Remote engine start

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Morning All,

Has anyone ever thought of doing a remote start system so it warms the engine/car up before you get in?

Seen quite a few systems that do all the gubbins, just wondered if anyone had the same idea.

I sometimes do small trips so the car never really gets to warm up so maybe a 5 minute idle will do it some good even when trying to stay off the turbo.

I'm not sure that idle running warms up the oil as it would if it was moving etc.

Any ideas/thoughts would be fab

It may just be one of "them" ideas but hey haha

Cheers

ray

Jan 7, 2016
If it’s frosty then yeah good idea but if it’s for warmth 10 minutes of idling is the equivalent of a few minutes driving, for me in my dirty diesel anyway. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
If it’s frosty then yeah good idea but if it’s for warmth 10 minutes of idling is the equivalent of a few minutes driving, for me in my dirty diesel anyway. :)

Yeah I bet its fun for a diesel, luckily I have a petrol so I don't know if that changes anything, it must give the car time to move oil round though...
I have seen kits for the VW Cars that allow you to do this https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen__golf/Passat-Remote-Start-Kit/63614950/561065760C.html however you need to think about car insurance because you have effectively left your car running with nobody in it and i suspect if the car got nicked they would not pay out (assuming they found it of course).
I've seen a few kits that turn the engine off if a door is opened and a key isn't inserted, it's a valid point but some of them have GPS integration so could be a tracker also...

Cheers

------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently Driving - SEAT Leon Mk2 Cupra R 2010
Previous Car - SEAT Leon Mk2 FR 2007

ray

Jan 7, 2016
Yeah your petrol will definitely heat up quicker but as far as I’ve been lead to believe leaving cars idling isn’t the best for any car. I have thought myself about sticking the spare key in and locking it but the doors won’t lock from the outside when a key is in, then I just had to learn to deal with the cold Scottish mornings like I always did, get in... freeze, start driving ASAP...slowly defrost.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Yeah your petrol will definitely heat up quicker but as far as I’ve been lead to believe leaving cars idling isn’t the best for any car. I have thought myself about sticking the spare key in and locking it but the doors won’t lock from the outside when a key is in, then I just had to learn to deal with the cold Scottish mornings like I always did, get in... freeze, start driving ASAP...slowly defrost.

I see people talking both sides, most say stay off the turbo till warm some say they idle for a while for oil to flow... It's all a little muddled.

When your car is frozen over you always let it idle whilst you defrost I bet everyone does that... Even more so up north haha I bet you've had some lovely snow recently!

Cheers

ray

Jan 7, 2016
I read an article about it and basically letting it idle isn’t really bad for your car but it’s not really worth it as for me my car literally takes 5 mins+ to heat up (as in heat from the vents) when driving, but sitting idle when it’s -5 will take an age.

Just start it up, scrape the front and side windows and get going.

I did buy a plug in heater to help in the mornings but it was a waste of time, supposed to clear the windscreen but I could blow air faster than this thing.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I read an article about it and basically letting it idle isn’t really bad for your car but it’s not really worth it as for me my car literally takes 5 mins+ to heat up (as in heat from the vents) when driving, but sitting idle when it’s -5 will take an age.

Just start it up, scrape the front and side windows and get going.

I did buy a plug in heater to help in the mornings but it was a waste of time, supposed to clear the windscreen but I could blow air faster than this thing.

Haha I saw them heaters on eBay, decided against it in the end.

I've noticed that since I put a dehumidifier bag under my passenger seat everything seems to be clearing a lot quicker after the ice has gone... You don't happen to know where my air leaking door seal is do you haha

Cheers

ray

Jan 7, 2016
Sorry mate I don’t, but I do have wind deflectors on the car and I don’t really have any moisture buildup inside. Hazarding a guess it’s along the top of the door seal but a complete guess.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Sorry mate I don’t, but I do have wind deflectors on the car and I don’t really have any moisture buildup inside. Hazarding a guess it’s along the top of the door seal but a complete guess.

Now that's an idea... Do you find the wind deflectors make lots of noise? If you got another car would you get them again?
Clifford do these
I saw their site as I was looking for other stuff, it looks good! You bought from these guys before?

Cheers

ray

Jan 7, 2016
Nah they deffo helped with the wind noise, my bro got me them for my birthday just after I got the car, I do have them for the rear windows too but no clips and never got around to finding them.

Would absolutely say they make a difference for reducing the wind noise on the motorways especially. Whether or not they help stop moisture getting in or not I don’t know, but IMO they make a difference.

Would probably put them on my next car, depending on what it is.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Nah they deffo helped with the wind noise, my bro got me them for my birthday just after I got the car, I do have them for the rear windows too but no clips and never got around to finding them.

Would absolutely say they make a difference for reducing the wind noise on the motorways especially. Whether or not they help stop moisture getting in or not I don’t know, but IMO they make a difference.

Would probably put them on my next car, depending on what it is.

Your advice is much appreciated, I'll get me a pair and see what's what...

You got the heko ones?

Cheers

ray

Jan 7, 2016
I think they’re heko I’m no sure, I’ll have a look and get back to you, should really get my finger out and sort the back ones lol.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I think they’re heko I’m no sure, I’ll have a look and get back to you, should really get my finger out and sort the back ones lol.

Your finger should never be in haha I'm about to update my RNS310 with a 50 50 chance of bricking it due to no instructions from my version lol

This is why I like SEAT lol it always a little project!

Cheers

ray

Jan 7, 2016
I wanted to update mine but never bothered, the biggest annoyance is having all the Bluetooth buttons but no functionality for it!

And aye they’re heko ones, the fronts just pop in but the rears need a holding clip if your getting them so as soon as the rear windows go down they fall out.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I wanted to update mine but never bothered, the biggest annoyance is having all the Bluetooth buttons but no functionality for it!

And aye they’re heko ones, the fronts just pop in but the rears need a holding clip if your getting them so as soon as the rear windows go down they fall out.

Yeah lack of voice for music is mildly annoying but the system is easy to use so it doesn't bother me that much, I'd like the current road speed on the nav though hence the reason to upgrade.

I'll make sure I have clips for the rears before trying lol nothing like driving down the motorway and loosing wind deflectors haha

Cheers

ray

Jan 7, 2016
I just mean my head unit isn’t one that supports Bluetooth nor does it have it built in, even though I have all the buttons on the wheel for Bluetooth. But to be honest, I very rarely need to take phone calls which is why I’ve never bothered much with it.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.