Best headlight bulb 2018?!

Cossie-boy

Nov 25, 2012
Hi all

I know there are loads of threads about bulbs and I've read some, but I've just had a headlight bulb blow tonight so need to change it, or more like upgrade the pair!

I've had Xenons before, HIDs in my last MK1 and previous to that Osram Nightbreakers. All good in their own way I guess.

There seems to be lots of new bulbs on the market these days, which are the best?

I thought about HID's but not sure if can be bothered with the wiring etc...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

CB

ray

Jan 7, 2016
I asked the same about hid kits, was shot down in flames for wanting to blind on coming traffic.

I use a set of Phillips bright white (they’re not white) and seem pretty good, still fancy a hid kit but it’s not a necessity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cossie-boy

Nov 25, 2012
Aug 6, 2013
Thatcham, Berkshire
Think they are about the same price i paid for mine. They were much better than any bulbs i used including Osrams, didnt need to use full beams often. Instructions tell you to cut a hole in the cover but you can route the cables out of the bottom by creating a 5 - 10mm gap where the cover goes on.

Cossie-boy

Nov 25, 2012
Think they are about the same price i paid for mine. They were much better than any bulbs i used including Osrams, didnt need to use full beams often. Instructions tell you to cut a hole in the cover but you can route the cables out of the bottom by creating a 5 - 10mm gap where the cover goes on.

Are these the exact same ones?

ray

Jan 7, 2016
I just bought a cheap set off eBay, made sure they were the correct type and error free, I’ll post the difference once they’re on.

Thanks Cossie boy you’ve cost me 20 quid

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
I would be looking at LED bulbs now, they are as good as HID's for reliability, easier to fit and bright, but best of all they match the original filament bulb for light source position and size much better so the beam pattern is not disturbed.

Cossie-boy

Nov 25, 2012
Ray - Id like to see a pic when you have fitted them mate

Muttley - But would LED's fit straight into a 2008 MK2?

I just changed the bulb as had a spare H7 from my old MK1...how easy?! like under 5 minutes easily! Cant believe how much room there is compared to me shredding my hands many times on my MK1's!

I shall wait to hear but think deffo HID's or maybe even LED's are the way forward for me

ray

Jan 7, 2016
I’ll post a before and after pic when they’re on, won’t be here till next week so I’ll probably stick them on at the weekend.

LCR33

Aug 18, 2014
In a house
HIDs are old tech now. Just go straight to led. My Mk1 has all leds now massive difference over HIDs and no ballasts or holes in the back of the lights. Plus will last a lot longer

Last edited:

ray

Jan 7, 2016
edfa5fa36a2bd993f45c5b346232fe63.jpg

984e076e2b317a969645af6231e296b8.jpg

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/141658782108

Ok, so for 15 quid I think these are a great buy (even though it now seems that the LEDs are the way to go).

Took about 20 mins to put in, just plug and play really simple. I never cut any holes for the wires just put the covers back on, slightly forced but there’s a tiny gap I didn’t have much time to mess about.

The pictures don’t do them justice but they are FAR brighter than the original bulbs I had in (which cost more than the kit itself, Phillips bulbs).

Plus, they look cool as balls when you first turn them on, so a very good/cheap mod, though if I’d have known I would have tried LED Bulbs as they are far less footery. Although the prices do seem a lot more steep.

The ballasts are tiny, due to the way the wires are they don’t particularly need to be stuck down but I used some strong Velcro and they’re well hidden.

Will try get a better picture of a clear road in the dark, overall I’m extremely happy with the result and as advertised no canbus errors. :)

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Cossie-Boy said

Muttley - But would LED's fit straight into a 2008 MK2?

I can't say for sure, but will try to post again once I've replaced the bulbs in my Altea (the Golf Plus version of the Mk.2 Leon :D ) I will be looking for LED's, of good quality.

Sorry for the contrived response, for some reason I could not get the Quote function to do what I wanted it to.

Rosskie

Apr 20, 2013
Got a set of Nighteye h7 LEDs off ebay fror £18, and they are excellent. Make full beam pathetic and that's with them set to the lowest height so as to avoid blinding other cars. Been out at night could times and no-ones flashed me so i assume all ok.

However, the bad point. I noticed how yellow my sidelights look in comparison, and when trying to find some led sidelights to improve the look - I found out external LEDs are illegal for road use. They will also be classed as a mod so could invalidate insurance, and might fail MOT.

So back to crappy normal bulbs for me.

If anyone knows different, I'd like to hear. Its nice to be able to see so well at night.

Rosskie

Apr 20, 2013
As a followup to my last post, the ebay listing for the bulbs says they are CE approved, and the box has a CE symbol on it. So, that pushes liability for EU conformity onto the supplier, away from the consumer, and might mean these bulbs are infact legal.

A call to the insurance company is needed to check...

Also - no canbus errors on these bulbs either, if anyones interested!

Paulki

Jul 12, 2006
Enfield
Got a set of Nighteye h7 LEDs off ebay fror £18, and they are excellent. Make full beam pathetic and that's with them set to the lowest height so as to avoid blinding other cars. Been out at night could times and no-ones flashed me so i assume all ok.

However, the bad point. I noticed how yellow my sidelights look in comparison, and when trying to find some led sidelights to improve the look - I found out external LEDs are illegal for road use. They will also be classed as a mod so could invalidate insurance, and might fail MOT.

So back to crappy normal bulbs for me.

If anyone knows different, I'd like to hear. Its nice to be able to see so well at night.

Which model did you get, as I have Nighteye H7's and I get an error? I also have (error free) led sidelight bulbs and my car passed it's MoT with no issues, he said as long as the beam pattern was ok then it will pass.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Been reading some of the new upcoming MOT regs and they look to confirm any hid kit fitted aftermarket will be a fail, my testers say that if in doubt they fail a car and it will be up to the applicant to prove to the DOT that the tester was wrong, same goes for dpfs, if it’s missing or looks messed with, failure.
Mistakes during a test can cost the tester big so many of them will go for caution rather than taking a chance.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.