Liqui Moly Diesel Purge

Red Panda

Apr 18, 2010
Not telling
After reading loads about fuel system cleaner Liqui Moly Diesel Purge on an American Tdi forum, I thought I'd give it a go on my Ibiza FR (ASZ PD130). Prior to posting this thread I had a search for the product on SeatCupra.Net but there's no mention, hence this post.

I bought some of the diesel purge on ebay and made the feed pipe rig as per this Youtube video. Having built the pipework I tried the product out yesterday. With a 500ml bottle it takes about 15-20mins of running the engine while stationary to complete the treatment. I got my friendly helper to rev the engine a bit throughout the process while I made sure everything was okay under the bonnet.

Anyway to cut a long story short, Does it Work? The answer for me with an FR Tdi with 68k is a confident yes. Following carrying out the purge the engine's definitely smoother on a cold start and the engine overall feels more responsive and smooth. Apparently post treatment the product reduces soot and smoke although I didn't have a problem with that in the first place tbh.

I have used Millers diesel additive and Forte diesel treatments for several years and the Liqui Moly diesel purge initially appears to have produced a superior result. I'll still continue to use the Millers fuel additive but think I will continue to carry out a diesel purge every 10k or so. I can't honestly say I'll continue with the Forte though.

I'd like to say that I am a natural cynic when it comes to 'snake oil' products but in honesty I think this one seems to work. I'll be doing my partner's Polo diesel at some point soon!

Here's some pics of the pipework I created as per the Youtube video - it's definitely better than just poking a couple of tubes into a clear bottle as others seem happy with.

Please note I am using fuel line between the T connector and the fuel filter as it gets hot with the engine running. Clear plastic aquarium tube might not be able to take the heat so why risk it. The clear tubing up to the reservoir bottle doesn't seem to get hot at all (it's clear so you can see the liqui moly being used up and enables you importantly to stop the process before running dry. The pipelines are 8mm bore or in oldies speak 5/16ths.

The completed rig
Full-LMDP-Rig.jpg

Close up of the Fuel Filter/ T Connector/ connecting pipe
Filter-and-T-Connector.jpg

Hole out of Cordial Bottle to enable filling plus string to attach to rubber bonnet stop to hold it during the purge
ResTop.jpg

Fuel Filter Return (Doesn't have to be so long)
Fuel-Return.jpg

Well Done! you've got this far without nodding off ;) The whole rig only cost about a tenner from different ebay suppliers(of which there are millions) and from now on I won't be using Forte diesel treatment. Forte has a good reputation but the liqui moly diesel purge is nearly half the price of Forte and in my experience works a lot better. Now I have the pipework sorted I'm set for numerous diesel purges.

Plenty on other forums about it so don't just take my word for it. The Youtube video is excellent so should answer any q's. Failing that PM me or you're more than welcome to post in this thread :)

P.S. If this whole thing seems like a faff - it isn't and the results are worth it. In fact I'm looking forward to doing my next one :D

Last edited:

Red Panda

Apr 18, 2010
Not telling
Nice call, am after reading into this and nothing but good reviews.

Probably give this a go soon.
My driving is on varied roads and again today I have noticed a good difference between before and after the purge - something I've never had with Forte.

I wonder why carrying out a liqui moly diesel purge isn't more popular on here.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I'd never heard of it before, but after reading around online, it certainly seems to get very good results, would be quite interested to try it.

Whilst reading round, I also stumbled across Wynns EGR3 cleaner - an aerosol based cleaner that is sprayed into the intake before the EGR/inlet manifold, and again, this seems to get very good results. Appears to be developed & marketed specifically for the issue of clogged EGR valves. It's pretty cheap, so I've just ordered a couple of cans (around a tenner for both), to use on our Zafira CDTI 150 - they are renowned for problems with swirl flaps sticking in the inlet manifold as a result of the sooty crud accumulating in there as a result of exhaust gas from the EGR and oil vapour from the CCV system.

Red Panda

Apr 18, 2010
Not telling
I'd never heard of it before, but after reading around online, it certainly seems to get very good results, would be quite interested to try it.

Whilst reading round, I also stumbled across Wynns EGR3 cleaner - an aerosol based cleaner that is sprayed into the intake before the EGR/inlet manifold, and again, this seems to get very good results. Appears to be developed & marketed specifically for the issue of clogged EGR valves. It's pretty cheap, so I've just ordered a couple of cans (around a tenner for both), to use on our Zafira CDTI 150 - they are renowned for problems with swirl flaps sticking in the inlet manifold as a result of the sooty crud accumulating in there as a result of exhaust gas from the EGR and oil vapour from the CCV system.
From my limited experience the diesel purge does actually work. And way better than with my experiences with Forte Diesel Treatment which appears to do little more than get me through an MOT emission test.

That Wynns EGR Cleaner sounds excellent - I'm going to look into it for sure.

If anyone is interested I'll post up a couple of pics of the very basic pipework needed to carry out the diesel purge?

coolypops

Tastes like chicken
Feb 14, 2009
The Emerald Isle
I wouldn't be inclined to use that EGR cleaner stuff for a number of reasons:

1. I don't believe it would lift the heavy stuff. If you've seen how little choke cleaner does you'd be shocked.
Even if you use oven cleaner, you have to chisel off the heavy stuff first.

2. If it did lift any of the heavy stuff and a chunk of carbon went into the cylinder the end result
would be either a bent valve or bang goes your engine. :scary:

3. The stuff cleaned from this has to pass through the cylinders, turbo and cat. so it will probably just build up elsewhere.

Removing the intake and EGR and cleaning them would do a much better job and would also guarantee against destroying your engine...

And yes I'd be interested in those pics... thanks

Last edited:

lleiro

Feb 16, 2017
Reviving a very old thread but would love to check the videos if the bare still avail somewhere

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members