Passenger door won't open from the inside

Goose-Wingman

Hi everyone,

Finally got my Seat Ibiza 1.2 yesterday, and it's brilliant. Except for something I'm beginning to suspect is a fault... After the central locking has been activated - manually or by driving off - the front passenger can't open their door, even when I'm stopped and I've unlocked all the doors from the driver's side. I have to get out in an act of ridiculous chivalry and open the door from the outside - and even then I sort of have to push the door handle inwards before I can.

Initially, I thought this was some kind of child lock, but there doesn't seem to be any system like that except for the rear seats. Is it broken? Is it something I could easily fix? Is there some way to use diagnostic software to stop the central locking from kicking in when I drive the car? Because, if the door hasn't been locked, it's still openable from the inside.

As you may guess, I don't know a massive amount about cars. I'm worried this annoying problem could be expensive to fix. Obviously I'll be contacting the garage I bought it from tomorrow and having a go at them, and I'll look into the pathetic warranty they offered... But any help would be very much appreciated.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
^^^^^^as said, once the 10mph auto lock has kicked in you need to double pull the inside handle to open the door. the 10mph auto lock and double pull can be disabled by vag-com or a dealer.

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
Alternatively press the Unlock button on the driver's door which unlocks everything, including the hatch. As has been said, the passenger needs to pull the door handle twice to open the door themselves.

Goose-Wingman

Alternatively press the Unlock button on the driver's door which unlocks everything, including the hatch. As has been said, the passenger needs to pull the door handle twice to open the door themselves.

Cheers for the advice, but I've already tried that and the old double-pull doesn't work. Which makes me think it could be a mechanical problem - but one I can hopefully still resolve with VAG-COM just by disabling the central locking/deadlocking at 10mph. Any other hints or tips most welcome. I'll be sure to update if I get to the bottom of this in case it helps someone.

By the way, this does seem to be a car that's prone to all sorts of little annoying problems. I suppose SEAT/VAG think they can get away with it because it's so sexy and fun to drive. They are, of course, right.

Feb 28, 2008
Scotland
tbh i think if your remove the passenger door card u might find the hook which goes over the handle on the inside has probz came unhooked and this causes the door not to open from the inside, mines has done this b4 wn i had the door card off. hook it back on and be careful it doesnt unhook again putting the door card back on, can be a bit futtery but that will at least show if that is the problem

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members