Car Brand loyalty - do you have it?

YorkshirePud

Apr 1, 2017
Merseyside
Howdy folks just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the subject matter? Do you worship a badge? Are there some makes you wouldn't touch with a barge pole? I'd consider myself now to be loyal to no manufacturer, there was a time when i was younger when i was a big Ford fan, but i think the current designs of the cars are naff, one of the reasons i never got a MK3 focus after owning a MK1 and 2 was i didnt like the look of it!

Now you might be thinking "hang on he's had a MK1 and MK2 focus? surely thats being loyal!" Not quite, when it came to choosing my MK2 i went around and looked at every car in that particular category and decided the focus was still the best fit.

I can say after owning a Vauxhall corsa as my first car i wont be rushing to buy another GM car any time soon. And i deal with lots of cars day in and out and French cars and me do not get on at all. hateful electrics!!! And fiats... AAAAAHHHHH!!!!

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Since my first SEAT in 1996 (Biza GTI) I have had only SEATs, all Biza's till the current Leon. I liked the fact they were not that common and a lot cheaper than the VW they were based on.

craig_v520v

Oct 5, 2014
plus.google.com
Not at all . I've had lots of different makes of cars and I means lots as I get bored with a car quickly sometimes lol .but after owning so many different cars I know what to stay away from now . Vauxhalls I've had haven't been very reliable and handling ain't the best . French cars are a big no no, one word on them electrics lol. In fact the most reliable cars I've owned have been ford's and vw group cars not had many vag cars but they've all been great same as ford and I've had loads of ford's . I'm now on my second seat toledo first was the v5 now got the 1.9 tdi and had a vw polo mk2 and mk3 , a mk1 seat ibiza and a audi a2 1.4tdi all the vag have had high miles and still run great . My current toledo tdi has 167k and runs mint so I'd say vw engines are great for high miles

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Been with SEAT since 2005, have good friends that work for SEAT in Spain, Italy and the UK. Good friends with people who for at HQ for SEAT UK and SEAT Sport so yeh I am brand loyal.

I also own a MK2 Golf though.

Couldn't see myself ever owning a Ford, Honda, Toyota etc.

YorkshirePud

Apr 1, 2017
Merseyside
we actually went from being an all ford family mum - fez, dad - transit connect and me focus to being nearly an all VAG faily, dads got a fabia estate now.

when most old blokes retire they might get a Jag, my dad bought a transit connect, no idea why haha :D

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
Been pretty much running around with VAG stuff the past 15 years but also Jap stuff too for a similar time.

Neither of them (SEAT/Skoda) and (Honda/Toyota) have been nothing really much to shout about to be honest but have been dependable and reliable lumps that have felt right and done what was asked of them. Have been great tools.

Not really a flash motor person but appreciate those that are on the road. Mr mortgage off the scene then I probably would go premium on a large BMW/Merc (6 series/CLS). Until then it is bread and butter motoring and VAG/Jap stuff have been pretty good at that so far.

Years ago had old school 90's Pugs and before that 80's Fords and none of those were a nightmare either if you looked after them.

Brand loyalty - nope and will try anything if the write ups are good together with real world reliability.

CH1

Jul 6, 2004
was reading through this of last month.... as the last 12-13 years been loyal to the Seat brand, my current and last Seat is still the Mk1 Seat Leon. But fancied something different to Seat and its been so hard looking at the current modern automatic cars; they all seem the same.

Prior to Seats I was loyal to Alfa Romeo's having owned 2 before and think I'm back to Alfa again with the Giulia.

Seats been cracking car, it does offer more bang per buck!

Last edited:

Deleted member 103408

No loyaty all I am looking for is the car that suits my needs / budget

So as a single guy I have Cortina 1600 GT with lots of body and engine mods,
Morris Marina (no lauging to older guys/girls) but it had a stage two head and could leave a 3 litre rover standing but could not stop or go round corners (you learn to drive then),

Family come along and get a number of estates and people carriers.

Mid Life Crisis gives me a rover 220 Turbo (and what a car that was)

Back to Family cars and more people carriers

Then kids grow up and I check out what has power, drivability and in my case does not look like a boy racer (Ford RS in my personal view) and I have the Cupra (woolf in sheeps clothing and not as obvious as the GOLF R).

But my next car will be that which I can afford and suits what I am after

JasonHughes22

Nov 5, 2017
I'm not super loyal to any particular brand. Every time I need a new car I evaluate everything available and make the choice for the best car that year. Different years I find different brands come out on top for one reason or another.

hybrid713

Aug 18, 2015
I'm not super loyal to any particular brand. Every time I need a new car I evaluate everything available and make the choice for the best car that year. Different years I find different brands come out on top for one reason or another.

Totally agree, but having said that I am pretty sold on the VW group. The latest MQB chassis is great and so are their engines. The interior/system is well designed and logically laid out. The lower end brands like Skoda/SEAT is nothing to shout about but the cars are well designed and good value. Currently drive a MK 3 Leon, am looking at something more refined and SUV, so thinking about a Skoda Kodiaq or VW Tiguan. If I have the cash, will probably go for a Q5.

DidierAubin87

Jun 19, 2018
France
www.carfromjapan.com
Not at all, each car brand has its own strength and weakness.:drive1: I used to own Toyota cars, BMW cars, Mazda,... and now I just bought a Nissan Skyline GTR R32 (https://carfromjapan.com/cheap-used-nissan-skyline-gt-r-for-sale) from Japan. I think I will not change another anymore, :rock: cause this perfect supercar gives me amazing experience with powerful performance with a straight 2.6-litre six-cylinder engine, it has double-overhead camshafts, variable valve timing and a pair of turbochargers.:drive2: I have to admit that Japanese cars are not a joke.

Last edited:

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
No, never been loyal to a particular car brand and have always been suspicious of those that have particularly 'good' or indeed 'bad' reputation, as said rep is always proven to be exaggerated either way.

More to the point, even the 'best' car makers have produced the odd duffer, or can be inconsistant in their perceived values. Likewise, the 'ropey' ones sometimes come-up with the odd gem of a car that can be a satisfying bargain to own.

Unless you happen to have a contact that can get you a particular car brand cheap, or are daftly brand-image obsessed, I don't see any point in loyalty. I just choose whatever is most suitable for the job required, within the budget.

Having stated that, there are some brands I generally admire, or better still have had good experience of owning. These include Lotus, FIAT, Alfa Romeo, Midas, Sylva, Daihatsu, Porsche, Subaru, Triumph, Mazda, Renault and the odd VAG product.

Then again, although I have been happy enough to be seen driving many different brands, (even the odd Lada in the distant past and a Proton presently) - there are a couple of 'big' brands, Vauxhall and Nissan, that I wouldn't be happy to own or drive for negative image reasons.
Not just because their cars are mostly mediocre, but mainly because of the type of p*sspoor drivers that seem to own them. (And sadly I have to include a member of my own family with an Astra, much as it pains me.)

Reactions: DidierAubin87

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
My loyalty lays where the best service is from dealer to manufacturer. Never had a problem with seat and my local dealer is amazing so I go back to them.

Fergal84

Aug 23, 2007
Fiat Punto, Renault Clio, Mk1 Leon fr, Mk1 Lcr (had kids) Mondeo Estate, Golf Gti, Ds3 :( pick up a Ibiza Fr tomorrow 50% VAG. Looks like I do have some sort of loyalty