MK3 vs MK4 Reliablity buyer's question!

Smego

hi all, i'm looking at getting at Mk4 TDI probably the cupra, but having had a few problems with my mk3 ibiza cupra i'm wondering what problems you TDI owners have had as a comparison? i've had to replace coil pack, water pump impeller, leaking steering pump, rear brakes that clog up with brake dust quite often ruining the pads, elecy windows malfunction, airbag slip ring replaced etc etc

Will I see a similar list with a MK4?? just thinkin about the maintenance cost.

Cheers! :)

Chri5B

Scraping my undertray...
Oct 7, 2002
Staffs
www.cxi.org.uk
I'm at a smidge under 75,000 miles in my MK4 TDi Sport, which was new in Jan 2003.

Warranty wise, I had new droplinks on an ARB. I'm trying to think if I've had anything else done but if I have, it escapes me right now.

Out of warranty, I've replaced both sets of bushes for the front wishbone which cost me approx £200 (mainly labour).

Touch wood, it's always started on request and never let me down.

HTH,

Chris.

Johnsey

SNAFU
Dec 23, 2003
Here & There
www.google.com
73k on my 52 TDI Sport and the repairs have included: new gearbox, new ARB and droplinks, too many climate control motors to remember, and the obligatory rear wash pipe a couple of times all of which were done under warranty

Sisson

Club member
Aug 18, 2005
Derbyshire
53 plate Ibiza TDI Sport, 32,000 miles

Issues so far: Rear washer pipe disconnected twice,

Apparently my front, back wishone bushes need changing aswell,

Thats it touch wood,

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
53 Plate 130 Sport = 52000 Miles

Central Door locking module for drivers door doesnt know when the door is open. Therefore locks itself thinking its never been opened (warranty - being fixed)

Leaky passenger door seal (Fixed by Ted Johnson yesterday :D)

Wishbone rear bushes need replacing - non warranty i think? But Cupra's have solid bushes rather than the stupid ones sports have.

Chri5B

Scraping my undertray...
Oct 7, 2002
Staffs
www.cxi.org.uk
For you folks that need new bushes, just found my other post from when I had my Powerflex bushes put in last month:

Cost me £215 at ABP Motorsport (near Crewe) who I would certainly use again. I had both sets of bushes on the front wishbone done as the labour was the same (£135), so it made sense to get the others done whilst they were at it.

Dealer wanted around £300 for just one set of bushes, so I'd certainly recommend going outside the dealer channel.

gazjones

not a tdi but few of the same problems i think mine ight have the most anoying so hear goes 54 plate fr 20vt 8600 miles
A washer pipe poped off once
B starter motor cable snapped
C turbo to manifold bolts fell out
D threw up airbag warning light and 30 other faults for no real reason cos batery was disconected
E exhaust bent waiting on news for warrenty claim
but its still worth it for me most things are just little petty things

MAdMAtt84

Aug 9, 2004
Canterbury, Kent
03 (53 Plate) TDI Sport which i have owned from 6.7k now on 29k and taking her from kent to glasgow this weekend (28th May 06), so far:

Let me think:

Rear wash wipe pipe fell off (they also padded it out due to rattles - sub hehe)
Cup Holder Jammed in :S

My Previous TDi also a mk4 ibiza,

Passenger seatbelt had to be replaced due to getting stuck
Problems with gearbox (H plate) - gear selection

Im sure there have been others, silly little things really over all between the two cars they have spent about 2-4 days at the dealers over the time i had them.

Newer cars these days, build to look good but often cheap comparitively to older cars such as my mk2 polo which ran n ran never breaking down even after 15yrs!

Overall pretty good me thinks, will be looking into extended warranty later this year if i can as the TDI engine bay is so tight any part that needs doing maybe cheap enough on its own but its the labour often involved in fitting the thing.

MAtt

Jan 29, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
As above...
53reg Fabia vRS... 70k miles

Only problem i had was a failed MAP sensor. (which could have been due to fmic fitment so not really an issue)

rest is general wear and tear... wishbone bushes, arb droplinks etc
despite much punishment im still on the original clutch :)

car has never let me down, even with the fmic issues and the MAP, it still worked in limp mode :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.