Leon FR PD170 TDi Injector problem

shaunTDI

Jul 2, 2010
its going to be a matter of time until something bad will happen to an fr owner :( my mums now got rid of hers bcause shes scared to drive it!!! now got a 59 a3 1.9 tdi

mekonj

Another one to the list - I had an injector fail in July last year with no prior warning signs or indication that there was an issue. Car is a 56 plate and only had 30,000 miles on it at the time. Luckily it was reapired under warranty but my warranty is due to run out in about a month so hopefully VAG will admit this is a serious safety issue and recall/repair any failures for free.

Andy

JB

JB
Mar 18, 2008
Yep - mine failed on a 50mph hill blind bend - almost caused an accident, second failed at 70mph....ish......on the M4 and I had to get across to the hard shoulder - not fun. I have too filled in a VOSA form.

Alzak

Aug 10, 2010
Hi

Is all joke with FR first was Dpf issue now injectors someone have to do something about this if injector will fail and You crash into sameone will be hard to prove that it is a SEAT fault

May we take this to the press or so??

Stealthy

Does anyone (or any organisation) have any idea how many of these 2.0 TDi engines have had failed injectors - I wonder whether any of the other owner's clubs or VAG fan forums have begun to collect such data?

For VAG to act on this and make it a recall issue they'd need VOSA to order them to do it (it has to be shown to be a substantive safety issue) or the percentage of failures has to be high - maybe somewhere above 15% of all cars with this engine suffering failure. Otherwise they're just going to deal with this on a case by case basis which isn't much comfort for us owners!

I haven't seen anything much in the motoring media on this problem, perhaps we need a crusading journalist on side?

cogdoc

Glad to see you guys have started a VOSA thread, and I can say on behalf of all the nervous 170 drivers down under we are hoping you guys can get something happening! Our government bodies here have zero sway, but we are chasing it up all the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bora

Jul 26, 2002
Visit site
Had letter from VOSA stating received and actioning so get your issues new and old in referring to these injectors.

Can this be made a sticky at top of page?

Kwok

Jan 9, 2010
Had two of mine done under warranty as I had just purchased the car which was on a 56 plate. Very dangerous as I had my year old son with me on the m8.

I am always thinking in the back of my head if there will be another occasion when this will happen again.

I have drove dpf vans for quite some time now and never experienced these problems or even the dpf problems in other vehicles other than the FR tdi.

I hope this thread does highlight the issues we have to seat and hopefully solves these problems and not sweep them under the carpet.

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
Had letter from VOSA stating received and actioning so get your issues new and old in referring to these injectors.

Can this be made a sticky at top of page?

I had my 4th injector replaced the day i got my new car, in fact i had to turn up on an rac wagon this was 6 months ago now, i paid in full and didnt question it as i wa out of warranty. do you reckon i would be entitled for anything? it was all done at a seat main dealer and cost me £800?

JB

JB
Mar 18, 2008
Well, I had two replaced after failure paid by warranty and seat uk, and wrote to seat stating full seat service history, lost confidence in car - will the other 2 fail etc, and they have offered to replace the other two before failure :eek:) So very happy with this level of customer service from SEAT and will definitely be having it done and keeping the car!

ibuckley

You can add mine to this list. 56 plate Leon FR 2.0TDI with 38,000 on the clock and FSH. Very concerned to hear it can happen at speed too. Luckily I was going slowly on the three occasions it cut out before dying completely. And if one injector has gone then the potential of another three just doesn't bear thinking about. Form on its way to VOSA and fingers crossed that SEAT UK live up to their customer service rep.

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
well just spoke to SEAT UK, they told me that because i know longer own the vehicle (as its my old car) they couldnt reimburse me any money as (upcoming potential BS!) they would need to have the car checked out by a main dealer to ensure that it was seat parts used to repair it, even though it was a main dealer who repaired it for me the day i sold it to them? They also said as i no longer owned the vehicle i no longer had a contract with them, even though im driving another one?

Any verify if their talking crap?

JB

JB
Mar 18, 2008
No doubt they are right, any work I have had needs to be approved first, garage wont do it until approved by SEAT UK.

Alzak

Aug 10, 2010
how about if I phone them asking about goodwill change of possibly faulty components on my car as I do not feel safe driving now in this car ??

JB

JB
Mar 18, 2008
If you have had no failures I doubt they will do anything. Also seems linked to 06/56/07 FR cars as far as I can tell - what is yours?

Alzak

Aug 10, 2010
mine is 07 plate I think August so looks like is affected in few weeks I do have trip back to my country Poland juxt over 1k miles and German motorways on the way with no speed limits on some part of them
now You know why I ask

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members