Just bought a 2010 Cupra R with 60,000 miles - what’s the first thing I should do?

T0ma5

Jan 27, 2018
I’m new here, long time lurker. Would appreciate some advice.

My new car has done 60,000 miles. It has a full service history and has recently had a new cambelt and water pump. Overall, it’s in great condition and drives great.

I’ve read some horror stories on these forums concerning the timing chain/tensioner. Is this something I should get checked out and possibly replaced at a SEAT dealer as a precaution? What do you guys think?

Is there any other essential maintenance anyone would suggest for a car with this engine and of this age?

Really appreciate the help guys!

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I also have a 2010 Cupra R so congrats!

I was told to change the cam follower, like mine the cam belt and pump had been done.

I'd not heard about the belt so be looking to see what comes of this thread.

Cheers

T0ma5

Jan 27, 2018
I also have a 2010 Cupra R so congrats!

I was told to change the cam follower, like mine the cam belt and pump had been done.

I'd not heard about the belt so be looking to see what comes of this thread.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply.

Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for the new cam follower?

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Thanks for the reply.

Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for the new cam follower?
I'm yet to have it fitted but if you post for it in the listers section on the dealers bit they will quote you, it was mid 30's I think without fitting. Shouldn't be more than an hours labour.

Cheers

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Armrest - £140.00 inc VAT

Cam follower including HPFP gasket - £36.90 inc VAT

My Ref:53079

01905 346808

That's the info I got from listers, hope it helps

Cheers

T0ma5

Jan 27, 2018
Armrest - £140.00 inc VAT

Cam follower including HPFP gasket - £36.90 inc VAT

My Ref:53079

01905 346808

That's the info I got from listers, hope it helps

Cheers

Mate, that’s a huge help, thanks very much.

Armrest for £140? Did your cupra r not come with an armrest either? I was looking to pick on up. £140 sounds like a decent price for that.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Mate, that’s a huge help, thanks very much.

Armrest for £140? Did your cupra r not come with an armrest either? I was looking to pick on up. £140 sounds like a decent price for that.
Armrest in a Leon whatever are you thinking haha nah mine doesn't have many of the goodies. You still got the RNS310 installed in yours? If so I can let you know an sd card for the latest maps for about £30 and I've also got a firmware recovery cd if you wanted to update it.

Where abouts you from if you don't mind me asking? Got a pic of your beauty?

Cheers

Currently Driving - SEAT Leon Mk2 Cupra R 2010
Previous Car - SEAT Leon Mk2 FR 2007

Last edited:

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Also a few things you may want to look at

Ross tech VCDS
https://m.gendan.co.uk/product_VCV23.html

Revo Stage 1 Remap
https://www.revotechnik.com/product-details/software/seat/leon-mk2-2005-2012/123/stage-1

LED Interior Lights
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/282782652732

Updating the standard RNS-310 head unit
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=390707

Cheers

T0ma5

Jan 27, 2018
Armrest in a Leon whatever are you thinking haha nah mine doesn't have many of the goodies. You still got the RNS310 installed in yours? If so I can let you know an sd card for the latest maps for about £30 and I've also got a firmware recovery cd if you wanted to update it.

Where abouts you from if you don't mind me asking? Got a pic of your beauty?

Cheers

Northamptonshire. Not sure how you upload images but mines metallic blue with black rims. Really love the look of it. How bout yourself?

I just picked it up the other day so it’s going into my local dealership tomorrow for a general health check but I’m going to ask them about the timing chain/tensioner while I’m there because I used to own a MK2 FR and that’s how that died (about 80,000 miles).

Out of interest, do you know how to stream music through the media player using Bluetooth? I’ve connected my phone and I can make calls but can’t seem to get the music to play.

I appreciate the advice mate.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Northamptonshire. Not sure how you upload images but mines metallic blue with black rims. Really love the look of it. How bout yourself?

I just picked it up the other day so it’s going into my local dealership tomorrow for a general health check but I’m going to ask them about the timing chain/tensioner while I’m there because I used to own a MK2 FR and that’s how that died (about 80,000 miles).

Out of interest, do you know how to stream music through the media player using Bluetooth? I’ve connected my phone and I can make calls but can’t seem to get the music to play.

I appreciate the advice mate.

Does it look a little like mine lol

e0a9c8fe33bb392c06a88d8dde276bc3.jpg

f7675b5e3769b90b6fa0737cb388e38c.jpg

Nice and close to me then, I'm rocking around in rutland and used to work in Rushden...

Mines got a health check tomorrow as I'm off for a drive to Germany for a few days lol mine had the cam belt and pump done in October but that's not ideal waiting 7 years to do it so just double checking. With regards to audio from your phone I'm unsure I'll have to check mine as I use an ipod. When you boot your stereo up does it say multimedia 2.0 or 2.1? I assume you can make calls etc fine?

Cheers

T0ma5

Jan 27, 2018
Ha, looks exactly like that! Nice pics.

Had the health check today, all good. They said as long as I keep it topped up with decent oil and service it regularly, I shouldn’t have any problems with the timing chain/tensioner (which was my main concern).

When I boot up my stereo it’s says 2.0. Do you know the difference between 2.0 and 2.1? I have my phone connected via bluetooth and there’s an option on my stereo for ‘Bluetooth audio’ but I can’t seem to get it to work.

Last edited:

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Ha, looks exactly like that! Nice pics.

Had the health check today, all good. They said as long as I keep it topped up with decent oil and service it regularly, I shouldn’t have any problems with the timing chain/tensioner (which was my main concern).

When I boot up my stereo it’s says 2.0. Do you know the difference between 2.0 and 2.1? I have my phone connected via bluetooth and there’s an option on my stereo for ‘Bluetooth audio’ but I can’t seem to get it to work.

Haha thanks very much!

Good news on the health check, mines in tomorrow to see what's what before I drive to Germany in it for a few days. Yep oil change every service. Did you get around to checking your cam follower? Mines being changed tomorrow if there is any wear.

OK so from what I've found through searching endlessly on Google, you have the RNS310 as 2.1 is the rns315 I think. What model phone you got and what os version is it on? iOS or android name. I ask as I work in IT so could probably match the device from work I my car to check.

Cheers

T0ma5

Jan 27, 2018
Technician told me not to worry about the cam follower. Apparently 60,000 miles isn’t that much so doesn’t need to be replaced. I’ll take his word for it.

Thanks for the info on the stereo. I have an iPhone X iOS 11.2.5. Do you think it could be my stereo that needs an update or replacing?

I just find it odd that it has a Bluetooth audio option right there in the menu but it doesn’t seem to do anything.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Technician told me not to worry about the cam follower. Apparently 60,000 miles isn’t that much so doesn’t need to be replaced. I’ll take his word for it.

Thanks for the info on the stereo. I have an iPhone X iOS 11.2.5. Do you think it could be my stereo that needs an update or replacing?

I just find it odd that it has a Bluetooth audio option right there in the menu but it doesn’t seem to do anything.

Well mines done 30k so ill get them to look at mine and then you can judge lol

Maybe the 310 is too old to communicate with the X for audio streaming (although that doesn't make sense) , I think we have a user at work with one I'll try and test it with an iPhone 8 to see what's what when it gets out the garage. One would assume the old units may not like new tech haha

Cheers

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I just picked it up the other day so it’s going into my local dealership tomorrow for a general health check but I’m going to ask them about the timing chain/tensioner while I’m there because I used to own a MK2 FR and that’s how that died (about 80,000 miles)

So in hindsight, were there any warning signs the tensioner was about to give?

T0ma5

Jan 27, 2018
So in hindsight, were there any warning signs the tensioner was about to give?

Yes and no.

It’s obvious when the problem starts but once you notice it, it’s usually too late.

Mine started out with a growling sound (coming from the engine, not the exhaust!) when starting the engine from cold. As soon as the engine was running, the noise stopped.

After a while, this progressed to a growling sound when starting the engine hot or cold and then eventually, the growling from the engine started to happen when I was driving, usually when accelerating at low RPM.

I can only describe the sound as a mechanical, rattling kind of growl. You can’t miss it.

Long story short, after many trips to the dealer, they determined that the timing chain and tensioner were f*cked and I’d be looking at £5-£6k for repairs to various engine components - a write off basically.

Scary thing is the car had a FSH and was well looked after.

I hope you never encounter it.

elnigel

Nov 25, 2002
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Visit site
Hi, I have a 2010 Cupra. Had it for a while so have learnt a bit about it.

You can't stream Bluetooth on a 310, I read the stereo instructions, it literally says don't use the streaming button as it doesn't work (so why did they put it on the menu!?!)

Also the 2010 Cupra has a S3 CDL TFSI engine not a TSI like the facelift FR so has a timing belt not a chain which is good news.

I changed my fuel pump follower myself at 65k, easy job. It was just starting to wear through the hardened top of the follower so for 35 quid was worth changing!

I updated the firmware on my stereo which gives a phone menu which I use loads, and makes the sound quality of the radio better too.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

T0ma5

Jan 27, 2018
Hi, I have a 2010 Cupra. Had it for a while so have learnt a bit about it.

You can't stream Bluetooth on a 310, I read the stereo instructions, it literally says don't use the streaming button as it doesn't work (so why did they put it on the menu!?!)

Also the 2010 Cupra has a S3 CDL TFSI engine not a TSI like the facelift FR so has a timing belt not a chain which is good news.

I changed my fuel pump follower myself at 65k, easy job. It was just starting to wear through the hardened top of the follower so for 35 quid was worth changing!

I updated the firmware on my stereo which gives a phone menu which I use loads, and makes the sound quality of the radio better too.

That’s some quality information there. That’s for the insight.

Interesting to hear about the timing belt, that’s good news. Shame about the Bluetooth though! Is there anyway to retrofit Bluetooth capability to it?

Cheers

elnigel

Nov 25, 2002
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Visit site
I think it's only Bluetooth for phone calls. Don't think it can be retrofitted sadly.

I specifically looked for a Cupra over a fr as I didn't want a flaky cam chained engine. VW have now gone back to belt drive for just about all petrols, that says alot!

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I think it's only Bluetooth for phone calls. Don't think it can be retrofitted sadly.

I specifically looked for a Cupra over a fr as I didn't want a flaky cam chained engine. VW have now gone back to belt drive for just about all petrols, that says alot!

Morning,

I see you updated your 310 firmware, can I ask what version you went to as it seems that only the cupra r has version 0231 it seems...

I got a firmware recovery cd for the 310 incase it went wrong but any info from yourself would be great.

Do you get the current speed picture on your nav now?

Cheers

------------------------------------------------------------------

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.