Gear Linkage Adjustment

AndyC567

Feb 28, 2006
Ever since I got my 130 TDI Sport back in April I have been slightly disapointed in the notchy gear change.

It feels like the linkage or something at the bottom of the stick needs greasing or something ?

I have been searching through the forums and it would seem that the Mk4 uses a cable system which can be adjusted.

Many have said it feels like a new gearbox if it is adjusted properly.

So, has anyone ever done this, is there a 'How To' anywhere or does anyone know the correct procedure required to make the adjustments ?

Thanks guy's.

AndyC567

Feb 28, 2006
This vid explains all. Ive never done it myself however, but been meaning to try...

He demonstrates on 5 speed, but shows 6 speed differences at the end.
http://vimeo.com/6881683

Thanks for the link, great help that..

It looks easy enough, does anyone know if this can be done easily on the MK4 ?

I guess it is to much to hope that it all can be done from the top via the engine bay ?

Thanks again.

AndyC567

Feb 28, 2006
Managed to do this today..

I did remove the Battery box so I could see what I was doing, but now knowing where everything is I reckon I could do it by just removing a plastic air intake pipe and getting my handes between the battery box and engine cover.

Not a bad job, the video says it really..

My gear change still feels a bit strange, but I have to say it now selects better.

I guess a 7 year old cable change is never going to feel like a newer direct change !!

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Managed to do this today..

I did remove the Battery box so I could see what I was doing, but now knowing where everything is I reckon I could do it by just removing a plastic air intake pipe and getting my handes between the battery box and engine cover.

Not a bad job, the video says it really..

My gear change still feels a bit strange, but I have to say it now selects better.

I guess a 7 year old cable change is never going to feel like a newer direct change !!

Gearbox oil change next maybe?

philje123

Chug chug
Jul 5, 2011
York
Just done this one mine.

Had to hold the gear selector down on top of the box manually as the little locking pin was broken and looked like someone had butchered it with something at some point. The when I tried to push it the bloody thing snapped off! Including the metal housing. I've sealed the hole up for now though... that's something to do another day!

On a positive note the gear change has a much more positive feel to it and whereas 5th and 6th were very hard to engage before (had to push the stick as far right as it would go!) they both slip straight in.

I only had to remove the air pipe from the front of the engine and that was sufficient to access everything... until the pin snapped off anyway! lol

Phil

philje123

Chug chug
Jul 5, 2011
York
I would say that unless you are finding it difficult to engage certain gears etc then do it. Other wise there's not much point.

I think mine only went wrong because of whoever had a go at it before me and broke the little pin.

Phil

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

AndyC567

Feb 28, 2006
VEry tempted to do this, just wondering how big of a difference it will make, compared to the risks of messing it up!

I would say there is very little than can go wrong..

I thought the whole process was very easy once you have access.

It deffo makes the gears engage better, although it didn't address my dis-like of the feel of the gearbox.

worth doing..

Go for it, it is not difficult at all.

Homr1975

Dec 12, 2017
Just wanted to say a massive massive thank you to great_kahn and others for posting the video clip to this-it’s enabled me the confidence to do it myself,video was excellent and made the process idiot proof.
Got my reverse gear back and I can confirm it feels like a brand new gearbox :D

Thanks so so much :rofl:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.