Awesome Cupra... but...

Das Chin

Aug 31, 2016
I went for the 290 black 5dr manual a while back as it was the last of the stock before facelift.

Crazy deal at £157 per month inc vat and road tax for 2 years & 10k miles with £2k down. Was rude not to!!

Greydar

Jan 1, 2017
North Somerset UK
Come to think of it, the Lotus Carlton was a good car and (almost) a Vauxhall. Well, at a stretch.

Still take the long way home sometimes just to enjoy the drive
And if that is not an indication of what a good car is I don't know what is. I even like driving to Sainsburys now:D

Das Chin

Aug 31, 2016
lotus Carlton epic car. saw one of those recently up at Virginia Water meet. brilliant and classic. again they cost fortunes.

Greydar

Jan 1, 2017
North Somerset UK
I have had the Cupra for over six months and several thousand miles now. I'm delighted to say I still enjoy climbing into it in the morning. In the Summer with the windows down a hill climb at full throttle just makes me laugh, and a straight and empty level road will still give you that OMFG feeling. Yes, you can get a better sound out of a V8 or straight 6 but as far as bang for your buck goes this is unbeatable. Downside:- I have to park on a hill and when it rains the passenger door fills with water. This floods out from a drain hole whenever I open that door. Weird but I can live with it. Upside: growing old disgracefully is fun and impresses the hell out of your work colleagues:happy:

Greydar

Jan 1, 2017
North Somerset UK
Hello fellow Cupra enthusiasts and welcome to 2018. I must admit I don't like this time of year - the roads are slithery, the sun is ridiculously low and you can't see for all the **** on the windscreen. Nevertheless, a year on and I still love getting in this car. Servicing was by Holders of Congresbury (N. Somerset) who did a competant job and are recommended by Syphon. They pointed out the NSF tyre was down to 2.5mm a whole 1mm less than the OSF so maybe I am going too fast round left-hand bends? What would I change? I would have adaptive cruise control rather than the standard "dumb" system, and I would have more powerful headlights. Other than that what's not to like about a car that puts a smile on your face for so little money (relatively speaking, you understand) Think I'll hang on to this for a while and see what supercedes the 300!
Happy New Year

Pistol_Pete

Dec 23, 2017
Hello fellow Cupra enthusiasts and welcome to 2018. I must admit I don't like this time of year - the roads are slithery, the sun is ridiculously low and you can't see for all the **** on the windscreen. Nevertheless, a year on and I still love getting in this car. Servicing was by Holders of Congresbury (N. Somerset) who did a competant job and are recommended by Syphon. They pointed out the NSF tyre was down to 2.5mm a whole 1mm less than the OSF so maybe I am going too fast round left-hand bends? What would I change? I would have adaptive cruise control rather than the standard "dumb" system, and I would have more powerful headlights. Other than that what's not to like about a car that puts a smile on your face for so little money (relatively speaking, you understand) Think I'll hang on to this for a while and see what supercedes the 300!
Happy New Year
Hi, what cupra is it that you drive? I used to have adaptive cruise on my previous car and i like the dumb one much more. The idea behind acc is great in my opinion but the problem I had was driving behind someone making a 90 degree turn off a main road, the acc would brake very hard and start accelerating very slowly and not beeing very smooth. This is understandable since it just wants to keep the distance and doesn't know the situation. Kinda hard to explain but I highly recommend testing out the acc for a good long drive before spending money on it, my previous car (2014 Golf Gti) didn't have the option to turn it to a normal cruise, which i would've used. To put it short if you have acc your driving depends on the person driving in front of you, and thats not always great, at least here in Finland LOL.

Lähetetty minun SM-G930F laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Greydar

Jan 1, 2017
North Somerset UK
Hi Pete
I drive a Leon Cupra 290 Black. Thanks for the points regarding acc. I only really ever use cruise control on a motorway. Here in England it is pretty useful for roadworks with average speed cameras. I don't know if you have this in Finland but here it is a nightmare. I can certainly see that acc on a normal road would work terribly badly. It is certainly not a priority for me as I don't use it very much but thank you for pointing out that it might not be much better than "ordinary" cruise control. I used to have a VW but it was so expensive (yeah, I know they own SEAT)
I bet you have some really fantastic driving roads there in Finland (in the Summer anyway) :)

Pistol_Pete

Dec 23, 2017
Hi Pete
I drive a Leon Cupra 290 Black. Thanks for the points regarding acc. I only really ever use cruise control on a motorway. Here in England it is pretty useful for roadworks with average speed cameras. I don't know if you have this in Finland but here it is a nightmare. I can certainly see that acc on a normal road would work terribly badly. It is certainly not a priority for me as I don't use it very much but thank you for pointing out that it might not be much better than "ordinary" cruise control. I used to have a VW but it was so expensive (yeah, I know they own SEAT)
I bet you have some really fantastic driving roads there in Finland (in the Summer anyway) :)
Yeah on motorways it is fine, and would be great if you can switch it to a normal cruise when you want (maybe possible with vcds?) Then it would be totally worth the few extra hundred euros or gbp. We only really have cameras on main highways here and i'm pretty sure our roads are in similar condition (absolutely horrible since past few winters have been so warm) But occasionally i find some nice roads

Lähetetty minun SM-G930F laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Greydar

Jan 1, 2017
North Somerset UK
Sad to report I have finally let the Cupra go. It was a fine car, and I looked after it well, and apart from one water-pump issue (which was really the garage's fault) it never let me down. Practical and fun in one grin-making package, but the ride was too harsh for my wife and, honestly, the roads in this country (UK) are abysmal and you feel every pothole. I decided to dial things back a little; take it easy in a barge rather than a jetski. No idea how I ended up with a M240i.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members