Leon fr tdi 2008 hesitates when accelerating

Lorand02

Feb 9, 2018
A friend of mine told me about the egr, after I clean the egr it was a big difference, when the engine was warm it wasn't even there.

Mhug

Jan 24, 2018
Bolton
I've ordered a bluetooth OBD today to be delivered tomorrow :-o so I'll get it hooked up and find out what's going on.

Let's hope I can identify the problem. I have noticed since changing the fuel filter its more responsive or is that placebo? Who knows?

Thanks again Davietdi

Mhug

Jan 24, 2018
Bolton
On another note I had a 55 plate LCR about 5 years ago and had a similar issue. It turned out to be the engine speed sensor. I was quoted £350 to fix and ended up getting the part myself from ECP for about £30 and got a mate to fit it for a few beers.

I guess this means I'm a cheapskate but I begrudge paying a fortune for simple work. Granted I'm no mechanic but I changed the fuel filter in about 5 minutes and got 35% off from ECP. I dread to think how much a mechanic would charge for 5 minutes of his time.

I've bought some EGR cleaner from halfords so will have a look at that tomorrow and hope it does the job...

Lorand02

Feb 9, 2018
Take out the maf sensor and drive the car around see how it acts, and look if it still smokes with the maf disconnected.

DavieTDI

Brain dead
Aug 3, 2013
kilmarnock Scotland
See to be honest know one here can really give the best opinion on what to do as we can’t see the fault in person. Log fuel boost and egr with vag com and look for something off

Last edited:

Mhug

Jan 24, 2018
Bolton
So I have no fault codes. I've not taken it on a run yet with it plugged in. I honestly think my turbo is on its way out. At high speeds it makes a right racket. Like a whirring/mechanical sound

Lorand02

Feb 9, 2018
I ignored the hesitation becouse it was there only some times and after the engine warmed up It was gone, but after I rebuilt the turbo realised it was gone, mine was also making strange noises, I mean like a jet engine.

Mhug

Jan 24, 2018
Bolton
Just a quick update.... I have ordered a Mk3 Ibiza egr valve gasket (I've seen on this forum that it's helped with other people's issues) It's apparently a smaller diameter hole which restricts the amount of recirculated airflow into the engine.

I've also downloaded the torque pro app to go with my bluetooth OBD and not had chance yet to hook it up and have a look at what's going on with boost/MAF/Load etc. I'll post a graph once I get it set up and go on a good run.

I have noticed that the hesitation has not been as bad recently when accelerating but I still get the whine in a high gear which I reckon is the turbo is on it's way out

May 14, 2022
Hi!

Did you manage to get this fixed and pinpoint what is the problem?

I am having the same issue and I have fully replaced a new turbo, but did not change at all for me.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.