New 170bhp Diesel

rjg2

Anyone know when the new 170bhp diesel is going to be released in either Golf or Leon ?

AoS

It is mine, all mine.....
Mar 28, 2005
Wiltshire
VW are bringing out a Golf GT next year - Petrol is a 1.4 Supercharged and turbocharged ( :wtf: ) and I'm sure there is a diesel version coming out too, both at 160-170bhp... Do an image search on google images, it looks sweet! Boost gage on the dash, I want one! (boost gage that is)

Triple D

AoS said:
VW are bringing out a Golf GT next year - Petrol is a 1.4 Supercharged and turbocharged ( :wtf: ) and I'm sure there is a diesel version coming out too, both at 160-170bhp... Do an image search on google images, it looks sweet! Boost gage on the dash, I want one! (boost gage that is)
That 1.4 when both the supercharger and turbo are at optimum use the total psi is 29 or 39 iirc which is **** loads.

AoS

It is mine, all mine.....
Mar 28, 2005
Wiltshire
Just found this -

"Another power unit for the Golf GT will be available from the end of 2005 also: the powerful 125 kW / 170 PS 2.0 TDI. This four-valve TDI engine with piezoelectric pump/nozzle injection elements and a diesel particulate filter as standard gives the Golf GT extremely sporty performance with a torque of 350 newton metres, combined with attractive consumption values."

http://www.tuningnews.net/news/050830/vw-golf-gt.php

Must be the same engine that is going to be in the new FR diesel?

scott04shark

as well as having a turbocharger and supercharger they are sayin it will be as economical as a diesel

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
scott04shark said:
as well as having a turbocharger and supercharger they are sayin it will be as economical as a diesel

Nearly as economical as a modern day diesel, so around 45mpg on the run. But not as good as PD unit.

but if you compare it to a ford diesel then yeah its close.

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
Is there any difference between the tdi140 and the tdi170 engine apart from just a remap? Myself i wouldnt touch the new super/turbo charged engine since after the warrenty has gone nobody will probably want to touch it if it neededs fixing apart from a VW dealer.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
devonmikeyboy said:
Myself i wouldnt touch the new super/turbo charged engine since after the warrenty has gone nobody will probably want to touch it if it neededs fixing apart from a VW dealer.
Not only that, but it sounds like they are wringing every last drop of power from it already - doubt there's much room for any (reliable) tuning.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
The PD 170 is either allready available or will be very soon in the new Passat (same floorpan/layout aka A5 platform as the Leon/Altea/Toledo).

craig-pd130

May 7, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
The real difference is the Piezo injectors -- they're more accurate and allow multiple squirts of fuel per combustion stroke, so you get optimum fuelling, not just overfuelling.

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
craig-pd130 said:
The real difference is the Piezo injectors -- they're more accurate and allow multiple squirts of fuel per combustion stroke, so you get optimum fuelling, not just overfuelling.
I know the injectors are different between an 8v and 16v PD TDI but the PD140 and PD170 are both 16v engines and i dought that VW are going to fit different size or design injectors on the two engines.Its probably just remapped to a higher bhp since PD140 engines can be remaaped already to 190 bhp.

craig-pd130

May 7, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
Just called the local VAG main dealer to ask about the availability of the PD170 motor in the Passat and new Jetta.

Apparently it's introduction has been "delayed" and the dealer doesn't know when it will be available ..... certainly won't be before March 06, he reckons .....

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.