Stereo upgrade on Leon FR 1P

tafakasam

Aug 12, 2017
West Yorkshire
Hi all,

I am looking to change my stereo to something better

I was looking at the RNS-315 or RNS-510 as it has navigation but cant justify for window getting smashed and stereo to be stolen etc

How many of you have got the above fitted and not had their windows smashed in?

Also been looking around on eBay for the Android DVD units and spoilt for choices. ideally want something which has navigation on there so i dont have to keep pulling my TomTom out on long journeys :bleh:

Can you all post a picture on what you currently have

And if i was to install a single din stereo wheres the best place to get the live feed from

All in all i still want to retain the steering controls and the stereo to look decent

Hope to see some good examples :)

Clarky89

Aug 11, 2017
Hi tafakasam

I would also be interested to see this. Currently deliberating over the RNS 315 as it fully bluetooth and DAB enabled as well as plug and play. From looking around the RNS 510 requires a separate bluetooth module and isnt DAB enabled (please correct this if I am wrong).

RNS 315 from ebay new is around £400-450. My second option would be the Kenwood 7017 dabs from Halfords as it has android auto/apple carplay. Similar price but requires fascia, wiring etc

Also welcome to the forum

tafakasam

Aug 12, 2017
West Yorkshire
Hi tafakasam

I would also be interested to see this. Currently deliberating over the RNS 315 as it fully bluetooth and DAB enabled as well as plug and play. From looking around the RNS 510 requires a separate bluetooth module and isnt DAB enabled (please correct this if I am wrong).

RNS 315 from ebay new is around £400-450. My second option would be the Kenwood 7017 dabs from Halfords as it has android auto/apple carplay. Similar price but requires fascia, wiring etc

Also welcome to the forum

I'm also leaning towards the RNS 315, keeping it 2nd hand budget wise they can be had for around £200-250ish but as i have a 56 plate (2007) Leon FR, not sure weather i would need to change Canbus gateway or not

Never the less i will be buying the navigation fascia adaptor soon anyway but also the android units seem tempting too, i either stick with genuine OEM or branded after market likes of kenwood, alpine and pioneer.

not in a real hurry anyway :rolleyes:

Cheers

Clarky89

Aug 11, 2017
I had a look around last night and there is a lot of critisism towards the rns 315 on the net mostly aimed towards the navigation. Mapping updates are expensive, doubles back on routes, doesnt provide enough information etc etc. Does anybody on here have a 315 to provide some clarification on these matters.

Im currently leaning towards the Kenwood android auto unit as its spotify enabled and uses google maps for nav which I find is very good with the constant live traffic updates. And its cheaper!

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Hmm, I had the 315 in both my FR and my Cupra. I've travelled all over the country and always got to where I wanted to go. The updates you can get off ebay for <£50. I'm usually 1-3 updates behind as the roads don't change that fast.

A couple of times its got me close to my destination before saying I was there (when I wasn't). But I was close enough to find the place I was going to.

The one time it took me down a country road and the place wasn't there, I got fed up, switched to Google maps on my phone and it took me round and back to exactly the same spot!! So its no better or worse than Google Maps for me.

Clarky89

Aug 11, 2017
Does this system work fully with you MFD for the nav aswell?

At the minute I still find the DMX7017DABS more appealing in terms of functionality but the RNS 315 I prefer for the OEM look.

tafakasam

Aug 12, 2017
West Yorkshire
I think im going to leave the RNS for now as i believe i will have to change the gateway canbus

I've used maps on my iPhone or google maps and its never caused me any issues got me to my destinations fine.

Thats the only reason why i wanted the RNS to retain the OEM looks

I believe the MFD works for the RNS (may need to activate it on VAGCOM) others can clarify this

I find the DMX7017DABS bit plain considering its carplay and mechless.. have you had a look at the pioneer carplays? may work out cheaper but not sure if it has android.

tafakasam

Aug 12, 2017
West Yorkshire
Just an update guys, i went ahead and bought an android headunit instead as i didnt want to buy a RNS due to possible change/upgrade of the canbus gateway

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEAT-SAT-...-SD/181703309928?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Picked the above up, but used (as new condition) at a decent price and fitted myself - Well pleased with it, just need to find a way of updating to android 6.0 as mine currently has 4.4.4 - maps need updating too but all in all it works fine

Specity

Feb 3, 2017
Just an update guys, i went ahead and bought an android headunit instead as i didnt want to buy a RNS due to possible change/upgrade of the canbus gateway

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEAT-SAT-...-SD/181703309928?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Picked the above up, but used (as new condition) at a decent price and fitted myself - Well pleased with it, just need to find a way of updating to android 6.0 as mine currently has 4.4.4 - maps need updating too but all in all it works fine

Nokia have a good navigation app, its called Here WeGo ... nicer interface then the iGo usually found on these

Last edited:

Clarky89

Aug 11, 2017
Would it not be possible to have Google maps for navigation on an android head unit?

Specity

Feb 3, 2017
Yeah you can but you need to tether to your phones wifi... In that case AutoMate is good, is a android auto copy. Just hassle turning on and off your personal hotspot

Jabtas

Aug 28, 2017
You no longer have to tether phone full time for Google Maps
You can do a one time download of a map area before your journey, possibly from home wifi i you're on a very limited data plan

You open Google maps and select 'offline mapping' then draw a boundary around the area you wish to download, almost all of the UK was just shy of a 1gig download

Of course this only gives you navigation and not real time traffic updates

Last edited:

Jabtas

Aug 28, 2017
As long as you have some sort of internet connection, it should stream as well as any other Android phone, tablet etc

If you can wait a few weeks, I will tell you how well it works :)

Clarky89

Aug 11, 2017
I'm not doing mine until January as I'm working away for a few months as of next week. I've seen the android 6 rns 510 style on eBay and it looks good but has slow boot up time. Hard to tell if your gonna like something until you use it though. I'm also intrigued about the torque app I saw on it aswell but I assume you can get that on your phone since it's an app.

Jabtas

Aug 28, 2017
Im currently leaning towards an Android 7.1 head unit, shaped to fit the existing trim (wider at top)
Also closely resembles the RNS510 so Im hoping it will have a factory fitted look about it

Clarky89

Aug 11, 2017
Same as what I was looking for I like the oem look but want more functionality. Needs to be at least Bluetooth, dab and some kind of navigation.

If you had spotify as an app would it store the same music as on your phone or would it have to be downloaded separately (i.e. if you download new music on your phone it doesn't download on another device unless it has internet to sync). Where android auto it's just control functionality.

tafakasam

Aug 12, 2017
West Yorkshire
currently im using iGo the one that came on the unit, i tried downloading the actual tomtom one but as its 4.4.4 its no longer compatible.. im going to try Herewego or another alternative

I spoke to Preston ice to see if they can either update the unit to 6.0 or update maps to which they can update the maps to latest one for iGo but but unable to update the unit to 6.0 as it needs to be sent back to manufacturer in china to have it done

so guys, make sure you dont make the mistake i did and buy an older version, ensure its the latest android version as some apps from play store are not compatible,

but so far im still liking mine, il try uploading pics when i figure out how to

im also planning on getting reverse camera installed when i have abit more funds

heggie

Jul 1, 2012
Ross-on-Wye
I know this thread is a few months old but since a few mentioned about upgrading to the RNS510 style unit from ebay, I would think twice. Below are my findings so far the unit cost £310 so I thought it would actually be a reasonable unit, it really does look the part and is very easy to use however these issues are found in less than a week.

The DAB stopped working within 5 mins (they are replacing the black box to see if this fixes it)

It takes about 2 minuets to boot up, useless if you want to have a reversing camera!

The FM tuner is rubbish!

The sound quality is rubbish (half the quality of the standard unit)

CDs dont play like in any normal head unit, the volume difference between radio and cd is massive. On CD if you turn it up to 15 it gets louder but above 15 and to max at 30 it gets quieter.

The Bluetooth microphone is terrible and not usable.

I think thats about it for now but overall not impressed! The seller claims he sells about 200 a month and has never had any issues before so yes I may have a dodgy unit which he will have to replace, however I will just want a full refund. Had this of been one of the £100 ones it would be expected. I will be contacting Preston ICE, if there unit has none of the above problems it will be worth the £450 or I will stretch to something like a pioneer one at about £600

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
That sounds a little pants, has the unit got any firmware updates of any kind?

Was anything change in the quad lock to get it working?

Cheers

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.