Possible fault help

teeth2k

Feb 8, 2003
sussex
Visit site
Hi all
Last night I noticed when I first started my car pd105, the headlights would get slightly brighter when I revved the car, after a drive this wasn't that noticeable, could this mean either the battery's on it's way out or the alternator is on it's way out?
Also could this be related to why I have to have the cam sensor unplugged to get the car to start?

Any info would be much gratefully received

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
a voltage test wouldn't hurt but not immediately after a run say1/2-1 hour after should be ideally 12.6 then start check then switchon load and see if it dips much---------re cam sensor -wouldn't think it's relevant

teeth2k

Feb 8, 2003
sussex
Visit site
a voltage test wouldn't hurt but not immediately after a run say1/2-1 hour after should be ideally 12.6 then start check then switchon load and see if it dips much---------re cam sensor -wouldn't think it's relevant
IV read on the web that the sensor could be down to the battery or alternator if replaced and still at fault

Sent from my Wileyfox Storm using Tapatalk

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
With a multimeter on the battery the alternator should charge at around the 14.2- 14.5v mark and dip but recover as you load the current draw by turning lights etc on.

If you are getting less than 13.8v then you're not getting enough to keep the battery charged so could point to a faulty alternator but do check all the connections as breaks or corrosion can create resistance.

Last edited:

teeth2k

Feb 8, 2003
sussex
Visit site
With a multimeter on the battery the alternator should charge at around the 14.2- 14.5v mark and dip but recover as you load the current draw by turning lights etc on.

If you are getting less than 13.8v then you're not getting enough to keep the battery charged so could point to a faulty alternator but do check all the connections as breaks or corrosion can create resistance.
IV done a test with a multimeter and the battery is 12v on standing and 14v with engine running

Sent from my Wileyfox Storm using Tapatalk

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members