Leon FR PD170 TDi Injector problem

JB

JB
Mar 18, 2008
Mine all done and taken car on long run and it drives like a dream!! The mpg seems better too!

Alzak

Aug 10, 2010
Hi can someone send me email to Seat Uk I want to give try to ask about replacement injectors

stephenh

Jan 31, 2010
Nottinghamshire
add mine to the listed. Failed injector 100mile from home. Seat arnt interested in coughing up as i dont have a full history. Waste of £750
08 reg.

stevie_kelly

Update on injector failures 8 days later

Seat uk agreed to replace the failed injector. As well as this the loom and glow plug were both done. However when I went to pick the car up yesterday I was told a second injector needed replacing!! I spoke with UK again to see if they would replace the other two just to be sure. They said without them failing they couldn't. So I rang the dealer this morning to see when I could pick my fr up and low and behold the other two injectors ARE being replaced!! Credit where credit is due to both Agnews in Belfast and Seat UK for standing by the car but realistically this is an issue which should not happen in the first place!! Had I had had to pay for this work myself it woud have been over 2 grands worth!! Serious money and serious issues with 170 pd engines.

JB

JB
Mar 18, 2008
Good news - perhaps this is now a recognised issue and they are replacing them. yours an 06/56/07 by any chance?

stevie_kelly

Yeah it's an 07, I think the issue only affects the 170 pd manufactured in 06/07. Let's hope replacing is a fix!

mri

I had injector fail one month ago at 120.500 km and had to cough up for all the repairs myself, replacement loom and new injector no 2. Seat Spain are not interested in coughing up as i dont have the last 2 services at Casa Seat. I paid almost 1000 euro. Customer service Seat Spain told me they are not oficially informed about any 2.0 TDI INJECTOR FAILURE.

Stealthy

Further to the above posts asking about identifying the Siemens injectors, can someone please post the old and new part numbers please? Alternatively, are there any physical differences that would help to identify whether a car has had the injectors upgraded?
Thanks.

Bookerman

Add me to the list. 57 plate FR died at 70mph on the motorway on friday. Waiting for a cost for the repairs and decided to do a search when I found out the problem. Not happy to see this is a recurring problem and will be punting the car if SEAT don't help with this repair. 80,000 miles on the clock with full service history but only half of it by the main dealer. I've had 2 SEAT's and fully intended to buy a 3rd by the next few days may ensure I never buy one again. My sister also had an Alhambra and I can guarantee that will be gone shortly aswell depending on SEAT's response.

Last edited by a moderator:

Onevernio

Really concerned, aa have just been out and they suspect the problems throughout this thread. The 170tdi is 3yrs 5months old with 60700 on the clock. FSH with Seat registered parts but not at main dealer, do you think they will make a gesture? What's the best number to phone for Seat Uk? Apart from the DPF sensor issues the car has been amazing, currently sat here feeling sick. Who do i need to speak to when I phone? Gutted!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bookerman

I had to take my service history in today to the dealer as he's trying to get the goodwill gesture to get injector 1 and loom replaced. On the plus side I found an independant garage today who have injectors and looms in stock with the right software kit to do the job. He did one previous for 2 injectors and charged around £600, won't go there now but will if the other 3 go and I'm footing the bill.

Really concerned, aa have just been out and they suspect the problems throughout this thread. The 170tdi is 3yrs 5months old with 60700 on the clock. FSH with Seat registered parts but not at main dealer, do you think they will make a gesture? What's the best number to phone, apart from the DPF sensor issues the car has been amazing, currently sat here feeling sick. Who do i need to speak to when I phone? Gutted!

TBH I don't hold out much hope, it's a manufacturers nature to use any excuse not to do the right thing. I took mine away from my main dealer because I had it in 3 times for a suspect wheel bearing and each time they said it was the tyres, then took it to my local garage and one new wheel bearing later problem was fixed.

Stealthy

Further to the above posts asking about identifying the Siemens injectors, can someone please post the old and new part numbers please? Alternatively, are there any physical differences that would help to identify whether a car has had the injectors upgraded?
Thanks.

Anyone?

Stealthy

Thanks for that. There's a lot of reading there - especially if you follow the links in some of the posts.

I'll take some time to read through and see if I can come up with some definitive part number.

Craig FR

Apr 1, 2011
I have just found out that SEAT Bristol changed injector 2 on mine in Jan 10. the car has done a good 10,000 miles since then so im hoping the other three will be ok! the car came with a FSH from SEAT so at least that is a plus point. What is worrying though is that my car sounds a bit gruff under load and sounds a bit like a boiling pan. Time to investigate.

Onevernio

I have just found out that SEAT Bristol changed injector 2 on mine in Jan 10. the car has done a good 10,000 miles since then so im hoping the other three will be ok! the car came with a FSH from SEAT so at least that is a plus point. What is worrying though is that my car sounds a bit gruff under load and sounds a bit like a boiling pan. Time to investigate.

Can I ask how many miles it has done?:cry:

Craig FR

Apr 1, 2011
It had 50,000 miles on it when the Injector failed and now has 61k. I'm hoping the loom was changed at the same time!

mitchathome

this issue effects FRs and any other vehicle with the 170pd tdi engine due to how the ecu works. it does not effect the 2.0 pd tdi 140 or the 1.9 pd tdis - they'll still run with a faulty injector.

the faulty injector spikes the ecu and shuts the fuelling - this also throws up a main power relay fault.

it effects vehicle built around 6/2006 to 6/2007 but that doesnt exclude any others from the fault.

seat technical or VW uk wont issue technical bullitens on the fault because:

a. they know little about the cause

b. are not willing to recognise it as a commmon problem

seat uk are pretty useless with any major issues like this, it has no real giveaway signs and can just occur out of the blue, as most of you guys have found.

please feel free to ask me anything about the issue as i've dealt with a few.
Hi MJ i get the idea that you know what your talking about here. Looks like I may be suffering the same problem, I have a 07 leon FR Tdi, I was happily driving along M20 at 70ish and without warning nothing!! luckily light traffic and I managed to wrestle the unpowered steering to hard shoulder. AA recovered me when his diagnostic machine (all be it basic) did not show any fault. Of course it being bank holiday weekend nothing is open so I dumped the car at local SEAT dealer.

They have been looking at it since Tueday and inform me that there is no fault code stored so they don't know exactly what has happened. I did mention that a few of us are suffering this problem with this particular engine and age but I was fobbed off with it would have shown a fault code if it was an injector.

They have called me today saying that they are still not sure what the problem is but have ordered a relay (no further explanation) with a view to fitting it on Tuesday !! (another bank holiday of course)
My question now is as you mentioned in your post is this relay likely to fix the problem or is the root cause still likely to be the injectors ?

DjDuncan

Same problem here: my Leon FR TDI, from 2008, 35k km made...all 4 injectors failed! I put only the best diesel fuel in it all the time.

The car does have changed software, running on REVO since 20k km ago. But I don't think this alone would explain having ALL injectors fail at 20k - 30k km.

Oh, and another thing: VW are just plain killers selling this machine who can fail at any point and have its engine shut off in the middle of traffic...what happens if an injector fails right when you're overtaking another vehicle on the road? You DIE, right?

Bookerman

Mines been in the garage a week now with the garage waiting on a response from SEAT. Then I find out they are now closed from thursday night til tuesday. I've told the garage to get it sorted whether I pay for it or SEAT pay for it, £981 for 1 injector and 1 wiring loom. I think I've made my mind up that it's going and I doubt there will be another SEAT in my drive in the future.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members