
"Mod" = Modify.

What VW had a DMF 25 years ago???????

oldtimer

Mar 3, 2008
Wales
Both wrong, firstly VAG isn't just VW, and the vehicle I'm refering to was an Audi A4 bought by a friend in the mid eighty's, it had to go back and have a replacement flywheel, took him weeks, and that was with a brand new car.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Both wrong, firstly VAG isn't just VW, and the vehicle I'm refering to was an Audi A4 bought by a friend in the mid eighty's, it had to go back and have a replacement flywheel, took him weeks, and that was with a brand new car.

Yes, you're correct in a way. LUK developed Dual Mass Flywheel technology back in 1985. However...

I presume by "they" you mean VW (or VAG if you prefer). Well, LUK design and manufacture many clutch and DMF systems for VAG, and they've been redesigning and modifying the technology ever since its inception way back when, to the extent that the DMF you get today is nothing like the one that was first fitted in 1985. In fact, todays DMF is nothing like the ones fitted in 1995, and was modified again in 2000, and then again in 2005. So to say they've never tried to resolve the issue is not really correct.

Joec1

Feb 9, 2010
Wiltshire
sorry but i have to add a "lol" to this... made me chuckle.

but then i suppose back in the 1920's when the R8 first came out ... hahaha

FR+TDI

Jul 8, 2007
Carmarthenshire, Wales.
All done guys, thanks for any positive comments :) . It had a new flywheel/clutch 25k miles ago (about 65K) when the turbo went & took the bottom end with it - as it was all out I had a new flywheel/clutch fitted the same time. I still had the old flywheel & it was better than the newer one so I refitted that but with the newer clutch - all fine, no noise or vibes. Problem with the 'box was the bearing on the end of the mainshaft had spun and worn the casing, had a repair done & now its lovely :D

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise