Buying MK2 Facelift Cupra R

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Afternoon All,

Could I ask any MK2 Facelift Cupra R owners to let me know any issues they have had with their cars so I know what to look for when I go looking later this week.

I had a MK2 Leon FR previously but I am unsure on the differences between the facelift and normal model?

Any help would be great

Cheers

Simon

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Afternoon All,

Could I ask any MK2 Facelift Cupra R owners to let me know any issues they have had with their cars so I know what to look for when I go looking later this week.

I had a MK2 Leon FR previously but I am unsure on the differences between the facelift and normal model?

Any help would be great

Cheers

Simon
All Cupra R models are facelifts. The newer the model, the more bits got fitted as standard. Ran one of the last in the country from new until 2 years old, 30k odd miles.
Issues in that time?
1. Under bonnet insulation sagging/mouldy. Common fault.
2. External temp probe packed up, causing climate control to throw a wobbly.
3. Tyres. OEM Pirelli's seemed very vulnerable to sidewall/pothole damage. Worth checking that tyres fitted are of correct speed and load rating, also how worn are they? Factor in the cost of replacement.
4. 4 wheel alignment, a common Mk2 fault. Check for wear on inner edge of rears.
5. Check all lights are working, particularly the self levelling on xenons. Later models had 'tick' led rears.
There are some other things, do a search on here, I believe the fuel pump follower can fail so worth checking out.
Good luck!

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
All Cupra R models are facelifts. The newer the model, the more bits got fitted as standard. Ran one of the last in the country from new until 2 years old, 30k odd miles.
Issues in that time?
1. Under bonnet insulation sagging/mouldy. Common fault.
2. External temp probe packed up, causing climate control to throw a wobbly.
3. Tyres. OEM Pirelli's seemed very vulnerable to sidewall/pothole damage. Worth checking that tyres fitted are of correct speed and load rating, also how worn are they? Factor in the cost of replacement.
4. 4 wheel alignment, a common Mk2 fault. Check for wear on inner edge of rears.
5. Check all lights are working, particularly the self levelling on xenons. Later models had 'tick' led rears.
There are some other things, do a search on here, I believe the fuel pump follower can fail so worth checking out.
Good luck!

Perfect buddy that will be most helpful!

Door locks are also shyte. I've changed one. 2 more to go.

Is there something to test regarding this? do they just not unlock or stick etc?

Cheers

Simon

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
If you came from a Leon FR, you'll be used to most of the niggles. I get ice inside the car, rattles from the door panels. My personal fave is I usually have to shut the boot twice. Cause first time it never shuts right. But I had the same on the FR so thought meh.

When I bought mine, the seller couldn't prove the cambelt / waterpump had been done. So if it hasn't it may be worth haggling off the price / requesting it done as condition of sale.

Cam follower I had done as well, that was about £35 and half an hours labour. May be worth just changing it regardless.

As kazand said there are some differences between the years. Mine is late 2011. So I get the RNS315 (which I don't think the 2010 has). I also get the LED rear tail lights (which I prefer). There may be a couple of other differences which I can't recall.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
If you came from a Leon FR, you'll be used to most of the niggles. I get ice inside the car, rattles from the door panels. My personal fave is I usually have to shut the boot twice. Cause first time it never shuts right. But I had the same on the FR so thought meh.

When I bought mine, the seller couldn't prove the cambelt / waterpump had been done. So if it hasn't it may be worth haggling off the price / requesting it done as condition of sale.

Cam follower I had done as well, that was about £35 and half an hours labour. May be worth just changing it regardless.

As kazand said there are some differences between the years. Mine is late 2011. So I get the RNS315 (which I don't think the 2010 has). I also get the LED rear tail lights (which I prefer). There may be a couple of other differences which I can't recall.

Thanks for these buddy, I was expecting the problems to be the same but then I wasn't sure on FL changes as I have never been in one. Yes I think the lights are the circles like my old car which I liked anyway so that doesn't bother me as much. As for the stereo I can easily change it as I did that previously.

Good call on the Cam Follower, I assume any garage will know what I'm on about lol The guy said he can prove a Cam belt and water pump done at SEAT so that's happy days.

Is there anything I can check regarding the Charcoal canister as I had issues with this on my previous FR...

Cheers

Simon

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Good call on the Cam Follower, I assume any garage will know what I'm on about lol The guy said he can prove a Cam belt and water pump done at SEAT so that's happy days.

Is there anything I can check regarding the Charcoal canister as I had issues with this on my previous FR...

Any decent garage lol. Since my car is mapped, its "recommended" I have the follower changed at every service now as a precaution. Apparently mapped cars wear them faster.

Um, well, I had a clicking noise and the EML came on. I scanned it and it was the carbon canister. Raced across to the garage. Guys said not to really worry about it as it doesn't effect the running of the car, just the emissions. If I was that worried just to open the petrol cap and relieve the pressure. I had the N249 (I think it was lol) changed as a precaution. Which I think was £70ish. EML hasn't come on since.

Edited:
My bad, it was the N80, not N249.

Last edited:

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Ah, here it is...

Cupra vs Cupra R... and R update:

"In addition the Leon claimed more striking exterior styling, arch-filling 19-inch alloys as standard and distinctive 'R' branding on the central grille, instrument dials and the remote key. August 2011 saw extra kit added to the Cupra R's already bulging spec list, including SEAT's latest media system, Bluetooth connectivity, bi-xenon headlights and LED rear-light clusters."

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Ah, here it is...

Cupra vs Cupra R... and R update:

"In addition the Leon claimed more striking exterior styling, arch-filling 19-inch alloys as standard and distinctive 'R' branding on the central grille, instrument dials and the remote key. August 2011 saw extra kit added to the Cupra R's already bulging spec list, including SEAT's latest media system, Bluetooth connectivity, bi-xenon headlights and LED rear-light clusters."

You sir are a legend! Ok so I won't get the updated RNS stereo, it's something I can swap out as it has Satnav already so should be good to go hopefully.

Lights are not an issue for me, I found a Cupra R with 30k miles with Cambelt change etc for my budget so I'm happy.

The Standard Xenons in the soon to be mine may be a pain if I get a failure but that's life lol

I must say I'm quite excited haha

Cheers

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.