Common Leon MK2 Problem Log

STU3Y

Nov 11, 2013
Kent
There is a circle surround just behind the arm that you turn. This just lifts upwards with a finger and thumb then the handle pulls off the spline. Reposition and push back in place. Takes 30 secs

gamer555

Dec 6, 2008
Brussels
one major problem I have not seen here is the "leaking cylinder head" which may affect 2.0 TDI PD engines. I replaced my cylinder head for my BKD and I know others suffering from the same problem.

Jamie_T_APLBMX

Sep 6, 2013
one major problem I have not seen here is the "leaking cylinder head" which may affect 2.0 TDI PD engines. I replaced my cylinder head for my BKD and I know others suffering from the same problem.

How much did this cost? I had a mate who had a leaking cylinder head in his BKD. Mines a little newer but it'd be good to know just incase.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Aug 28, 2013
Lanarkshire

i read a thread on here about the heads absorbing liquid and the cracking when they heat up. from memory it's something to do with the series of the head. A series ones commonly fail, B series ones are hit and miss, and C series ones all seem ok so far. it's stamped on the head.

Jamie_T_APLBMX

Sep 6, 2013
Sorry to sound thick. But where abouts on the head? Ill have a look. Probably gonna be one of those things I don't wanna know haha

Aug 28, 2013
Lanarkshire
Underneath some pipes (not sure if they're fuel lines or to do with air con) as you face the car, right hand side of the head. The letter comes after some numbers, can't remember how many. If you want I can get a pic of mine up tomorrow......

Jamie_T_APLBMX

Sep 6, 2013
Yeah if that's alright. Mines a late 06 Leon. Which is fairly early on a mk2 I think? And I'm topping up coolant every month or so? Not sure if that's normal

Aug 28, 2013
Lanarkshire
I put pics on Instagram a while back, my usernames unsheenashashin. Think it'll be the third pic along, it shows where the code sits, then a coupla zoomed out pics to put it in context. I'll load a pic tomorrow anyway. Dunno bout the coolant issue, does seem a bit too frequent, could your radiator be burst? Happened on my mk1.

Jamie_T_APLBMX

Sep 6, 2013
There's no water leaking anywhere. But that doesn't mean a thing in these newer cars. So complicated. I had an l reg polo before this. Bring that back ha. Ill check your instagram out. Cheers for your help

Jamie_T_APLBMX

Sep 6, 2013
Just checked mine and it says c. So either I'm unlucky and have probably the only 'c series' head that cracks. Or I have a leak

Aug 28, 2013
Lanarkshire
Hhhmm, I'd get a mechanic to check the radiator, could just be a wee pinhole in it, you shouldn't be using that much coolant. The C series head was a fix for another fix, so I doubt it's the head. I'm not a mechanic though, is get it checked sharpish. Be lucky bud.......

Jamie_T_APLBMX

Sep 6, 2013
I will do yeah. It needs to go in to have the turbo cleaned out somepoint. So ill get it booked in.

unyonion

Jan 9, 2011
Kidderminster
Timing chain tensioner failure... not massively common yet (seen 12 through research on golf mk 6 forum and couple of others, but is known defect and has a tsb)
Complete engine failure, 6k Bill for new engine of my fr tsi 59 plate, 33k miles.

basically tensioner pin releases/snaps from force of starter motor and let's the chain slip at start up so cams out of line, clink,clink,chat,chat bent valves, piston damage = New engine. May get some dealer contribution if you complain enough (so far 30%) if in warranty then should be sorted. Can happen at any mileage (some 10k,some50k) on all 2008-2013 2.0tsi in any vw,seat,Audi.

Copied from http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47128&page=9

Service Bulletin No.: TB-15-12-01
Component(s): ENGINE NHTSA ID Number: 10045560All Products Associated with this Service Bulletin

Vehicle MakeModelModel Year(s)VOLKSWAGENBEETLE2008-2010,2012VOLKSWAGENCC2009-2013VOLKSWAGENEOS2008-2012VOLKSWAGENGOLF2008-2012VOLKSWAGENGTI2008-2012VOLKSWAGENJETTA2008-2012VOLKSWAGENPASSAT2008-2012VOLKSWAGENR322008-2011VOLKSWAGENRABBIT2008-2010VOLKSWAGENROUTAN2009-2012VOLKSWAGENTIGUAN2008-2012VOLKSWAGENTOUAREG2008-2013VOLKSWAGENTOUAREG HYBRID2011
Details
0 Associated Documents Manufacturer: Volkswagen of America, Inc.SUMMARY:
VOLKSWAGEN: ALL MODELS EXPERIENCE THE TIMING CHAIN SLIPPING, RATTLING NOISES OF THE ENGINE AFTER STARTING, AND ENGINE FAILS TO START. 2008-13 ALL MODELS. *PE

Last edited:

STU3Y

Nov 11, 2013
Kent
Sorry to add this hear but thought there would be a lot of valued opinions and technically it does relate to a common problem. I need to buy a new turbo, oil feed and oil return. Where is the best place to buy. From what ive read turbo technics and midland turbo are good? Any advice would be appreciated

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

ECB

Edward CB
Jun 26, 2013
Northampton
Has anyone had an issue with the washer jets for the windscreen and rear window getting blocked? Mine keep doing it, know it sounds pathetic but keeps happening and in this weather it's a pain in a the arse. I've cleaned them out loads and it just happens again like a week later? Any advice?

Has anyone had an issue with the washer jets for the windscreen and rear window getting blocked? Mine keep doing it, know it sounds pathetic but keeps happening and in this weather it's a pain in a the arse. I've cleaned them out loads and it just happens again like a week later? Any advice?

I've never had a problem. My best advice would be to use genuine screenwash, and maybe see if you can clean the bottle out?

ECB

Edward CB
Jun 26, 2013
Northampton
Ok thanks, there good pressure on the back (with the actual jet bit off) , I did run the bottle empty a few times to see if I could cleared it out thinking there might be rubbish in there, but doesn't seem to make much difference.

DGF264

Jul 15, 2010
County Durham
Guys ive googled it and looked on here...but cant find seat uk customer services telephone number?? I would like to ring them with the reg of the car im looking at to see what recalls its had etc, cheers :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members