Driving to Germany

Joe_3490

Sep 20, 2010
Hi Guys,

Looking for some advise,

My partner and I are diving to Leipzig Germany for the World Dog show in November, I have read about the german Law on winter tyres but dont fully understand it. will I need to get some for traveling or is it depending on weather conditions? we will be going down to the channel tunnel and then driving through france, Belgium, Netherlands and Germany. This is the 1st time we will be driving abroad and i want to get as much information as i can to ensure i dont get caught out.

TIA

Joe

weasley

May 19, 2017
South Oxfordshire
As far as I can tell, there is no mandatory date period for using M+S tyres, but you must use them if driving on ice or snow. Can you predict the weather where you are going confidently enough...?!

As an aside, I have 'all weather' (M+S marked) tyres on my Yeti and use them all year round; they have been great tyres in all conditions (Goodyear Vector 4Seasons, I've had 1st gen and now have 2nd gen versions).

Gregor

Part-time Audi defector
Jul 17, 2001
Berwickshire
This is probably the clearest explanation "from O to O" in terms of time range.

Austria specifically states Nov to mid-April, whereas Germany simply uses the conditions, but suggest October to Easter as a guide.

And while legally M+S will suffice, the three-peak mountain seal is also advised (so actual winter tyres rather than all-seasons).

The AA provide a per-country breakdown of what's required in Europe and what isn't.

https://www.theaa.com/european-breakdown-cover/driving-in-europe/country-by-country

Remember, the Bammer is provided with self-sealing tyres, so you'll either need a spare or at least a sealing-kit if you're fitting non-self-sealing tyres. Also, make sure you get a larger self-sealing kit (I carry 2 x just incase and a plug in fag-lighter pump I got from Halfords).

FRST_181

Jul 3, 2017
Leicester
My ex was from Luxembourg who had the same driving laws. I drove there in October one year on all weather tyres and was never stopped. (Though my ex's mum did moan at me for not having winter tyres).
In Luxembourg they base their tyre changes on when the average temperature is below 5 degrees Celsius and drive on them all the way to the end of spring.

You should be fine with all weather tyres. Make sure you have all the relevant safety equipment in your car though such as High Viz Jackets, first aid kit, warning triangle, Breathalyzer kits etc.

It is alot easier to drive in Germany than it is here so enjoy it!

Gregor

Part-time Audi defector
Jul 17, 2001
Berwickshire
You should be fine with all weather tyres. Make sure you have all the relevant safety equipment in your car though such as High Viz Jackets, first aid kit, warning triangle, Breathalyzer kits etc.

Wasn't sure if breathalysers are required ; I know it was temporary law in France for a while but cancelled a while back. Won't do any harm to carry them though.

Interestingly the high-viz vest must be "to hand" ; so for example in your door pocket, over the back of your seat. It's no use being in the boot or in the glove-box where you can't reach it. If you're stopped by the police and it's not available to hand, they have the power to fine you.

[Edit]

I'm also sporting M+S tyres all season round ; https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/sailun/atrezzo-z4+as/225-40-18-92-w-xl-atrezzo-z4+as

Last edited:

Joe_3490

Sep 20, 2010
Hi Guys

Tahnkyou all for your responses sorry im only just saying it been very busy and not been on the forum.

I have decided i am going to get some winter tyres and Steel wheels for the car,

can you please advise if these will be ok http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-steel-...425732&hash=item1c89b75d9a:g:nBAAAOSwEatZgDsq

not made of money so cannot afford to spend huge money but i dont want cheap crap.

I have Nankang summer on my Toledo and tbh they seem decent enough and do the job just fine, i think i have found the correct fittment of 6.5 x 16, ET33, 5 x 112 and 205/60/16 tyres, the car currently has 225/50/17 on there as standard alloys.

Neither myself or my partner are to bothered about how the wheels look when we travel just want to make sure we are legal and have all bases covered.

Thanks

Joe

DeenGood

Oct 19, 2017
As far as I can tell, there is no mandatory date period for using M+S tyres, but you must use them if driving on ice or snow. Can you predict the weather where you are going confidently enough...?!

As an aside, I have 'all weather' (M+S marked) tyres on my Yeti and use them all year round; they have been great tyres in all conditions (Goodyear Vector 4Seasons, I've had 1st gen and now have 2nd gen versions).

Agree!

Joe_3490

Sep 20, 2010
Hi Guys

I ended up going for a set of winter tyres for when we go over and also we can use them during the winter overhere as we do alot of driving in the colder months anyway

JasonHughes22

Nov 5, 2017
Even if you don't get caught I would recommend using proper rated tyres for ice and snow. Getting into an accident is not worth the cost you'll save not buying the tyres. Winter tyres make a huge difference in braking and accelerating.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members