Just bought Leon Mk2 SE Copa - Speaker quality

Topzzy55

Dec 12, 2017
North East
Just exchanged my 2011 Astra j 2.0 for a Leon SE Copa 1.2TSI as i wanted all the gadgets which my astra didnt have any of whatsoever... and I needed a petrol. The only concern up to now is build quality and speaker quality. It feels no where near as well built as the astra but that was a big heavy barge where as the leon feels really light on its feet! The main gripe is i can barely have any bass on as something within the drivers door just rattles like mad! This is the only place it rattles, anyone know what this could be? The speakers aren't quite as good as the astra but the driving experience completely tops it! If anyone has any suggestions that would be great :D.

elnigel

Nov 25, 2002
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Visit site
Pop the speaker grill off and have a look, feel round the grill there is a flat screwdriver shape slot, it just pops off. I think you can also remove the speaker without taking out the door card. You could fit upgraded speakers I suppose?

Which stereo does it have, does it have the same stereo as a golf/polo, big rectangular LCD or does it have the early facelift stereo with smaller screen. I've had both and the golf polo type one sounds quite a bit better.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

CRNeo

Feb 5, 2016
Liverpool
I went from astra estate to Copa se to get the extra toys I'm 1.6 TDI tho as I do quite a lot of miles.

Agree the astra felt a little more solid both nice cars tbf.

My speakers don't rattle so something could be loose in the door, I get the odd rattle from the passenger side handle was considering sound deadening my front doors more.

Speakers are not the best I've thought about swapping them out but not sure how much better they'd be still being driven off the standard OEM head unit.

I'm assuming being the Copa se it will be rns-315 touch screen unit with the sat nav etc like mine. I'd love to swap out for a decent android head unit but you'd lose some of the integration and it wouldn't be worth it for what you'd lose, I'd want it to work with the stock dab ariel, gps, mic etc.

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
Have to admit my passenger one makes a noise but only when a songs got lots of bass and the volume is up. I keep meaning to try and sort it out, I actually thought the speaker might be damaged with mine tbh, suppose I'll have to take it apart to fine out!

Personally I think the build quality in general is pretty good, I've had my 2011 FR+ for nearly 5 years and nothing rattles (apart from the speaker) or has fell off. My Mum's Ford which is much newer has rattles all over it!

Guessing you didn't get any warranty with it?

Topzzy55

Dec 12, 2017
North East
Yeah I think that's what I'm gonna have to do as it is driving me insane as I do love a good bit of bass!

It's the 5" touchscreen with Nav, DAB and Bluetooth etc so I was hoping it would be decent quality as the unit itself isn't bad at all.

I'll try and have a look within the speaker grill/door cards etc to see see anything is loose and if I can sort it. The speakers themselves sound okay but I would like some better ones eventually!

Topzzy55

Dec 12, 2017
North East
Btw I got a 5 yea4 guarantee for about £200 so couldn't complain I'm just not sure whether a rattle in the door would be covered or not? I might take it back and enquire but I just don't fancy getting laughed at haha!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.