Tools to replace LCR Front Brake Pads

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
I've read the fitting guide and searched (been here long enough to know to do that :p) the forum but I can't find any info on what tools I need to change the brake pads on my LCR Brembos.

Also, when I did my Cupra brakes I bought a piston rewind tool, will this work on the brembos? Is it needed? I'm guessing not as the the caliper doesn't get removed so the disc would be in the way.

Will be doing this tomorrow and then booking MOT for Wednesday and Tax day after.

God knows how people manage to spend £1000's on random mods! Maybe cos I have a house I dunno.

wayne lcr

bored of it now
Mar 5, 2009
doncaster
iam sure its 2 torx bolts behind the caliper .think they are either t 40 or t45 then you need a thin punch to knock the pins out the front that holds the pad retainer in and i think i used a pair of mole grips or stilsens to easy the pistons back

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
you don't need to remove the caliper or anything; just knock the 2 pins out with a punch and hammer, push the pistons back in by hand with the cap off the master cylinder, copper grease the new pads and put them in. Put the pins and retaining clip back in and your done :)

Android109

All the tools I used were a hammer, a punch like above and, er, a bit of tapered 2" x 1" pine, if that can be called a tool. I got the pins out OK after a little encouragement from the punch and hammer; struggled a bit with the pads themselves, hence the wood to nudge/pry/waggle the pads out without apparently doing any harm. Not sure if it's advisable, but it worked for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
All it really mentions are:

Jack (obviously)
Plastic tweezers (to remove wheel nut covers)
Punch (but not what size of anything)
Screwdriver (if needed use with old pad to lever pistons back)

Seems a lot easier and less hassle than a standard caliper, but I guess maybe that's for ease due to maybe the setup being more race/track focused than a standard car caliper?

Thanks for the info guys, helpful as always :)

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
They are easier than the norm. Just use a nice flat end bunch and make sure the pins go in same way and sit in the same position and leave the fluid cap off the brake resvoir when pushing the pistons back. The job only gets a bit harder when doing discs as well, as my caliper mounting bolts were horrendously tight and only the might of the impact gun got them off a 28inch breaker was useless!

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
They are easier than the norm. Just use a nice flat end bunch and make sure the pins go in same way and sit in the same position and leave the fluid cap off the brake resvoir when pushing the pistons back. The job only gets a bit harder when doing discs as well, as my caliper mounting bolts were horrendously tight and only the might of the impact gun got them off a 28inch breaker was useless!

I had a similar experience with the caliper bolts, though a 12ft scaffold bar over a breaker bar worked a treat :D

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
I struggled to get my LC calipers off, tried for an hour and gave up, went back to it after a coffee and realised I was trying wrong way...... embarrassing.

Is ther nothing holding these pins in then? Sounds a bit worrying!

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
the pins have a kind of taper on the far end that locks them in place - hence they need tapping in and out with a hammer. Can't really explain the taper thing - you will see what I mean when you take them out :)

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
There are sprung metal "O" ring things on the end of the pins that compress when pushed in to their holes, they hold the pins in untill you tap them out.

that is a far better description than mine! :)

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
Ok I'm tapping the top pin from the side of the caliper facing away from the car and it's not moving at all. Any advice?

ArosaRacer

Wee man returns in a fL mk2 cupra
Aug 28, 2005
Bayview, Kent
when your looking at the caliper face you'll see the edge of the pins, i used a 4 mm allen key and tapped them from the wheel side to the insde. There is a sprung clip as well if you push it down near the clip it takes the tension of and allows the pins to slide out.

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
Ok managed to do that side but was a right arse getting that pin out, and one of the pads, proper welded in.

Now I've come to do the other side after having tea and the top bit is flat, not sure if I'm going to be able to get it out at all, being hitting it more and it's just warping worse.

Grrr.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.