Ibiza cupra TDI - whine increased with revs

Toby Davis

Toby Davis
Oct 12, 2009
Kidderminster West Midlands
Hi all, been a while since I last asked for advice. Cupra TDI on 70,000 miles, original turbo, revo remap stage 2 with egr only electronically removed (done around 5000 miles ago). Also had cat knocked out. Otherwise standard. Makes a fairly quiet but noticeable whine heard all the time except when accelerating. You can increase the whine pitch on idle by increasing the revs slowly. Garage convident it's the turbo and not a loose belt or tension. After a second opinion of the experts

Toby Davis

Toby Davis
Oct 12, 2009
Owned one previously which did 155,000 on original turbo and had been remapped for 70,000 miles, no turbo issues whatsoever, hence me doubting the turbo. Only thing to mention is I accidentally used 5w-40 instead of the recommended 5w-30 about 3,000 miles ago. Worth doing an oil change again to rectify?

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Mine had a really annoying whine that was linked to engine revs. hit the 'Eco' button on the AC controls and it went away immediately.
Turned out the AC refrigerant was abit low and the compressor was having a moan.

It's not always the turbo so double check everything you can first!

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Could be a boost leak or a pipe fallen off as well.

When the turbo inlet pipe falls off it makes some odd noises.

Toby Davis

Toby Davis
Oct 12, 2009
Still pulls very well so don't think it's a boost leak. Might do another service on it and check under the car, boost pipes and turbo. Have noticed since the decat the car smokes quite a lot. Only does it pulling of slowly from junctions and at low speeds though. Low revs seem to cause it to smoke and not acceleration. Sooooooo strange

Toby Davis

Toby Davis
Oct 12, 2009
Ahhh badger, you know your stuff . Yes mate, stage 2 revo. Only went stage 2 to remove a constant eml. Egr still in place with vac hose blocked blocked and flap constantly shut. Ideas? Noise started shortly after returning from the garage after having a new drivers side spring and strut. Noise defo coming from under bonnet, driver side

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
To rule out alternator and aircon, remove the auxiliary belt and start the car. If the noise disappears then you know it's either aircon or alternator. If the no is still there take a look at boost pipes and then look as the EGR pipe from manifold to make sure it's split.

Toby Davis

Toby Davis
Oct 12, 2009
5w-40 oil a big no no? Should I service again using 5w-30? I can check boost pipes and egr valve. Tbh though never messed with belts before and wouldn't know what I was doing :( garage seems sure it's turbo, I'm not convinced though

sk1234

FR Ibiza
May 7, 2017
West Midlands
It's 5w-40 fully synthetic car lube oil, don't think it meets be requirements :(

Have you still got the bottle? Car Lube definitely do an oil that has the 505.01 spec requirements, go on the website and you will see them all.
I've recently bought a 5dr FR which has the PD130 engine in it, sometimes on a cold start it increases its revs to 950 and you can kinda hear the turbo go up with a slight whine, everything is fine and I've also read that it can be normal for it to do that on briskoda.... I suspect it could be a boost leak maybe but at the same time it's gave me 400 miles in one full tank and still pulls very well. I don't hear any noticeable whines when driving tho only when still

Last edited:

Toby Davis

Toby Davis
Oct 12, 2009
It pulls really well, I know boost gauges can be inaccurate but mine reads very high boost. Sometimes peeking around 30psi and settling around 25psi. Yeah still have the bottle. Says fully synethtic triple R. Vw 502.00/505.00 which is wrong for this car I believe?

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
You need 505.01 ideally and 30 psi is a massive overboost, no wonder why it's whining however, it settles to a more respectable 1.72 is ok. The quick surge is what kills turbos and consistent overboost.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Toby Davis

Toby Davis
Oct 12, 2009
Was respectable until the cat was removed then starting reading above 30psi boost mostly in 4th gear. High boost had worried me for ages now. Is it normal for a decat to cause a spike in boost? Like I say made 4th gear pull monstrous and over boost to the point it's not fun, it's just concerning!

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
The map needs changing to accommodate a decat ideally. As the back pressure is now reduced, air can pass through the turbo easily (faster) so the vanes need opening up to account for this and control the overboost.

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
Change the oil first and £410 is a lot nowadays, but suppose you're paying for the name. Shame you're not closer to Midlands as I'm able to log and tweak the map.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.