Help with fault codes

Rhysgill99

Dec 31, 2017
Hi all,
I have recently encountered the problem of my Ibiza Cupra r 180 engine code bbu throwing codes posted below

16396/P0012/000018 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Advance Setpoint not Reached (Over-Retarded)

17559/P1151/004433 - Long Term Fuel Trim Additive Air; Bank 1; Range 1: System too Lean

These codes were found with vagcom and show up as intermittent faults, I have also noticed that my car will also sometimes misfire on cold start and periodically looses boost.

The car has been mapped before I purchased it, it also has a 4 bar fpr, ecs screwdown coil packs, n249 bypass, sas bypass, decat and full exhaust, k and n filter, upgraded fmic and forge silicon hoses and a bov

I have recently changed the maf sensor and plugs and this did not seem to fix the issue of misfiring and loss of boost

Any help or advice on this situation would be greatly appreciated

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
I would have thought(if I have the right motor) you would need to check the valve timing /chain tension and then on to the cam advance unit re mixture it's either an air leak throttle body clean or generally dirty system when was the fuel filter last changed?

Rhysgill99

Dec 31, 2017
It’s a timing belt on this car mate, this may be a stupid question but can I ask what you mean by the cam advance unit? Also the fuel filter was changed by last owner, not too sure about how long ago but probably a year to 18 months ago, I have a new fuel filter there but I just haven’t got around to fitting yet, there is definitely no air leaks as car has been smoke tested as this was initially my first thought

Rhysgill99

Dec 31, 2017
Ah okay I wasn’t aware of that, How would you recommend I went about looking for leaks then? And also is there anything I can check in vagcom that would help me narrow down potential problems

Also forgot to mention in op, plugs were changed around 2 weeks ago and old plugs were black, is this related to the codes found ?

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Best way to check for leaks is a pressure test. Seal the system at both ends and feed in air till the system reaches pressure.

Your plugs were black?? Soot black or oil??
Soot indicates bad over-fuelling.

Rhysgill99

Dec 31, 2017
They were sooty black which is throwing me off, how can I be getting a code for too lean when the plugs would indicate I’m running too rich ?

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
They were sooty black which is throwing me off, how can I be getting a code for too lean when the plugs would indicate I’m running too rich ?

that's a good question re engine I thought it was the chain driven one which has a hydtaulic actuator to change the cam timing viv a vis one cam against the other however cam timing check would still be worth while and maybe a compression test dry and wet

Rhysgill99

Dec 31, 2017
Will be sure to have timing and compression checked

Is it also worth while getting a leak down test done ?

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Last edited: