Leon FR PD170 TDi Injector problem

paulfs

Nov 10, 2009
New Forest, HANTS
Add mine yesterday evening, just waiting to find out which one & indeed how many need replacing - not impressed at all, almost 4yrs old 70k on the clock - very poor quality from VAG.

A colleague at work has had to replace all his on an older Audi A6 3.0D Quattro recently, but he went for refurbished ejectors as he's getting rid of it, saved him a bundle - anyone done this, but still running with refurbed ones, has it been worth it?

Re SEAT UK & good will gestures, anyone tried that outwith a SEAT stealer? Have mine in at JKM Portsmouth, as I trust them rather than a stealer - what chances you reckon?

Any comments gratefully received :)

Cheers

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Add mine yesterday evening, just waiting to find out which one & indeed how many need replacing - not impressed at all, almost 4yrs old 70k on the clock - very poor quality from VAG.

A colleague at work has had to replace all his on an older Audi A6 3.0D Quattro recently, but he went for refurbished ejectors as he's getting rid of it, saved him a bundle - anyone done this, but still running with refurbed ones, has it been worth it?

Re SEAT UK & good will gestures, anyone tried that outwith a SEAT stealer? Have mine in at JKM Portsmouth, as I trust them rather than a stealer - what chances you reckon?

Any comments gratefully received :)It IS a known latant manufacturing problem [M Benz used the same supplier] with VAG cars. But how you would go about it, I suppose is the small claims court, and back it up with the data from this site and possible warranty insurers data?? [ I wonder what made VAG accept liabilty for the coil packs - simlar problem!!]

Chris2000

I had no problems with the pompy dealer, infact it was thier southampton counterpart that did the work on mine. Got the injector replaced and the loom for free (saved over 700 quid.) you might strggle to get a good will payment if you haven't had your servicing done at a dealer, and your over 60k too... that was two of the three qualifies for my payment of 100%... (initially offered 30% but one non-agressive phonecall to seat customer services later it was 100%) it is worth contacting thier customer services, they put up no fight at all to cover mine at 3.5yrs and 54k... so I would be suprised if you got nothing out of them.

I would take your mapping off before you get the garage to send all the info over... as that will probably blow it out the water :p its why I didn't do mine.

AndyVTR

Mar 19, 2002
I had mine go at about 80k. Got a full refund from SEAT. 100% good will, about £900. Worth a try if you're a loyal customer.

I mentioned this at JBS recently who asked if I'd had the loom done too. SEAT now recommend it. JBS said it was faulty looms killing off the injectors hence people having multiple ones going. Apparently Audi have been replacing looms for free before injectors die.

Chris2000

Now that is interesting... they did do the loom when they did mine.
I'm gona miss mine :( got to sell it as leaving country to go to New Zealand... where Seat don't exsist... or so it would seem, or I would take it with me...

Still might have to try out one of those 5 litre monster holdens... or a nissan 350/370...

Scooby250

Dec 25, 2009
Colchester Essex
Add me to the list. I have a 57plate and it has done 98000 miles.
My car had been chugging, producing alot of white smoke and losing power every now a then.
Took it to jbs and after an hour and a half of running it on the computer and other tests it showed up injector no3 is leaking which they said was unusual as they normally just stop working and cut the engine out.
So im now getting quotes from garages to sort the problem out before it stops working. The best quote so far has been £699 all in.
I was wondering how hard it is to change them as I used to do lots of repairs myself to previous cars and I can get all the parts for around £520.
Not sure weather to keep the car afterwards or change it, as what is the chance of the others going shortly after.

papercliptank

Hi everyone, you can add mine to the list too now. 56 plate fr170. A mechanic friend of mine has diagnosed that injector No 2 is down. The parts alone are £654, injector and loom. I called Seat UK as its out of warranty, they said to take it to the Seat main dealer and they'll take it from there. So i'm hoping for a goodwill as its a major part to be failing after 4 years and 60k miles. I'll let you all know how i get on...

papercliptank

Spoke to Seat UK today and they have confirmed that they will cover 100% of the costs as a goodwill payment. This is mostly due to the fact that it has a full Seat service history. If yours has the same then raise a complaint through Seat UK on 0500 22 22 22 (Option 4)and take your car to the main dealer to diagnose.

Cupraboy4

CUPRA TDi
Mar 20, 2006
WEST MIDS
just had my 56 FR 170 tdi injector number 4 and wiring harness replaced after it conked out on me, took nearly 2weeks but luckily for me it was under dealer warranty as ive only had the car 1month

Aspo0407

Spoke to Seat UK today and they have confirmed that they will cover 100% of the costs as a goodwill payment. This is mostly due to the fact that it has a full Seat service history. If yours has the same then raise a complaint through Seat UK on 0500 22 22 22 (Option 4)and take your car to the main dealer to diagnose.

Following from my original post at the top of this thread, back in April of last year, injector #3 went down at weekend. After a 2 day investigation was told it would be £740 with the obvious worry that the other two could potentially fail down the line. Got onto Seat UK who did a fantastic job in not only covering 100% of the cost but also as a goodwill gesture, they are replacing injectors #1 & #2 for free as well. They are aware this is a concern for many owners so I advise anybody who has this problem to get in touch with them asap. They are very keen to maintain faith in the Seat brand. (BTW - my FR did have service history upto warranty ending with a dealer but has done 99800 miles and they were still happy to cover the cost!)

Good Luck

cogdoc

G'day from Australia!

Seems we share a common problem, that is, the faulty Siemens 125kw / 170PD injectors.

We've started a few threads over here on our main VW forums, as we don't get the Seat in this part of the world. Seems ANY 170PD car is failing, and the Aussie Audi's are having similar problems. Doesn't seem to affect the 140PD as this is a Bosche system, and they have individual injector parts available unlike the uber secretive Siemens.

What I'd LOVE to know is who the heck can refurbish these things? We have a similar experience in that the dealer covers it under warranty, or partly so, but as more and more of us run out of warranty alltogether, and we get charged $1600 Au per flippin injector, I'm looking around for cheaper options for the lads down under. Your OEM prices are about half ours for a start!

I found these guys - AP diesels, sorry can't post the link as I am too new on here.

- but I can't get a reply email to my queries. ANY assistance you guys over there can give as to what options there are would be gratefully recieved, especially anyone who offers refurb.

Problem is definately insulation breaking down due to heat and oil, and shorting to ground. Interesting reading above about JBS saying the loom is the cause, seems VW isn't sure as they tend to replace both.

Perhaps we should band together and start putting pressure on the VAG group to get a recall happening? The BMW boys did it in the US over their dodgey fuel pumps...

mansonleonfr

This thread has saved me a grand. thanks. My car is currently with and independant garage who collected it on Tuesday night. He reckons it is the Injector and after reading the forum i had came to the decision that im going to have to pay a grand to fix an 06 leon 170 fr with 45k on the clock. I decided to phone SEAT an hour ago and they have booked me into my local SEAT dealership and will pay all costs under there goodwill process. I asked if this was a common fault and was told no(obviously a lie). I was told the engine parts are meant to last for life and thats why they will cover all costs. Its my bday aswell today so think i will go and get drunk

JB

JB
Mar 18, 2008
56 plate 170 TDi FR 68000 miles, two injectors gone in 6 months, SEAT paid for second one - goodwill. Wondering about the other 2 now - anyone else tried getting them changed by SEAT before they go pop?

Anything we can do to minimise the chance of them going like fuel treatment or the ultimate diesel fuels etc???

sazzylou1981

We had injector three go on Thursday 44k on the clock and just 4 years old but we have only had it a year this coming weekend and also has Seat servicing to just short of 3 years. Contacted Seat UK who advised to get it to Seat dealer who have confirmed 100% parts and labour to get this fixed. This is the 5th Seat we have had though and we still own another which we bought from new.

Bora

Jul 26, 2002
Visit site
Thought I would add my issue to the list as well.

Had an injector go a while ago and replaced under warrenty, its an Oct 06 TDi FR and the car failed on the motorway with the usual death and flashing coil light and then wouldn't fire up.

Got it to the dealer today and injector number one dead, full Seat history and currently on 83k miles. Have logged with Seat and going for goodwill payment, will update if and when they answer on paying up!!!

UPDATE.
Injector and labour fully covered by Seat UK, submitted a VOSA safety issue as well.

Last edited:

Bora

Jul 26, 2002
Visit site
No update on payment but have submitted a VOSA safety concern due to the fact that on both times the car has died has been at speed. No power assistance on breaks and steering not good, the first time it happened I was overtaking and this time with my 10month old.

Fill it in with the details not many boxes and it could force a recall to take away the "whens the next one going" feeling way.

The form is at the bottom of the page that is on this link

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/onlineservices/vehicledefects.htm

cogdoc

Can anyone let me know who is reconditioning Siemens PD170 injectors in the UK? I'm having no luck from this end...cheers!

cogdoc

No update on payment but have submitted a VOSA safety concern due to the fact that on both times the car has died has been at speed. No power assistance on breaks and steering not good, the first time it happened I was overtaking and this time with my 10month old.

Fill it in with the details not many boxes and it could force a recall to take away the "whens the next one going" feeling way.

The form is at the bottom of the page that is on this link

Very sorry to read that, but thank GOD you are OK, it's my biggest gripe with this problem the VAG group are ignoring, someone is going to get hurt, and why does it have to take that till something gets done about it. It's not like VAG wouldn't know about the issue, and it has tainted an otherwise glorious TDI experience for me, and most of you no doubt!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.