Changed my sidelights and DRL on 2012 Leon FR+ to LEDs and no errors :)

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I just thought I would let people know that I have just changed my sidelights and daytime running lights to LEDs (will compare the colour to my Xenons tonight) and I don't have any errors. Lots of people seem to be having errors, so I thought you would like to know what has worked for me.

The items were all from HIDS-direct on ebay.

I used...

CANBUS 382 (P21W) 27 WHITE SMD LED ERROR FREE BULBS

and

CANBUS 501 (W5W) 8 WHITE SMD LED ERROR FREE BULBS

Nice and bright, I also have some

MTEC 9006 HB4 55w Cosmos Blue HID class xenon gas bulbs ( 220412756904 )

for the foglights, but haven't got round to changing them yet, I've read its rather tricky

All 3 sets came to £42.43 including postage.

Just bought the exact same bulbs near enough, although went for the 30 LED sidelights as opposed to the 25. Crossed fingers they look right.

Saw someone else on here who had the DRL's which created a cross hair effect but can't find them anywhere :(

Dec 28, 2011
Cairo, Egypt
I'll be purchasing 55W fog light bulbs from hids-direct as soon as I sort out my Master Card issue. The company claims that the bulbs produce 4750 kelvins and I hope that is true so it would match my HIDs.

I also purchased LED sidelights from them before and they worked absolutely fine with no canbus errors or anything whatsoever.

CJcupra

Jan 11, 2013
Surrey
I just thought I would let people know that I have just changed my sidelights and daytime running lights to LEDs (will compare the colour to my Xenons tonight) and I don't have any errors. Lots of people seem to be having errors, so I thought you would like to know what has worked for me.

The items were all from HIDS-direct on ebay.

I used...

CANBUS 382 (P21W) 27 WHITE SMD LED ERROR FREE BULBS

and

CANBUS 501 (W5W) 8 WHITE SMD LED ERROR FREE BULBS

Nice and bright, I also have some

MTEC 9006 HB4 55w Cosmos Blue HID class xenon gas bulbs ( 220412756904 )

for the foglights, but haven't got round to changing them yet, I've read its rather tricky

All 3 sets came to £42.43 including postage.

Hi mate, I'm assuming you've put the 27white LED canbus 382 in as your DRL?

Cheers

Darth Revan

I have these ones in my '12 FR+ and what a difference they make :)

501 ERROR FREE 5* SMD LED SIDELIGHTS BULBS (side lights)
CANBUS 382 (P21W) 27 WHITE SMD LED ERROR FREE BULBS (DRL)

Both from HIDS-DIRECT

Last edited:

jmc1976

Jan 8, 2013
wakefield, west yorks
I have these ones in my '12 FR+ and what a difference they make :)

501 ERROR FREE 5* SMD LED SIDELIGHTS BULBS (side lights)
CANBUS 382 (P21W) 27 WHITE SMD LED ERROR FREE BULBS (DRL)

Both from HIDS-DIRECT

hi darth do these lights still work ok and are they a nice match for the headlights
or does anyone know of some that may be better?

Last edited:

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
Just been searching for a post on LED replacements for the rather yellow DRL/sidelights (especially when you have Xenons too) and came across this post. Just before I order those above them HID Direct wanted to check if anyone has had any issues after having them fitted for a while now?

Dale - Did you manage to resolve your issue with the error you had? I don't really fancy having to turn off my auto lights often to clear an error

Darth - Are yours still working without any issues? I noticed you 5 SMT LED rather then 8 SMT LED for the DRL, does it matter or is it just done to personal opinion?

jmc1976

Jan 8, 2013
wakefield, west yorks
Just been searching for a post on LED replacements for the rather yellow DRL/sidelights (especially when you have Xenons too) and came across this post. Just before I order those above them HID Direct wanted to check if anyone has had any issues after having them fitted for a while now?

Dale - Did you manage to resolve your issue with the error you had? I don't really fancy having to turn off my auto lights often to clear an error

Darth - Are yours still working without any issues? I noticed you 5 SMT LED rather then 8 SMT LED for the DRL, does it matter or is it just done to personal opinion?

Hi martin ive had these in for a while now and there working fine with no errors .
The only thing i can complain about is the absolutely diabolical service and woeful incompetence i had to endure from hids direct if they do manage to get your order right first time you might be lucky ,but i will certainly not be buying anything from them again .
Bulbs work and look great though.
Good luck.

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Did you order through their website or eBay? And did you contact them by phone or email?

I've only ever bought off their eBay and dealt through the eBay messaging system so it's all logged - I've had first class service every time. Every order I've placed has been with me next day.

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
Hi martin ive had these in for a while now and there working fine with no errors .
The only thing i can complain about is the absolutely diabolical service and woeful incompetence i had to endure from hids direct if they do manage to get your order right first time you might be lucky ,but i will certainly not be buying anything from them again .
Bulbs work and look great though.
Good luck.

Thanks for the update Jmc, good to hear they are running OK. Sounds like you had a bit of a pain getting yours, on the positive side at least they didn't error I suppose.

For the DRL (501) did you go for the 5 SMD LED or 8 SMD LED? Any idea if it matters which you get?

Last edited:

jmc1976

Jan 8, 2013
wakefield, west yorks
Did you order through their website or eBay? And did you contact them by phone or email?

I've only ever bought off their eBay and dealt through the eBay messaging system so it's all logged - I've had first class service every time. Every order I've placed has been with me next day.

hi jarre to keep a long story short I ordered over the phone on a next day delivery which was fine and they arrived really early so I was quite pleased but the drls were the wrong, the pins on the bayonet were off centre instead of parallel ,so I called them to get them swapped and they said I would have to pay again and get a refund later or wait till they receive the incorrect ones back, they sent more out but only on first class not on overnight as my order also they never turned up , after several phone calls I found out they had not put the house number or street name on the packet so to this day ive still not received them . they then said they would send some more on an overnight ,I called the next day to find he never even sent them . so they sent some more on an over night again with a prepaid envelope to send the incorrect ones back ,which did arrive . I sent the incorrect ones back in there pre paid envelope with tracking for my refund which they claim they didn't receive but did finally refund after I complained further .
so what was probably an innocent mistake in the beginning turned out to be a 4 week long pain in the arse .maybe I was just unlucky but 1 person there I wont mention his name is a complete incompetent #x#x#x#

jmc1976

Jan 8, 2013
wakefield, west yorks
Thanks for the update Jmc, good to hear they are running OK. Sounds like you had a bit of a pain getting yours, on the positive side at least they didn't error I suppose.

For the DRL (501) did you go for the 5 SMD LED or 8 SMD LED? Any idea if it matters which you get?

hi martin I went for the 5 smd that darth recommended and they look great , I don't know the difference between the 5 and the 8 , I can take a picture if you want.

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
hi martin I went for the 5 smd that darth recommended and they look great , I don't know the difference between the 5 and the 8 , I can take a picture if you want.

Cool, well I'll probably go with the 5 ones you and Darth have got work if they work well and look good.

The only thing I noticed while looking at them on eBay is that the compatibility check says says they are not compatible with the Leon! I'm just assuming they are wrong or do I have the wrong ones?

DRL...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANBUS-38...les_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f1caedf3b#vi-ilComp

Sidelights...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANBUS-50...les_CarParts_SM&hash=item564bdbf2aa#vi-ilComp

jmc1976

Jan 8, 2013
wakefield, west yorks
Cool, well I'll probably go with the 5 ones you and Darth have got work if they work well and look good.

The only thing I noticed while looking at them on eBay is that the compatibility check says says they are not compatible with the Leon! I'm just assuming they are wrong or do I have the wrong ones?

DRL...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANBUS-38...les_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f1caedf3b#vi-ilComp

Sidelights...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANBUS-50...les_CarParts_SM&hash=item564bdbf2aa#vi-ilComp

hi martin
they look like the correct ones to me but can't be sure to be honest ,
1 thing though I didn't pay that much for mine and if you are getting them from hids direct I just looked at there web site and you can get 10% off .

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
I have them DRL bulbs and they work no problem!

Their website will be less due to eBay fees, but if you have a problem with your order it is so much easier to get things sorted through eBay!

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.