seat Ibiza - diagnostic problem

JudeRyan

Hi Help please!

Seat Ibiza 1.4 petrol 2004, 108k miles

engine type: BBY

serviced 2 months ago at seat dealer- engine light appeared - mechanic mentioned something about the engine taking in too much air 9.1 instead of 5.1
he said he fixed the problem twice he didnt - it appeared on screen half an hour after leaving showroom three times on same day!

took to another mechanic he said the EGR valve was loosely connected he reconnected it and the fault disappeared - fault cleared but 20 minutes later it reappeared.

took back yesterday to get hte fault codes (there are now 2 faults there was only one before)

16786 P0402 Excessive flow detected
16555 (new fault) fuel trim bank 1 too lean

he has suggested that he will remove and clean out the EGR valve and reset adaptions but if this doesnt work what shouldl be done?

does anyone know ...please help the car is due a mot tomorrow! i'm afraid of it failing because of this engine light problem

the car is running fine - i cant notice a problem with it

thanks

robreidmotors

RobReid
May 10, 2008
Lancashire
Hi mate

Found this on the net, i have no idea where or what the dpfe sensor is...a quick and cheap attempt would be to detach the air inlet from the throttle body, spray copious amounts of throttle body cleaner in whilst revving at about 3k and see what happens, this will give it a good clean, and hopefully youll see lots of black crap come out of the exhaust. Doing this might help clean the EGR (see below). its only £5 for a can.

What does that mean?

EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation. It is part of the vehicle emmissions system, and is used to reduce combustion temperature and pressure to control Oxides of Nitrogen. There are generally three parts to the EGR system: the EGR valve, an actuator solenoid, and a differential pressure sensor (DPF). These things work together to deliver the correct amount of recirculation based on engine temperature, load, etc. The P0402 code means that OBD detected an excessive amount of EGR.

Symptoms

You may notice drivability problems such as the engine may surge off idle. There may also be other symptoms.
Causes

A code P0402 most likely means one or more of the following has happened:

* The DPFE (differential pressure) sensor is faulty and needs to be replaced
* There is a blockage in the EGR (most likely carbon buildup)
* The EGR valve is faulty
* The EGR valve may not be opening due to a lack of vaccuum

Possible Solutions

With a P0402, it is common for people to replace the EGR valve, only to have the problem return. The most likely solution is to replace the DPFE sensor.

* Check the voltage at the DPFE sensor both at idle and when the EGR is open
* Replace the DPFE sensor

Al_Cordoba_King

Jun 22, 2014
Sorry for digging up an old thread but did you ever correct the CEL?
I've the same problem with my Seat Cordoba 1.4l 2006, had a look at the ecg, seems to be clean as a whistle..

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.