How to remove gear stick or change linkage 6 sp manual

unclebob

Jul 22, 2009
I have a 55 plate altea 2.0 TDI, and today the car isnt going into gears 2 and 4 properly when shifting down without a good shove.

The "top" gears 1,3,5 and Reverse are fine, but just 2 and 4 are playing up.
If i pull away, it goes in ok, though feels like it doesnt go all the way home. On the way down, it doesnt quite go into gear, when i release the clutch, it sometimes pushes all the way home, or it kicks it out of gear.

If i give it a good shove into position, it stays every time.

Im guessing linkage, but not sure what to check. Any tips or guides on how to get to the linkage?

Last edited:

teeth2k

Feb 8, 2003
sussex
Visit site
Sounds like gear llinkages, my old Ibiza used to be the same, on YouTube look up VW gear llinkages reset, if it's that then it's quite an easy job

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

unclebob

Jul 22, 2009
I saw a video on that yesterday, first problem I had was getting the cover off the gear stick. Eventually got that, and wiggled gear stick around, can hear it rubbing and squeeky. I've greased it up and see how I get on. Will look to see if I reset links today. Mine is a 6 speed, need to see what access I have from on top or if it's an under car job.

Update: can see the linkages but had difficuties taking off air box... good old youtube, will go back out and see if i can get it off in a bit...

Last edited:

unclebob

Jul 22, 2009
Done - the greasing seems to have resolved a squeak i had while changing gears, and time will tell re getting it into 2nd and 4th. Easy job once the airbox is out, the clip for the air intake pipe was a b***h as i pushed it down too far and then didnt have any tools to get it back on. Tip for next time - either take the top off the airbox - leaving the pipe connected, or remove the clip but just enough to get it on the lip rather then out of the way completely. once airbox is out, lots of space to see and do as per videos!

unclebob

Jul 22, 2009
So not done after all.

Couldn't get into 2nd,4th and 6th today on way home... took air box off again and had another look... this is what i found.

What a ballache,

So is it easy to change? The car now wont go into any gear, so is stranded on my drive...

Can i change on the driveway? Does it need me to get under the car or can i get it changed from inside the engine bay and cabin?

Any links on how to change is appreciated!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise