Hurdy's Polo GTI - Ibiza cousin!

Hurdy

Yorkshire - born and bred
Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Looking good. Quite fancy one of these in 3DR form. How's the DSG box handling the extra torque? Any room for improvement or is it at it's limit?

The DSG is coping with the extra torque very well, I just feel I need a DSG map to be able to push further. REVO and ***** both have development plans for this in the new year.

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
So, here is a bit of an explanation of why I ended up with the Polo GTI............

The graph below shows my acceleration curve in comparison with four other performance cars. The lower the line on the graph the faster it is.

As you can see it isn't until 130-140kph that even the 395bhp Golf would get to the same speed as my Polo GTI. However, because I would have accelerated faster up to that point my car would be further ahead of the Golf at the point they are at the same speed. The Focus doesn't even get to the same speed as my Polo until 160kph (100mph).

Comparisonaccellerationcopy.jpg

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
That is well impressive mate. I just wish these engines weren't such a bother or I would have kept the boc. Maybe one day I may trade up back to one or even a polo gti with the xenons once all the mnisfire issues are resolved.

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
I know what you mean. It does worry me a little, but so far the car has behaved impeccably and runs great. I haven't used a drop of oil since putting the Mobil 1 in at 200 miles and I am now near 2000 miles. The updates on the Polo GTI engine were all done in August this year on the production line, so as mine was a September build I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all will be good. [B)]

JordanMk3

WackyColouredWheelsFTW
Jan 18, 2010
Little Hulton, Manchester
I cant see pictures of your car as Im at work, and my computer blocks pictures :S but its a class read, and cant wait to get home and have a nosey on your car.. Sounds like its fcuking rapid!!

bogdan_wrc

S3 driver
Feb 18, 2009
Eastern Europe
wonderfull car :)
what brake pads are you using, and how is the feeling?
i have the same brakes with CORSA pads and TAROX brake fluid and the feeling is not great :(

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
wonderfull car :)
what brake pads are you using, and how is the feeling?
i have the same brakes with CORSA pads and TAROX brake fluid and the feeling is not great :(

Sorry for the very late reply :redface:

Hmm, sounds like there is something else amiss with the brakes then. Mine are on Corsa pads and work great. Plenty of feel, don't squeal in traffic like some upgrades do and loads of braking power when you need it. [B)]

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Well it's been a while since my last update.

Booked in on Monday for the Water/Meth system Fitted. Gone for a Devil's Own system as it is simple and effective. The bottle and pump will be located in the boot next to the battery and will mean that there will be little evidence that it is even fitted apart from the injection point under the bonnet.

a 50/50 mix should give around 20-25whp extra on Revo Stage 2 setting "C" - race fuel only.

Effectively bhp should be somewhere between 260-270bhp.....fingers crossed!!!!

With the planned weight reductions in place this would mean around 235-245bhp/ton, which is just shy of my 250bhp/ton target.[B)]

Daily the car will run with either just water or water/meth mix on setting B.

After this I'll be off to Autosport International to interrogate tyre manufacturers for a set of decent semi-slicks to get the power down effectively and some bucket seats to hold me in.

A few other mods in the pipeline still to come. Intercooler and radiator upgrade should be done this month too and will further aid cooling. Also investigating options for a different supercharger pulley for more low down power. :)

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Errr, Water/meth nearly fitted, finishing it off tomorrow as I've been a bit finickety with where I want the intall to go and it's taken a bit more time than anticipated. :whistle:

Looking nice and neat so far though and Statllers have been brilliant again.[B)]

wrighty89

Sep 22, 2010
Really looking forward to the results of the hybrid turbo. Any news on a DSG map yet?

Was also going to ask. Did you feel a big benefit from the Whiteline RARB?

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Really looking forward to the results of the hybrid turbo. Any news on a DSG map yet?

Was also going to ask. Did you feel a big benefit from the Whiteline RARB?

The hybrid turbo is now on and running. Not done a dyno yet as my tuner is mad busy with a race prep Scirocco engine conversion.

IMAG0307.jpg

The car feels a lot stronger than with just the WMI and from stage 2 Revo to stage 2 Revo with the hybrid turbo and WMI the GPS figures have come down.

Stage 2
0-60mph in 5.1 seconds and 0-100mph in 13.7

Stage 2 with WMI
0-60mph in 5.0 seconds and 0-100mph in 13.3

Stage 2 with hybrid and WMI
0-60mph in 4.9 seconds and 0-100mph in 12.3 seconds
1-4mile on GPS [email protected]

IMAG0310.jpg

IMAG0311.jpg

IMAG0312.jpg

All these runs were done at the same place and the surface was flat on set-off then a kink in the track and the last half of the run has a slight incline.

No DSG map development on the horizon yet :(

The rear ARB helps keep things nice and flat at the back end, but makes the car a little twitchier than standard at the limit - otherwise you wouldn't know it was there as it has been nice and quiet, which some arb's aren't. [B)]

The Pace intercooler and radiator are being fitted next week.

Going off the Torque stats website figures for 0-60, 0-100 and qtr mile and putting in the cars weight the power comes out at 265-270bhp and this is without a custom hybrid map which is yet to be put on my car.:)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise