Anyone else sick of 50 shades of grey (cars)?

steveemacz FR

Dec 23, 2016
Manchester
a new car is expensive. it is probably the biggest purchase you will make (other than a house), so there is always the tendency to go for a safe colour, - which is exacerbated by the limited alternative choice having 'brave' colours. such as lime green etc.
not to mention people are more aware than ever that grey colours allow you to get away with less washing..

and if anyone says 'but car manufactures need to plan years ahead for colours' and so can't predict current trends. thats just cr@p if they want to produce a new colour it doesn't take years of planning or testing.
modern manufacturing techniques also handle colour changes in a run better than ever before.

the sad matter of fact is people buying new cars more often than not go for the boring safe colours. manufactures have then over egg'd the range to these.

The company cars are a good example of colours picked that tend to be the boring generic ones. Speaking of which my Older Lima Green seat Ibiza was an Ex Business Lease Model.

Last edited:

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
Grey - I love the colour. Clean it looks classy (flame suit on) and it hides the dirt almost as good as silver.

The both new cars I ordered have been in plat grey metallic - the Leon pushing 13 years ago now. Personally I think Mk1 Cupra's look best in plat grey metallic. Also the Superb over three years ago - again in plat grey metallic. Fortunately a noticeably different colour. I understand why many chose different colours and random stuff such as lime greens suit only a few unique cars imo.

The Toyota is black (not through much choice - old second hand runaround) and yes black is a cracking colour (probably the best) when properly cleaned and waxed. Over the years I have had the odd black motor and get fed up with it looking grubby after a clean the next Monday morning and having to wait until the following weekend to start all over.

Once the Leon is at its end (hopefully a long time yet), my next motor will probably be another grey one - 6 series grand coupe or a CLS shooting brake. IMO the preferred choice. Another option would be a Golf R in that Lapiz blue. Not grey for everything trust me.

steveemacz FR

Dec 23, 2016
Manchester
Grey - I love the colour. Clean it looks classy (flame suit on) and it hides the dirt almost as good as silver.

The both new cars I ordered have been in plat grey metallic - the Leon pushing 13 years ago now. Personally I think Mk1 Cupra's look best in plat grey metallic. Also the Superb over three years ago - again in plat grey metallic. Fortunately a noticeably different colour. I understand why many chose different colours and random stuff such as lime greens suit only a few unique cars imo.

The Toyota is black (not through much choice - old second hand runaround) and yes black is a cracking colour (probably the best) when properly cleaned and waxed. Over the years I have had the odd black motor and get fed up with it looking grubby after a clean the next Monday morning and having to wait until the following weekend to start all over.

Once the Leon is at its end (hopefully a long time yet), my next motor will probably be another grey one - 6 series grand coupe or a CLS shooting brake. IMO the preferred choice. Another option would be a Golf R in that Lapiz blue. Not grey for everything trust me.

Haha, I suppose 13 years ago.Silver cars look attractive. They do hold their value. My first car was a 52 Reg Peugeot 206 in Silver. Bodywork in good condition, and cleaning it was easy.

I don't feel silver goes well with Modern cars. It's the shade of 1990-2010. I'm a young guy, and just attracted to brighter colours on modern cars now. Though I wouldn't buy a white car, I find it too generic (yawn). My courtesy car was a 16 reg Black Corsa, spent more time cleaning the car, got dirty after 3 days. More luxurious cars, BMWs. mercs and Audis suit the shades of Grey, black and white, as the paint schemes on these seem to be just right.

Some shades of grey like Technic Grey and moonstone grey are nice. I like Technic grey, it's got copper shades in.
SEAT is quite a lively brand of the VW group, so I do expect colours that say wow.

Last edited:

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
Yeah I'm an old duffer but tbh I'm not a fan of silver either.

I still think the Plat grey Mk1 Cupra's is the best colour but perhaps not now so much on small to medium sized motors. I think for me a clean sheet now it would be that blue your car is for a current Leon/smaller car. I do like to Lapiz blue on the Golf as well as the Nitrous blue on the Focus especially the RS.

My main caveat would be a grey on a larger exec type vehicle - CLS, 6 series as mentioned before. I think even the new Mustang looks at its best in grey.

Happy days and choices for the masses is what it all boils down to imho. In the meantime its saving pennies to clear the mortgage down again and not spend too much money on motors.

Long may the old Mk1 Leon last.

Last edited:

steveemacz FR

Dec 23, 2016
Manchester
Yeah I'm an old duffer but tbh I'm not a fan of silver either.

I still think the Plat grey Mk1 Cupra's is the best colour but perhaps not now so much on small to medium sized motors. I think for me a clean sheet now it would be that blue your car is for a current Leon/smaller car. I do like to Lapiz blue on the Golf as well as the Nitrous blue on the Focus especially the RS.

My main caveat would be a grey on a larger exec type vehicle - CLS, 6 series as mentioned before. I think even the new Mustang looks at its best in grey.

Happy days and choices for the masses is what it all boils down to imho. In the meantime its saving pennies to clear the mortgage down again and not spend too much money on motors.

Long may the old Mk1 Leon last.

Good point and useful tips too. I've just been saving a deposit up for my first property. So want to be focusing on that and making sure I have enough to pay off a mortgage, once I decide where I want to live lol.

For me , as long as motor is reasonable to pay for, reasonable to insure. Save up other money for other projects like house hunting and also to live everyday lol.

steveemacz FR

Dec 23, 2016
Manchester
Love my storm grey Leon

Speaking of grey Leon's, I saw a nice grey Leon FR(59 reg) older model in Matte grey in Birmingham. It looked like it had been car wrapped all in one colour , but this matte grey stood out even in the dark,it was very visible. I'm not a fan of grey, but I did like it, as it gave the owners Leon a uniqueness.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise