wing mirror removal .

luckymjr

cordy's are cool
Nov 29, 2006
hertfordshire
Hi all :)

I drive a 55 plate seat cordoba tdi 130 ( i'm posting here coz i think i'll get more response ) and i was just wondering if somebody could tell me how to remove the black wing mirror cover ( drivers side ) that covers up the wing mirrors supporting screws .

The reason i want to remove the cover is because my cordoba suffers very badly from motorway ' wind noise ' and although the dealership has already fitted a new door seal the noise is no different :confused:

I'm pretty sure that the draught noise is coming from the wing mirror area , hence the reason for my posting ,

Mark :rolleyes:

Aimez

yeh common prob on the ibiza too, I tried sealing as many edges as I can on mine as someone on here said it helps. With mine i pushed them into the window (parking position) then just carefully put a screwdriver under the edges on each side and they pop off. I broke a clip bit on one though as I was a bit impatient be careful!

luckymjr

cordy's are cool
Nov 29, 2006
hertfordshire
Thanks for your advice lads :D

I've managed to get the cover off without breaking anything ( i think )
I can't take it off completely however because the speaker wire is still connected .

Now i've released the cover what now ?
Where do i seal and what is the best stuff to use for this ?

Sorry to be a pain but car maintenance isn't really my forte ,

Thanks again ,

Mark :worship:

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
I think you actually seal between the mirror cover and the mirror, rather than between the mirror and the door.

Removing the mirror completely is not required.

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
I think so... try a search I guess :)

I don't have any wind noise problems... I didn't pay much attention with the original black wing mirror covers but had the FR ones since I pretty much got the car and haven't noticed a problem.

I did however get an annoying wind noise with my deflectors though... I eventually sold them on as it got rather annoying.

luckymjr

cordy's are cool
Nov 29, 2006
hertfordshire
wing mirror cover removal / wind noise

Hi all .
I thought i'd post a quick update on this topic .

Basically i managed to remove the wing mirror inside cover ( the one that covers the screws that holds the wing mirror in place ) and sealed up most of the gaps . This however made no difference at all when driving down the motorway , as the wind noise was still terrible :confused:

Basically , since my original posting , i've had my cordy looked at by my local seat dealer , regarding this matter of wind noise .

I picked my car up earlier today and spoke to the technician who worked on my car and he said that he'd adjusted the wing mirrors set position and has inserted some kind of tape inside the mirror unit :think:

Originally the car was booked in to have some kind of modification done to the door seal , but after attending some kind of meeting with SEAT , the mechanic was told that ' door / window' seals are not the problem with the ibiza range but the mirrors are , hence the adjustment and sealing of mine under warranty .

I'll do a later posting and let you all know if this has made any difference ,

Mark :think:

Last edited:

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
ok really silly question but i have a '02' plate 1.2 and the wing mirrors dont seem to want to fold, is that jus me being girly with them or is it some thing more?

bizzaboy

ok really silly question but i have a '02' plate 1.2 and the wing mirrors dont seem to want to fold, is that jus me being girly with them or is it some thing more?

Yeah, you really need to be trying to fold the mirror INWARDS, towards the windows, trying to push them the other way (outwards), and they'er more likely to snap off! :p ;)

Seriously, hold the unit and give it a good firm push!
...all car wing mirrors are designed to fold! :)