Parts for sale...

Kambo

Mar 28, 2013
Hants
So what if somebody decides to arrange a sale on the forum and decides to send a PayPal payment and gets ripped off?

There is no measure in place to stop anybody doing it that way is there, so you would be relying on people to operate that way and you can't guarantee it won't happen, before long there will be a post on the site from somebody complaining about being ripped off having paid via PayPal

If people want to do that then obviously its there own fault if it goes pete tong, if they come crying to you then it'll be no different if another member contacts you regarding another problem i.e issue with forum etc I know its hassle on your side...

But, having it collect in person takes it out of your hands, all you need to do is have a parts (for collection/deliver) section with no threads bar one which makes you click a link which shows you the disclaimer page telling you outright in big bold writing whatever you want inc do not use paypal or contact admin with any issues, if they tick and agree then they get to view the parts page, again it will reiterate its between them and not this forum, if they still (probably will get one) uses paypal then quite simply - tough, if the person makes the travel and gets greeted with a part not as described then as no money has been handed over they turn around and head back home, feedback page/rep might help a bit here

Having a good few number of posts to be able to agree to the terms might help aswell, anyone with less will only see a link saying click me to get greeted with up your posts

If people want a part they will make the effort to travel, if its too far to make the effort then tough, someone closer gets it

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
Brilliant in theory, but call me a cynical sod, but im wondering how long until the mods/admins inboxes start to get the "Ive been ripped off" pm's like before... for what its worth i Know both m0rk AND ZBoyd as well as the rest of the mod team have tried to resolve things for buyers in the past, sometimes it works. sometimes the seller just disappears. The guys that own this site feel deeply about the site , hence it still being here after all these years. i know it irks them when the site gets dragged down by this kind of occurance, they are after all enthusiasts and being such want what they deem to be the best for the site as a whole. at the time, the demise of the Parts Sales area was seen as the best.
IF they decide to run it again in whatever guise, im sure it will be welcomed, but hopefully not abused.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2011
the Wirral
aslong as you pay via paypal for goods, NOT via the gift option then the money will be protected by paypal.

So any attempted rip off will be sorted by paypal themselves. Like a refund and or the police too.

Kambo

Mar 28, 2013
Hants
True but put this way, you will get much much less pm's as no paypal is involved, if anyone wants to stifle another member on here with dodgy goods then if I was them I would think twice as the buyer knows where he is going but the seller doesn't know where they are coming from...things get resolved more easily if it comes to 'that' when its local...just saying

You guys spend enough time cleaning up the topics, I would imagine a fair chunk of them are just cleaning up or replying to "where's the parts section?" no different here expect people will know where to go so they have no reason to bother you

No cash handed over so no reason to contact you, if the item is scrap then the buyer knows where to go to, get them to do a receipt, if it goes any further for claims then they have proof, again no reason to contact admin

You're gonna get people moan on forums no matter what is being said or sold, no one wants to see good helpful forums reputation take a hit, so I'm sure people will help out where needed? If someone local wants help to pick up something they are not sure about then ask away, alot of us about to help out

RaviR50

Aug 15, 2012
Southampton
not so much about a parts for sale section but couldn't we have like a list of most popular places to get parts? that way forum members can suggest places and the mods shouldn't get any flack from silly people.

might be a silly idea but at least the mods wont be taking any responsibility for what members suggest?

Most other fourms have them and the sellers have to take a photo with there user name written out on a piece of paper or something next to the item for sale and have a price (no open to offers ****) plus more before the admin team/mods will allow the thread to be posted.

This not a good idea?

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
Guys, Im pretty sure ;) that all these ideas have been discussed at some point , either by the moderating team prior to the closure or in the miriad of threads since.

IF and when the sales area is reopened, Im sure everyone will know, and the conditions will be set out accordingly.

BeezaDave

LimerickHurlingSupporter
Jul 29, 2009
Limerick/Dublin Ireland
The suggestion the OP would not work for some members not living in Britain. For example, 90% of the parts I've bought have come from Britain, making it impossible for me to meet someone in person for the sale.

Great news to hear that a trial period may be on the cards, here's hoping :)

bkingb

Apr 29, 2012
kent
could get people people advertise their link for sale from ebay and to do this people who have to pay yearly £10 i suppose for upgrade membership. this way people would buy from ebay at their own risk just as you would any other item. plus with ebay you have sellers and buyer protection if you pay via paypal.

Roganjosh

Jan 1, 2013
For sale sections work perfectly well on all forums iv used in the past, great way for members to swap about mods they dont want anymore/breaking before selling etc, what seems to work is just simply have a minimum of 150 post count before selling, and every picture must have your username on paper to prove its your item, another forum had a "subscriber policy" where you got extra benefits like acess to an exclusive section on the site, forum discounts and the ability to be able to sell items, it cost a couple of quid a month to have this benefit
This is the first forum iv come across where you cant buy and sell off it! with set rules theres no reason why it shouldnt work and if in doubt, dont buy it!! If somebody purchases something via paypal and uses the gift option they are just asking for it, its about as usefull as sending cash in the post......

ChrisG656

Leon FR TDi... Awesome.
Mar 3, 2013
Suffolk
Whoa now hold on... 150 post count? Seems a bit harsh. Im a regular member on other car forums for my previous cars. For example: Astra Owners Club, Zetec S Owners Club, ClioSport.net to name a few (ClioSport... Childish) and I have racked up big post counts on them but I did regulary buy and sell parts, with NO negative points towards the bits I have sold.

I have just bought a Leon FR... So does that mean I'm not trustworthy because I'm new to THIS forum?

I do think that sending money by PayPal gift is silly but its up to the buyer to make that decision. If your silly enough to send money with no guarantee, your silly enough to be ripped off. Not that anyone deserves it, but you need to be sensible!

ClioSport is a joke but this is a warning message on ALL the 'For Sale' Threads they have just for piece of mind:

"***This message is automatically inserted in all marketplace forum threads. ***

By replying to this thread you agree to abide by the trading rules detailed here.

Please be advised, all buyers and sellers should satisfy themselves that the other party is genuine by providing the following via PM to each other prior to dispatching goods and making payment:

1) Landline telephone number. Make a call to check out the area code and number are correct too!
2) Name and address including postcode
3) Valid e-mail address

DO NOT proceed with a deal until you are completely satisfied with all details being correct. It's in your best interest to check out these details yourself.

Posting images is in the best interests of both parties. This makes it clearer what is being bought and sold and helps identify any marks.

We also strongly advise against using PayPal Gift. If you use this method you have zero comeback with PayPal should the sale not go plan. This calculator will help you to work out what to pay someone, so they get the correct amount AFTER fees.

If you want to pay someone £10 for a few detailing bits then you pay them £10.56. Is 56p really worth worrying about? That won't even buy you a Mars bar.
If those things never arrive or you get them and they're not as described, then you can file a claim with PayPal and they'll handle everything and 99% of the time as the buyer, you will get your money back.

Paying £300 for a set of wheels with super dooper track tyres that will improve your commute time? For the seller to receive his £300, you'll need to pay an extra £10.77. That's very little for peace of mind, so take our advice and AVOID PAYPAL GIFT!

ClioSport and its staff are not responsible for these adverts or any sales conducted via ClioSport and you do so entirely at your own risk."

Which is fair enough I think you'll agree?

xDaNx

Also now when you pay by PayPal gift it even warns you that you're not covered for buyer protection, how many more warnings do you need?

If you do happened to get ripped off and you've paid the fees etc then as mentioned above 99.9% of the time they will side with the buyer and you have nothing to worry about, the person attempting to scam doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.