Road trip (london to south of France)

richardpwadams

May 7, 2017
If we are only focusing on south France (i.e. Monaco, nice, cannes, Frejus & St Tropez) where do we stay. Can anyone please give me a one liner for each area and where they recommend we stay. Just me and wife going). Not sure if we are going Marseille yet. We want to stay at a nice good value hotel - might not even exist.

Thanks

I always eurocamp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
Port Grimaud is a nice place to visit, across the bay from St Tropez. The AA website has a good reference section for driving in Europe regarding headlamp deflectors, spare bulbs, first aid kit, warning triangle etc. See also any updates on carrying personal breathalysers in France. I have used a company in Germany called Toll Tickets for the Liber-T box which you rent from them to use the auto toll lanes on Autoroutes and at busy times will save you an enormous amount of time. Some large European cities also now require vehicles to display an Emission sticker. Driving in Switzerland on Motorways requires you to display a Vignette, and the fines for not having one are significant! You will need to carry documentation relating to your car as well, registration document, MOT Certificate if required and Insurance details. One thing you must check, as loads of people have been caught out with this, is that even if you have fully comp insurance in the UK, this will drop to third party cover only when you leave the UK, and your insurance will provide you with a Green Card. At the moment, until Brexit gets sorted most of the major European countries will accept the UK driving licence, this is easily topped up by getting an IDP (international driving permit) before you go, the Post Office and other organisations can provide one for about £10 to £15. Get sorted, plan ahead and do it! I have been doing Euro trips on two and four wheels for years and loved every minute.:drive1:Last year we ended up at the old Stalag Luft 111 prisoner of war camp in Zagan, Poland, which the film The Great Escape was used to dramatise the events that occurred there, a very emotional place to visit.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.