Front wheel bearing cost, have i been ripped off?!

DOWIE

Hi all, apolgies, Im not on here much, just dont have the time.

Got the Leon serviced yesterday, its an 06 Stylance DSG 2.0 tdi

The basic service parts Im not fussed about their cost, but I needed a front wheel bearing, and the part ws £145 ! Now im used to £20 wheel bearing kits on fiestas, corsas etc from the yunger days, but that seems unreal

It isnt even a genuine SEAT part either

Unfortunately, the car is no longer under warranty, unless im mistaken and I have a 3 years warranty, and not 2?

Please rest my mond, or tell me otherwise so I can have a go at the mech.

Cheers

DOWIE

DaveysFR

May 28, 2008
Northern Ireland: Limavady
Unless you car is a European Import then it should come with a full 3 year manufacturers warranty starting on the date of first registration (imports are only covered by 2 years warranty). Wheel bearings are not usually covered under warranty though as they are classed as a Wear and Tear part such as brake pads/discs etc, although, if your car has only done VERY low miles, the dealer may be willing to replace it under warranty or help you pay for a percentage of the repairs.

Hope this helps :)

I agree £145 seems realy steep, my old focus bearings were £25 each including the vat :banned:

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
I thought the Leon was 2 years manufacturer and 1 years dealer warrenty.

It would be worth giving SEAT customer services a call to see if the car it still covered and by who.

Foo56

Feb 6, 2007
I got quote not long ago from Leicester's Seat and it was exactly the same price as I remember.

DOWIE

It was def the hub part also that was replaced. I wish Id checked with SEAT forst as I stupidly assumed it was a 2 year warranty, which has run out!

Happy days

Thanks for the replies

DOWIE

andycupra

status subject to change
I believe because the dealer supplies it as one piece with the hub when you can get just the bearings and have them pressed in.

this is what i was thinking.

Charging loads of the part is easier for them. They would probably argue that you save on labour as they dont spend time pressing out the bearing, and then they may say this may not work. (or theydont have the equipment)

IMO its less hassle for them, but potentially more costly for you to get a new hub etc.

IMO Never get a dealer to do jobs like this. Labour if often twice that of decent garages and they appear to be unable to use common sense or initiative and work to the 'book' all the time.

SEATgod

Hello,

You can't get the bearing seperate!

It comes as part of the flange which is then pressed into the hub carrier.

It is because the wheel bearing carries the ABS rotor!

KR

DOWIE

Tellin me, i was expecting a normal service bill, then had £200 on top!

SEATgod

Hardly poor design.........just advancements in technology!

Years ago a set of plugs, points and a condenser cost amount 3 bob and a shilling!

Now a set of plugs will set you back £80 for 4.

Technology costs money!

I would not want any vehicle now out of warranty...costs are just to high for repair!

andycupra

status subject to change
Hardly poor design.........just advancements in technology!

Years ago a set of plugs, points and a condenser cost amount 3 bob and a shilling!

Now a set of plugs will set you back £80 for 4.

Technology costs money!

I would not want any vehicle now out of warranty...costs are just to high for repair!

not if you are comparing like for like. The plugs you refer to as being £80 are platinum and so a much higher quality product.
You can get plugs that are much the same for £12 or even cheaper.

Advancements in technology are good. But there is no reason why a part that is often requiring servicing or replacement cannot be designed to be replaced.
An example would be wishbone bushes, some places will replace to bush, but a dealer will often look to replace the wishbone as its 'easier'.

SEATgod

Its not some much easier as cheaper....look the repair times up and the hydraulic press you need for fitting the bushes!

R & R wishbone on a Leon, against R & R a wishbone and then strip out and replace the two bushes!

It's actually cheaper for you! Mor efficient for the Dealer!

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Then we come to the iffy topic of cars that have headlight bulbs that are innacessible to all but the smallest of 18 year old trainee double jointed fingers.

Now to be fair, SEAT aren't the worst culprit for this, Rover and Jaguar are right up there at the top .... but it illustrates the point being made.

Actually it's cheaper to buy the part and take it to a 'normal' garage who can fit the part without invalidating the warranty than it is to pay dealer price for the part and then dealer price for the labour.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.