timing chain question for 1.2?

ibizaneal

need more mods
Jun 7, 2007
Annan, near carlisle
hey,

iv just been reading up on here about the timing chain 'slipping' on the 1.2 ibiza's (sounds like a common problem), if i got my chain replaced would it stop this from happening or is there something i could do to stop this happening to me? I really dont want the hefty bill.

Cheers Neal

tuckerjuk

Jul 7, 2007
Glasgow
There is a modified timing chain kit that gets fitted now to stop it slipping , this would stop it from happening but would cost bout £400 supplied and fitted.

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
think I might have 2 get this done next service after a new chain is fitted. How much u reckon all in with a new chain and do u have the part numbers for this kit?

ibizaneal

need more mods
Jun 7, 2007
Annan, near carlisle
i would also like the part numbers and price for just the kit if you could provide them, i'd get it done by my own mechanic(he's a hell of a lot cheaper!!!)lol

tuckerjuk

Jul 7, 2007
Glasgow
Dont know the part number but its just a kit (everything comes in the kit- timing chain, tensioner and pulleys) and its about £110. Probably looking at between 3 to 5 hours labour for fitting from most garages. Have heard of the timing jumping and causing damage to the cylinder head.

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
yep think I will order the same soon, Keep it for november when I get my massive service lol. Are you sure its £110 thought the belt alone was £200 anyway neal when u order it mate let me know

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
ah right sweet mate chears. Sorry to sound like I didnt believe you just amazed some of the prices I have heard for a timing belt anyway bud thanks very much appreciate it

ibizaneal

need more mods
Jun 7, 2007
Annan, near carlisle
oh well ill get mine ordered soon and get it fitted, dont want anything going wrong!! just had to change insurance companies so it might have to wait till next month!!

ibizaneal

need more mods
Jun 7, 2007
Annan, near carlisle
i dont know if this will help anyone but iv just been in to the seat dealers and the timing chain kit part num is 03E198229A and is £55.02+VAT. the parts department phoned seat directly as he couldnt find it on his system, they told him the kit came out in 2005 and is the most up to date one.

hope it helps people.

Neal

Kennedy

i just got mine done last week, car wouldnt start when i came back from a week long training course in loughborough.
turned out that the chain jumped. never got it under warranty either as i was supposedly past the service date. and the rubber between the intake and engine cover was lying beside the driveshaft when i opened the bonnet. typical stealers eh

ibizaneal

need more mods
Jun 7, 2007
Annan, near carlisle
did the dealer admit it was a common fault by any chance? im waiting for a price to do it from my local garage(he's finding out some info on the chain kit and if he needs any special tools to do it), he's said he might not be able to do it if he needs any special tools. i just dont trust the dealers to do a proper job and look after my car. did anything get damaged as a result of your timing chain slippin kennedy?

Kennedy

thankfully nothing was damaged. was gutted at the price tag for it tho. now savin up for a lupo gti i think hehe

Parodius

My car conked out after running fine on Friday night after the usual journey back from work. Strangley enough I was reading this thread a few days before.

The garage that have it are saying its pointing towards a timing problem. They have already stated something in the region of 6hours labour to tee me up for bad news! They cant confirm unless they get the timing cover off? !

Does 3 hours sound a bit much to take off a cover?

The annoying thing is the car runs ok but wont idle and to top it off it had a 60k service not more than 3 weeks ago!! [:@][:@]

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.