Oil...What to use in your TDI

davie

should be better on fuel and it gets around the engine quicker on cold start ups. turbo might spin up quicker as well. when cold.

toXXin said:
My PD130 is running 506.01 spec oil in it, and I have been advised by our favourite Skoda Master Technician that this shouldn't be a problem as long as it is changed at SEAT's recommended service intervals.
That's interesting Tom - I was told by my SEAT stealer that I must not use 506.01 oil in my PD130 under any circumstances, unless it was small amounts for topping-up... but then what the f@ck do they know... :D

Perhaps the PD engines in Ibiza's are different to those in Leon's...? I think not... :rolleyes: Is it worth the extra cost of using the longlife stuff tho? What are the real-life gains? :confused:

oilman

Forum Sponsor
Hopefully this will help:

I've plenty of good ones that meet the specs, just email me.

Cheers
Guy

VW 500.00
This is an “old” oil specification and is applicable to engines built before model year 2000 (up to August 1999)
Viscosity ratings: SAE 5w-40, 10w-40 or 20w-40
This oil can be used in all petrol and some diesel engines, apart from those referred to under other specifications.

VW 501.01
This is another “old” oil specification with exactly the same application as
VW 500.00.
Viscosity ratings: SAE 10w-40, 15w-40 or 20w-40

VW 502.00
This oil can only be used in petrol engines and is recommended for those which are subject to arduous conditions. It must not be used for any engines with variable service intervals or any which are referred to under other specifications.
Viscosity ratings: SAE 0w-40, 5w-40 or 10w-40

VW 503.00
This is a relatively new oil specification for petrol engines with variable service intervals. It includes the AUDI S4, but not the RS4, or the TT and S3 with outputs of more than 180bhp.
Viscosity rating: SAE 0w-30

VW 503.01
A new oil specification specifically for the RS4, and the TT and S3 with outputs of more than 180bhp, Passat W8 and Phaeton W12.
Viscosity rating: 0w-30

VW 505.00
For all diesel engines prior to model year 2000 (August 1999)
Viscosity rating: 0w-40, 5w-40 or 10w-40

VW 505.01
For all diesel engines with unit injectors (Pumpe-Duse or PD) without variable service intervals.
Viscosity rating: SAE 5w-40

VW 506.00
For all diesel engines except those with unit injectors, with variable service intervals.

VW 506.01
For all diesel engines, including those with unit injectors, with variable service intervals.

davie

so can i use 506.01 spec oil in my leon and stick to 10k servicing. i know it is for variable servicing.

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
Sooty torques said:
That's interesting Tom - I was told by my SEAT stealer that I must not use 506.01 oil in my PD130 under any circumstances, unless it was small amounts for topping-up... but then what the f@ck do they know... :D

Perhaps the PD engines in Ibiza's are different to those in Leon's...? I think not... :rolleyes: Is it worth the extra cost of using the longlife stuff tho? What are the real-life gains? :confused:

Remember that SEAT also insist that the Ibiza Cupra TDI MUST have 506.01 in it. Very similar engines, same service intervals...you make up your own mind :)

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Both Audi, VW and Skoda use 506.01 in thier PD engines on variable servcing.

We use 506.01 in all PD's regardless of servicing as we have it on pump, saves having a multitude of pumps on the wall and do it at an inbetween price.

davie

well i put in castrol slx 11 in yestarday. the car seems to go a bit better. it is better on fuel. turbo seems to spin up quicker when the engine is cold. (thinner oil). so it like like thats the oil i am am using now. tom did the garage put the oil in for you.

prc

Sooty Meister
davie said:
well i put in castrol slx 11 in yestarday. the car seems to go a bit better. it is better on fuel. turbo seems to spin up quicker when the engine is cold. (thinner oil). so it like like thats the oil i am am using now. tom did the garage put the oil in for you.

Being a thinner oil is the reason I went back to 505.01, at for the climate here in Portugal.

mymorph

Feb 21, 2005
wolves
Im using millers XFE-PD, about £6 a litre. Its the only 505 01 i could find.
from livian autos in Dawley Telford

aikejon

The dealer Castrol is c.r.a.p. -- if one can get it - motul, liqui-moly, or elf are used here. some use mobil1 or rotella but they're no better than castrol.

tony4563

So what would happen if you took your tdi130 to a non SEAT garage for a cheaper service and they put bog standard oil for diesels in? Would it damage the engine.? Should they be told that a certain spec of oil is needed or should they know already?

markmck

f!!#*** Computers
Feb 1, 2002
ballymena
Visit site
tony4563 said:
So what would happen if you took your tdi130 to a non SEAT garage for a cheaper service and they put bog standard oil for diesels in? Would it damage the engine.? Should they be told that a certain spec of oil is needed or should they know already?

i'd expect them to use the proper oil, otherwise it wouldn't be a cheaper serice as it would ultimately damage your engine. If they're a qualified mechanic they should know about the difference in PD and non PD engines

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise