EGR delete or removal

shazo

Nov 26, 2009
hello,

since iv got abit of free time i thought id start working on the ibiza again. i have a facelift 1.9 tdi FR mapped, no cat and no backbox just a straight through pipe and a K&N cone filter.

anyhow recently i was messing about with a mapped fabia VRS and i got off on him and he told me he had a EGR delete. im concidering doing this depending on how hard it is and cost.

so if anyone knows can you answer the following:

1) does removing the EGR and raplacging with a pipe make is faster/responsive?
2) will removing EGR affect the engine?
3) will any warning lights appear on the speedo?
4) any idea where i can get the pipe from? and how much? a fried told me e-bay

any help would be apreciated.

Rhys_

Mar 29, 2009
Cardiff, South Wales
so if anyone knows can you answer the following:

1) does removing the EGR and raplacging with a pipe make is faster/responsive?
2) will removing EGR affect the engine?
3) will any warning lights appear on the speedo?
4) any idea where i can get the pipe from? and how much? a fried told me e-bay

any help would be apreciated.

Ok i will try my best with what i have learnt but someone may be able to give better advice.

1) There is no performance gain in bhp etc with an EGR removal, all you are doing is stopping the exhaust gas recirculation and therefore stopping the build up of all the black gunk.

2+3) it wont effect the engine as such as you are educing the build up of deposit but a warning is most likily to come once it has been removed - most people then have the light mapped out.

however in having this done on some of th more modern 1.9tdi engines i have heard there is a slight loss in power i.e a reduction of 5hp or a little more, i dont know why and all the people i have spoken with have not got a full answer yet, however the main reason i have know people to do it is not specifically for performance but for the reasons in point 1.

4) Allard used to do a kit, and i think maybe spitfire performance do one but not sure on any others.

hope that helps

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
What about one of these blanking plates with the small hole in the center to let some gas through to fool the sensor, any good. :shrug:

Rhys_

Mar 29, 2009
Cardiff, South Wales
I have only read that some people have used those because they didnt want the trouble of mapping the light out, but havent heard much further than that sorry.

L14M_T

THE JOYS OF A 1200cc
Jan 14, 2009
RCT, South Wales
I done this to my 1.2 and felt it was hell of a difference especially on low revs but made my engine run alot richer which caused it to run really hot. I didnt pay any money to blank the EGR valve, get some sheet metal and trace the outline of the end that connects to the inlet manifold and the end that connects to the EGR(from the manifold) solid peices no holes for it to breath. Put them in between like gaskets and disconnect your EGR plug bolt it back together. so no air is leaking into your intake or exhaust gasses leaking into your engine bay. Of course your going to have your engine management light on however way your going to it because the emissions reading is going to be incorrect but thats the easiest and cheapest way that does the same job.

shazo

Nov 26, 2009
through my research so far it was sought removing the EGR with the allard kit would increase responsiveness of the car and performance as more oxygen and air was going into the engine.

so far i found a blanking plate and an allard kit for 60 quid on ebay. theres a local lad with it done to his fabia VRS next time i see him il have a proper chat and look under his bonnet.

thanks for the help

nickfantastic

I have blanked my egr pipe at the exhaust manifold side. it was just a case of cutting a piece of tin to shape. as for the eng man light there is no reason for it to come on as the egr is vacuum fed and and ur not actually disconnecting. the only reason u wud see the eng man light wud be if your air flow sensor picked up a change in the air drawn into the engine. unlikely tho.

nickfantastic

if this is the case then if your engine man does appear a egr map out wouldnt work. ud have to totally map wot the maf sensor is seeing. suppose mapping places hav already figured this out

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
You alter the expected egr flow reading the the engine ecu, much like turning it down with vag com but deleting it so it doesn't look out for the calculation.

nickfantastic

so wen egr is blanked would your maf sensor would see a bigger air flow. It would draw more air to compensate the loss of exhaust gas

shazo

Nov 26, 2009
i thought it would be a straight up manual job so i can replace the parts myself... this mapping out the EGR flow thing seems like its going to be a headache.

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
Iv reduced the gasket size, known to work well on the 'BLT' engine codes etc.

Iv got reduced hesitation on a gear change, definately noticable. £1.40 and 10 mins to do!

Jimski

shazo

Nov 26, 2009
Iv reduced the gasket size, known to work well on the 'BLT' engine codes etc.

Iv got reduced hesitation on a gear change, definately noticable. £1.40 and 10 mins to do!

Jimski

i have a BLT engine... how do i go about doing this :D ?

Aimez

Sorry I am still lost where is any proof this does anything other than what people 'think' which may be in imagination, anyone RR the car before and after or anything?
Why is Jim saying it cost £1.40 and then people saying it is £60 off ebay?
I have never really heard much talk of this doing anything and been on this and few other VAG forums 4 years now so need to be convinced.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise