Festive banner??

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Lol. Been a bit busy of late.

I traditionally do it after I finish work for Xmas, which is tomorrow. So maybe tomorrow or over weekend I'll dob some snow on a Leon and change the banner. ;)

:santa:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Done.

Bit rough and ready thrown together, but not had a great deal of free time this year.

Refresh your browsers and clear your cache if you can't see it.

logo.jpg

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
My mate Ivan has 16 incher. What make is it? I can't remember. He got it from the south of Ireland. I helped him build his observatory outhouse. If I'm not mistaken he let me view the crab nebula through it and globular clusters and solar flares. Good stuff but I don't think he has a camera or tracker/sky finder fitted. He likes to search the skies himself.

Last edited:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
My mate Ivan has 16 incher. What make is it? I can't remember. He got it from the south of Ireland. I helped him build his observatory outhouse. If I'm not mistaken he let me view the crab nebula through it and globular clusters and solar flares. Good stuff but I don't think he has a camera or tracker/sky finder fitted. He likes to search the skies himself.

That's a big old scope a 16", possibly a Dobsonian reflector. I have a 8" Schmidt–Cassegrain reflector, gives me some stunning views of the night sky from my backyard.

However that pic above was simply just taken with my Canon SLR camera tripod mounted and I used a 20mm lens, no scope used.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
That's a nice picture well. In his the light is gathered by a large mirrior and bounced up to a small mirror which deflects the light to the eye piece. That's a reflector isn't it. He was trying to get me to get a scope but the light pollution around our way is ridiculous. I have to travel 15 miles to get dark skies and even then you still see the orange glow of Carrickfergus, Glengormely and Belfast. Does my head in.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
That's a nice picture well. In his the light is gathered by a large mirrior and bounced up to a small mirror which deflects the light to the eye piece. That's a reflector isn't it. He was trying to get me to get a scope but the light pollution around our way is ridiculous. I have to travel 15 miles to get dark skies and even then you still see the orange glow of Carrickfergus, Glengormely and Belfast. Does my head in.

Yup it sounds to me like its Dobsonian, which is a reflector, it works similar to a Newtonian type, but the Newtonian tend to be of a smaller aperture. Though they can be much larger. Is the scope tripod mounted, or mounted on a floor based rotating stand. Dobs have a standing mount which is much more portable and simpler to use and Newtonians will be mounted to a tripod or in the case of a large 16" aperture scope I expect its mounted to a pier or some other form of solid standing mount.

But they generally have an open end, mirror at the bottom, light bounces up to a smaller mirror which is directed out the top side of the telescope to the focuser and eyepiece.

Mine is a reflector also, but a different design, its known as catadioptric telescope. Light comes in the front, through a glass corrector plate to a mirror at the back, that bounces the light to a smaller one at the top which channels it back down a tube inside the scope to a diagonal and eyepiece. The large back plate mirror is moveable, so acts to focus the image. The benefit of this type is they have a very large focal length in a smaller more compact scope.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Yes it is as you described. mounted on a stand that looks a bit like a box about the same size as a bedside locker with sides that go up a bit to hold the scope and the eye piece is near the end of the scope. He likes to have a rake/joke with the women and tell them he has a 16 incher, then he says telescope. I'm surprised he hasn't been slapped so far. Cheeky chappy. :D

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members