Leon fr tdi 2008 hesitates when accelerating

Mhug

Jan 24, 2018
Bolton
Hello guys new here but have been a lurker for a while.

I've just bought a 58 plate fr 170 and had it about a month now. When accelerating I get a hesitation from 3rd gear and every gear after where I try and put my foot down. More noticeably in 5th and 6th up to around 2500 revs the car vibrates when accelerating. Does anyone know what might cause this? I'm no mechanic so I guess I'm just curious what issues it could be and how much it would cost to fix.

Thanks

Mhug

Jan 24, 2018
Bolton
Thanks, so what you're say is it could be lots of different things? Do you know any where local to Manchester that will have a look without charging me an arm and a leg?

DavieTDI

Brain dead
Aug 3, 2013
kilmarnock Scotland
Am not sure when could in that area, but if your not sure when it was last serviced then I would do that first with the fuel filter and see if that does the trick.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Have read good things about AwesomeGTI. They're Manchester way. Can't say what their prices are like, but at least you'll get a decent service.

Mhug

Jan 24, 2018
Bolton
I'm going to get booked in for a full service with Awesome GTI. Ive just enquired about a full service so hopefully nothing too serious will come of it. Thanks again for the advice

Lorand02

Feb 9, 2018
Had exactly the same problem, someone told me to change the fuel filter, no diference hesitation still there, rebuild turbo hesitation gone

Mhug

Jan 24, 2018
Bolton
Was yours constantly lagging or intermittently? Mine can be okay one minute then really bad the next with no consistency...

Also how much did the reconditioning set you back? I'm reluctant to pay too much as I only bought it last month from a small dealer. I paid £4500 with only 80000 miles on the clock.... Got 6 months warranty but I've heard that they aren't worth the paper they're printed on

Lorand02

Feb 9, 2018
Could be the egr valve, when i bought the car it did hesitate a lot, only after a half hour of driving the hesitation was gone, but still came back on high rpm randomly, I took down the egr valve and throttle body and cleaned up everything over there, the hesitation on cold was gone, the one on high rpm was coming in randomly only in higher gears, when I made a remap on the car a guy over there took it for a test drive and he told me the hesitation is from the fuel filter, after changing the filter the problem was still there. A while back I was thinking to rebuild the turbo becouse I could see oil on the pipes behind the engine and it was coming from the turbo sealing and the turbo was whistling like a jet engine, I rebuild the turbo 2-3 weeks ago no hesitation problems till now. £600 was the rebuild.

Mhug

Jan 24, 2018
Bolton
Perfect, Do you reckon if I take mine in for a service they will be able to diagnose what's going on? Sorry if I sound like a noob...

Lorand02

Feb 9, 2018
I was at seat I stayed 3 hours, after 3 hours they said everything its OK. So I scratch my head and drive away, they say something about maybe egr, I told them I cleaned the egr, they say buy a new one I say whatever, then they said something about Injectors. When I did the remap on the car one guy over there told me that if I had problems with the Injectors the engine will knock badly and on tester the Injectors where working as they should. The hesitation on cold was from the egr valve but now the valve is deleted. Try to go to a tuning garage and ask them what do they think about the turbo. Does your car smoke?

Lorand02

Feb 9, 2018
Mine was smoking before the remap, white smoke and it was puffing, like choking on cold. After remap engine smooth on idle and no smoke anymore, it smokes only when it's about 0 degrees outside, for like 5 min till it warms up. Mine was smoking on idle, when the car was moving and engine 90 degrees it was OK, but when I stopped at a street light or something it smoked, after a lot of driving the smoke eventually went away, but slowly came back when the car wasn't moving.

DavieTDI

Brain dead
Aug 3, 2013
kilmarnock Scotland
Start with cheap option. Tell them what is going on and they will have a look. Don’t jump straight into blaming the expensive parts right away. It’s all good people telling you what was wrong with the car they had. But this is your car.
With me it was fuel filter that was black and starving the car of fuel at high revs. It can be a number of things so always best to get it plugged in and look at the numbers.

Mhug

Jan 24, 2018
Bolton
Have any of you guys seen these engie things? It's a Bluetooth OBD that hooks up with your phone?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.